Patrick Robinson

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Good.

All in all, a decent FA haul. We should have went harder after one of the top talents (Weddle, Trevathan, Miller) and signed another mid-range guy (Whitehead, Nelson, Shelby, Demario Davis) but people acting like this is a disastrous offseason are being over dramatic.

Now the only thing left to do is draft a QB at 4.
If he's a franchise caliber guy, then it's a slam dunk.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Wrench thrown into Cowboys' negotiations with CB Patrick Robinson

Wrench thrown into Cowboys' negotiations with CB Patrick Robinson

A wrench has been thrown into negotiations with free agent Patrick Robinson .

The holdup: the cornerback has changed agents. Club officials began discussions with Kevin Conner but have now been told that Ron Butler represents Robinson.

"We've had a couple of visits with his new agent,'' executive vice president Stephen Jones said late Tuesday afternoon. "He lives here in Boca. We're hoping at a minimum we're going to visit this afternoon or early this evening.''

Here, based on conversations with several sources, is what has gone on behind the scenes.

The Cowboys began to negotiate with Conner before Robinson paid a visit to Valley Ranch. The parameters of a three-year deal had been agreed to in principle. That's why a source said Monday that the Cowboys were farther along in their negotiations with Robinson than running back Alfred Morris.

At some point Monday, Butler notified club officials that he now represents Robinson. That's when discussions with Butler began.

Stars

DCC 4Life
A wrench has been thrown into negotiations with free agent Patrick Robinson .

The holdup: the cornerback has changed agents. Club officials began discussions with Kevin Conner but have now been told that Ron Butler represents Robinson.

"We've had a couple of visits with his new agent,'' executive vice president Stephen Jones said late Tuesday afternoon. "He lives here in Boca. We're hoping at a minimum we're going to visit this afternoon or early this evening.''

Here, based on conversations with several sources, is what has gone on behind the scenes.

The Cowboys began to negotiate with Conner before Robinson paid a visit to Valley Ranch. The parameters of a three-year deal had been agreed to in principle. That's why a source said Monday that the Cowboys were farther along in their negotiations with Robinson than running back Alfred Morris.

At some point Monday, Butler notified club officials that he now represents Robinson. That's when discussions with Butler began.
Sounds like this guy really has shit together... :unsure

Rayman

Brand New Member
Sounds like this guy really has shit together... :unsure
Now he is going to visit the Colts. I would guess that any so called agreement we thought was there is now out the window.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Ramsey back on the table at CB.

Daillest88

Brand New Member
dick move, but he's gotta get what he can get in the NFL, I hope we don't give him more.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hopefully this still gets done. I'm not really giving up, the Miami thing could just as easily be a leverage move by the new dickbag agent.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys not out of Patrick Robinson chase

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

BOCA RATON, Fla. – The Dallas Cowboys showed up at the NFL owners meetings believing they were going to sign Patrick Robinson, but they left on Wednesday with the free-agent cornerback visiting the Indianapolis Colts.

In negotiations, the Cowboys received word Robinson changed agents from Kevin Conner to Ron Butler. They had their first discussions with Butler on Monday and the organization spoke with him again on Tuesday. According to a source, a deal was agreed to in principle with Conner last week and was expected to be signed after he visited the team on Monday and took a physical.

“I think he’s one of those guys that wants to be thorough and then I think he’s going to sit down with his family and agent and make a decision,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “And hopefully we’re still in it. We’re certainly not out of it. That’s what I’ve been told. We’d still like to have him, too. We respect the fact that he wants to see what’s out there.”

Robinson would be the second cornerback the Cowboys signed in free agency, joining Morris Claiborne, who remained with the club in a one-year deal. Robinson had one interception in 16 games (10 starts for the San Diego Chargers in 2015 after a four-year run with the New Orleans Saints. The Cowboys had interest in Robinson last year before he opted to join the Chargers.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Feh. Not interested in a bidding war with the Colts for a 2nd tier CB.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
Feh. Not interested in a bidding war with the Colts for a 2nd tier CB.
agreed. He's a solid nickel corner but we can still get that in free agency. Can you honestly say Patrick Robinson is a much better player right now than Leon Hall? Let me answer that. No, you cant.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Carr being on this roster is an impediment to signing any free agent corner. It is not like they can offer a free agent a role more than exists at the moment. Any incentive deal is going to have snaps, etc, built into it. Being assured of being a starter makes that kind of contract more attractive. How can you negotiate saying well, uh, you could be our starter, err, nickel, or fourth corner?

Jiggyfly

Banned
Carr being on this roster is an impediment to signing any free agent corner. It is not like they can offer a free agent a role more than exists at the moment. Any incentive deal is going to have snaps, etc, built into it. Being assured of being a starter makes that kind of contract more attractive. How can you negotiate saying well, uh, you could be our starter, err, nickel, or fourth corner?
So let me get this straight.

In one post you are saying you don't want to get into a bidding war for this type of corner but then cutting Carr and negotiating from a position of need is better?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
So let me get this straight.

In one post you are saying you don't want to get into a bidding war for this type of corner but then cutting Carr and negotiating from a position of need is better?
How is it need? At this stage of free agency, most teams have their rosters set for the draft. Teams don't cut guys on June 1st anymore. My comments are two different things. Not interested if he doesn't like our offer, in other words, not budging if that is the plan. So how on earth can a team compete for a free agency? First is money. Second is a steady job with playing time. Neither of which Dallas can offer if Carr is sitting there.

Jiggyfly

Banned
How is it need? At this stage of free agency, most teams have their rosters set for the draft. Teams don't cut guys on June 1st anymore. My comments are two different things. Not interested if he doesn't like our offer, in other words, not budging if that is the plan. So how on earth can a team compete for a free agency? First is money. Second is a steady job with playing time. Neither of which Dallas can offer if Carr is sitting there.
If Carr was not there Robinson's price would be higher because Dallas would have a glaring need.

Dallas has plenty of money to offer a player of his caliber, Carr has no bearing except driving his market down for Dallas.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Carr was not there Robinson's price would be higher because Dallas would have a glaring need.
I can't speak for our retarded ownership, but for all we know they thought they rode out the big wave of expensive free agents, the ones worth a shit and competing against and now they had the last few dregs. Hall was one of them. He left town without an offer. Now Robinson.

So just imagine this.

Robinson is there. No Jerry Jones. No Stephen Jones. No Jason Garrett. He is negotiating via phone with a designated minion like Bisaccia as the steward for his visit.

You get there and you don't like what you hear. Nor does anyone seem to be bothered to make you feel important. You just sign the deal agreed to in principle before because you are a man of your word? This is not a one way street. And most of the time, the players have the upper hand unless the team makes them feel otherwise.

Dallas has plenty of money to offer a player of his caliber, Carr has no bearing except driving his market down for Dallas.
This "plenty of money" thing cracks me up. There is a difference between having available cap space and operating on a budget.

And Robinson's caliber, what the hell is that? Clearly he is not a top shelf starter, he could have allowed himself to play into the second phase thinking teams would be desperate coming running to him with last minute desperate offers. That's his problem.

Clearly Dallas decided they had X to spend. And this is how their plan unfolded. But no, we don't have "plenty of money" if Goof Son or someone else decided this is what they were willing to do.

All in all, players are not going to be insulted, even at this stage of the game.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

:lol

We could fuck up a wet dream.

Top Bottom