Jerry Jones is pushing a Rams-Chargers marriage in L.A.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones is pushing a Rams-Chargers marriage in L.A.

Posted by Mike Florio on January 10, 2016, 10:11 AM EST

With the Rams, Raiders, and Chargers wanting to move to Los Angeles and St. Louis, Oakland, and San Diego not doing enough (in the opinion of the league) to justify staying put, it’s time for the NFL’s 32 owners to come up with a solution.

Per multiple league sources, the solution could be this: A Rams-Chargers forced marriage, in Inglewood or Carson.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has been pushing the Inglewood angle, which would give Rams owner Stan Kroenke what he covets (his own stadium in the L.A. area) and which would give Chargers owner Dean Spanos what he covets (a one-way ticket out of San Diego). Jones, per multiple sources, has submitted a resolution in advance of next week’s special ownership meeting in Houston aimed at forcing that specific outcome.

The Chargers are expected to push for Carson as the location of a shared venue with the Rams, if the NFL is inclined to compel that outcome. In Carson, the two teams would be true partners; in Inglewood, Kroenke would have the upper hand, as it relates to the surrounding development.

Regardless of location, a Rams-Chargers combo platter would leave the Raiders out in the cold. To get owner Mark Davis to go along with that, the total deal would likely include enough extra money to allow for Davis to build a new stadium in Oakland, or to otherwise give him a solution the mess he still has there.

Ultimately, 24 owners have to get behind whatever the league decides to do. If Chargers only (it’s close to 24) or Rams only (it’s not nearly as close to 24) can’t get it done, Chargers-Rams could.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I just don't get it.

I know the NFL wants that market, but they abreast dominate the American sports landscape without L.A.

This is a city that doesn't care. The NFL is so adamant about wanting to put a team there, but I don't know why they want to put 2. This city already had 2 teams and lost them both due to lack of interest and an empty stadium, and yet they still want to give them 2 teams again?

Doesn't make sense to me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I just don't get it.

I know the NFL wants that market, but they abreast dominate the American sports landscape without L.A.

This is a city that doesn't care. The NFL is so adamant about wanting to put a team there, but I don't know why they want to put 2. This city already had 2 teams and lost them both due to lack of interest and an empty stadium, and yet they still want to give them 2 teams again?

Doesn't make sense to me.
I think the league wants a team there, it makes common sense. This two team business is mainly because there are three teams looking to get out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the league wants a team there, it makes common sense. This two team business is mainly because there are three teams looking to get out.
I think it's kind of dumb to abandon markets in order to put 2 teams in a market that has been a failure in the past. The problem is everyone thinks they can get LA to work because the city and the money is there. Owners just think that past owners haven't figured out how to tap into that large amount of money in LA.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That's what I'm getting at....two teams there mskes no sense. They didn't support two teams way back when, and they aren't going to do it now.

If you really want those teams to relocate somewhere that would support the team, then let cities duke it out for the other two teams like they did when they brought in the Jags, Panthers, and eventually the Texans.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd prefer to see the Raiders there and that's it. They have a history there. The chargers meanwhile have been in SD for 50+ years. And there really should be a team in St. Louis. I don't think Oakland needs to have a team.

Moving 2 teams will probably open things for expansion eventually.

Edit: obviously the Rams have a history in LA also. But I feel like there should be a team in St. Louis, but Oakland doesn't matter as much, and that's the difference. St. Louis has a very strong sports and football history going back 100 years.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'd prefer to see the Raiders there and that's it. They have a history there. The chargers meanwhile have been in SD for 50+ years. And there really should be a team in St. Louis. I don't think Oakland needs to have a team.

The Raiders have practically no shot. They have had no plan and not a lot of support.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think it's kind of dumb to abandon markets in order to put 2 teams in a market that has been a failure in the past. The problem is everyone thinks they can get LA to work because the city and the money is there. Owners just think that past owners haven't figured out how to tap into that large amount of money in LA.
It's LA.

It's full of notoriously fickle fans and tofu eaters who care more about Beverly Hills and celebrities than they do sports. Their attention span is very small.

I think even one team has the potential to fail there, but two? I'd bet my house that they'll be complaining about attendance and general fan support within 2 years of moving there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think even one team has the potential to fail there, but two? I'd bet my house that they'll be complaining about attendance and general fan support with 2 years of moving there.
Especially if they don't win.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

St. Louis has the money and population to support a team. The problem is they have done nothing to get fans excited about that team. The Edward Jones dome is one of the worst venues I've ever been to. The place is literally like a cave. Absolutely no windows or sunlight and the place is run down. That city supports the Cardinals and Blues extremely well. The reason the Rams aren't supported has nothing to do with the market.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's full of notoriously fickle fans and tofu eaters who care more about Beverly Hills and celebrities than they do sports. Their attention span is very small.
It's a city that looks great on paper but history clearly tells us different. The problem is over time people start forgetting history and only pay attention to the fact that it looks good on paper. Whatever team goes to LA better make it cool for celebs to go to games like the Lakers have been.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
St. Louis has the money and population to support a team. The problem is they have done nothing to get fans excited about that team. The Edward Jones dome is one of the worst venues I've ever been to. The place is literally like a cave. Absolutely no windows or sunlight and the place is run down. That city supports the Cardinals and Blues extremely well. The reason the Rams aren't supported has nothing to do with the market.
They are the only market that has actively tried hard to keep their team. They have a publicly funded stadium plan, but the NFL wants more rights to the proceeds from other events in the venue.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Especially if they don't win.
Which is very possible when you look at the crap teams that are in the discussion.

The Chargers? An eternal loser.

The Raiders? They've got nice pieces, but their leadership as a whole still lacks and you can't trust them to make the right decisions going forward.

The Rams? Another team that can't seem to get right ever since their greatest show on turf days. Like the other two, they've been flirting with mediocrity for about a decade.

I don't know what team is going to end up there, but I'll be rooting against them no matter who they are.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They are the only market that has actively tried hard to keep their team. They have a publicly funded stadium plan, but the NFL wants more rights to the proceeds from other events in the venue.
It's a good sports town. A new stadium would do wonders there. And then maybe just do something for the fans to actually get excited about on the field.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't really care as long as this nonsense keeps Jerry busy through the draft.

dallen

Senior Tech

Edit: obviously the Rams have a history in LA also. But I feel like there should be a team in St. Louis, but Oakland doesn't matter as much, and that's the difference. St. Louis has a very strong sports and football history going back 100 years.
That would be my preference too. There isn't a lot of overlap between 49ers and Raiders fans, but the area does already have a second team. Chargers fans and Rams fans will be left out in the cold.. Won't happen though

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

According to the map that came up showing popularity of NFL teams by county (based on FB likes) LA county has more Raider fans than any other franchise. OTOH, Oakland has more SF fans than Raider fans.

Top Bottom