NFL versus NBA - Which one is tougher and stuff

peplaw06

Brand New Member
Not uncommon and unheard of are two different things, it's rare to hear of a NFL player dying that soon after playing and it's not always football related.
Wait a minute... I'm trying to figure out... are you also arguing that playing in the NBA is as dangerous or more dangerous than playing in the NFL? I know Genghis Khan is... Just curious who else is on that ledge.

It's much easier to find a 2nd string guard in the NFL than it is in the NBA and that's why 1st round picks mean much more in Football than Basketball and there are only 2 rounds.
1st round picks are gold in both leagues. 2nd round picks in the NFL mean more than in the NBA.

But number of draft picks really doesn't have much to do with how easy it is to replace a player in a given league.

MLB has like 50 rounds in the draft each year... they have a minor league system to train and replenish talent. I suppose if the theory held true, then they would be making peanuts compared to NFL players, right? They make more than all of em.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
Easily, you see guys let go every year with NFL teams with little drop-off, this does not happen in the NBA.
:lol

I don't see any quantifying going on here. You've offered an anecdotal and conclusory statement. That's hardly proof.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Wait a minute... I'm trying to figure out... are you also arguing that playing in the NBA is as dangerous or more dangerous than playing in the NFL? I know Genghis Khan is... Just curious who else is on that ledge.

1st round picks are gold in both leagues. 2nd round picks in the NFL mean more than in the NBA.

But number of draft picks really doesn't have much to do with how easy it is to replace a player in a given league.

MLB has like 50 rounds in the draft each year... they have a minor league system to train and replenish talent. I suppose if the theory held true, then they would be making peanuts compared to NFL players, right? They make more than all of em.
Of course football is more dangerous.

And after the top 10 picks in basketball there is a 20% chance they get a second contract, while in football most 1st round picks are considered viable 1st day starters and cornerstone players.

It's not really even close the value of draft picks in the NBA and the NFL.

Jiggyfly

Banned
:lol

I don't see any quantifying going on here. You've offered an anecdotal and conclusory statement. That's hardly proof.
What?

I see we are pulling out the big words to try and muddy up the waters.:lol

There is nothing anecdotal about that statement it happens every year in the NFL.

Anyway I am done this is the wrong thread.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
Of course football is more dangerous.
Good, I didn't think anyone else would suggest otherwise.

And after the top 10 picks in basketball there is a 20% chance they get a second contract,
Link?
while in football most 1st round picks are considered viable 1st day starters and cornerstone players.

It's not really even close the value of draft picks in the NBA and the NFL.
But there are also fewer roster spots in the NBA and guys play longer in the NBA.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I used the term exactly as I meant to... Common sense does nothing to help you in this conversation. Sorry.
You used the term ambiguously, which means it gets interpreted against the drafter (you).

My answer of common sense is perfectly valid.

I'm not doing your math for you. If you can't see that it's easier to replace a good player in football than it is in basketball, I don't know what to tell you.

peplaw06

Brand New Member
I'm not doing your math for you. If you can't see that it's easier to replace a good player in football than it is in basketball, I don't know what to tell you.
Yeah, that's what I thought. When pressed on a statement you have nothing to back it up with but the original statement. Your assertion of an opinion doesn't make the opinion true, no matter how many times you say it.

It's not my math I'm asking you to do, it's yours. You stated that it's easier to replace a good player in football than basketball. The burden of proof is on you. But you "don't know what to tell" me. Not surprising.

Last edited:

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah, that's what I thought. When pressed on a statement you have nothing to back it up with but the original statement. Your assertion of an opinion doesn't make the opinion true, no matter how many times you say it.

It's not my math I'm asking you to do, it's yours. You stated that it's easier to replace a good player in football than basketball. The burden of proof is on you. But you "don't know what to tell" me. Not surprising.
The point is that you can mitigate losing a great player in the NFL easier than you can in the NBA. Dez is a top 5 WR, but he has a limited role and impact when you consider that he's reliant on what the OL does, what the QB does, then you have to consider the impact that a defense has, a completely different unit that is on the field for roughly half the game that Dez has no direct bearing on. A top 10 player in NFL has a compartmentalized job compared to a top 10 player in the NBA.

The inherent nature of basketball is what makes it so much more difficult to replace truly elite players, there is less strategy, there is no substitute for natural talent in the NBA because you can't scheme around certain weaknesses/deficiencies like you can in the NFL, generally speaking. A guy like LeBron or Anthony Davis has an impact on literally everything that happens on the court, offensively and defensively, and the fact that there are only 10 players on the court at any given time, as well as 12 players on a team, make elite individuals in the NBA more important to their team than elite individuals in the NFL, outside of QB's.

Draft picks are important in any sport but if you ask any NBA fan they'll tell you that the chance of landing a truly impact player if you're picking outside of the top 10-15 picks is very small, that obviously isn't the case in the NFL. The bottom line is that in the NFL you can be an elite player in a certain set of circumstances but not elite in another, that is not the case in the NBA, which gets to my point that natural talent wins in the NBA whereas in the NFL you can scheme around certain things easier or enhance certain players based on their surroundings. It's also easier to miss on football players because a player in college could be falsely enhanced based on their surroundings (Alabama players, USC QB's, etc.) or covered up due to the anonymity of their team or lack of surrounding talent.

The best way to look at it is in the NBA basically every single one of the top 20-30 players in the league went in the 1st round of the draft, the vast majority in the top 5 or 10. If you look at the top players in the NFL it's littered with guys who went in the back half of the draft. Also, in the NFL you have countless guys like James Harrison, Jimmy Smith, Tony Romo, Antonio Gates, Jeff Saturday, Kurt Warner, Arian Foster and Brian Waters who either go undrafted or spend years in obscurity, sometimes bouncing around from team to team, before they cement themselves as elite players, or even HOF'ers.

That literally never happens in the NBA outside of one guy in Ben Wallace, and you could argue that he was basically just a product of his surroundings because he was only asked to rebound and defend, with literally no real offensive responsibilities. You never see guys in the NBA who go undrafted, or are cut, bouncing around from team to team, never playing for years and then all of a sudden they're a superstar, that alone tells you that finding elite players in the NBA is much more difficult.

Top Bottom