Jerry Jones: Weeden wasn’t taking chances, Cassel will

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
[h=1]Jerry Jones: Weeden wasn’t taking chances, Cassel will[/h] Posted by Michael David Smith on October 17, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

When you first look at Cowboys quarterback Brandon Weeden’s stats, they don’t look worthy of a benching: Weeden completed 72.4 percent of his passes and only threw two interceptions in his three starts. But Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says there’s more than meets the eye with Weeden.
Jones said on 105.3 The Fan that Weeden was too cautious, and the Cowboys need a quarterback who will take some chances. That’s what next week’s starter, Matt Cassel, will do.

“I think he’s also got experience in basically just stepping up in the pocket and making some plays,” Jones said of Cassel. “Now, he will, with that experience though, do something that Weeden was not doing. Weeden was so conservative, he was coached to be conservative to a degree, but he was not taking chances with that ball. Now, we know you can’t make plays if you don’t take some chances. So, we’ll see more of that. We could see the risk of that hit us a little bit, but hopefully we’ll be getting our share of them over on the defense with this group we’ve got.”

The problem, however, is that Cassel often takes too many chances and therefore throws too many interceptions. Jones acknowledged that he wanted Weeden’s safety-first approach, “until we didn’t win.” Now the Cowboys hope they can win with Cassel. As Jones said, “That’s why we got him.”
-------------

More idiocy.

There is no guarantee Cassel will take more chances.

He was Captain Checkdown in Buffalo in camp, it is well documented.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I hope Cassel does better but frankly there is no compelling reason to think he will.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I hope Cassel does better but frankly there is no compelling reason to think he will.
Unfortunately true. But Weeden's way is guaranteed to lose over the course of a full game, so they have to make a change.

I know one thing, he'll get good pass protection.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I hope you are right but interceptions won't help either.
im ready to deal with some picks as long as they are few and far between, and there are touchdowns
occurring at a steady rate.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
im ready to deal with some picks as long as they are few and far between, and there are touchdowns
As long as the TD's are coming faster then the INT's I'll be happy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Have you seen Cassel's TD to interception rate? It's nearly 1 to 1.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think we're going to see more of the same game plan as before with Cassell in but with a more effective dink and dunk QB. Maybe we'll get a few shots downfield, but that won't figure into the game plan with Brad Johnson II under center.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Have you seen Cassel's TD to interception rate? It's nearly 1 to 1.
and im not even saying he has to throw for scores. we simply need touchdowns, regardless. weeden couldnt move the team whatsoever, nor convert downs to keep any semblance of a drive alive. I think our first down stat is probably pretty fugly
under weedens watch, and by that I mean the number of first downs we had per game with Weeden at helm.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Weeden threw 28 TDs to 30 ints.

Cassel is 96 TDs to 70 ints.
That's correct. That's why I say don't rely on things getting better. The both have bad ratios.

p1_

DCC 4Life
That's correct. That's why I say don't rely on things getting better. The both have bad ratios.
but if you rely only on that one stat, the better QB is clearly
Cassell.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
but if you rely only on that one stat, the better QB is clearly
Cassell.
I'm not relying on either. I think there won't be much difference as far the net result but I am hoping there will be. I think by the time Cassel gets his bearings , Romo will be back.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Cassel didn't have the protection he'll have moving forward.

I'm very concerned about the running game he'll have though.

If Christine Michael pans out Dallas has a real shot this year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
There is a pretty big difference in terms of TD to int ratio.
1.38 to .93, so yes, that is pretty significant.

Top Bottom