DC.com - Staff Writers Give Their “Two Cents” With Cowboys’ Personalized Mock Draft

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Sadly, I don't think they take Elliot if they don't take a QB. I think he would be a difference maker with this line though. NOt Emmitt good, but very close to the same type of RB in my opinion.
I don't either. I think if we stay at 4 we're going to take a defensive player. Can probably expect a solid player but none are game-changers top 5 caliber franchise players.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Sadly, I don't think they take Elliot if they don't take a QB. I think he would be a difference maker with this line though. NOt Emmitt good, but very close to the same type of RB in my opinion.
Sadly I agree.

Still, I'd be happy with Buckner and even Bosa. I'd feel our chances this season and in the future were improved and that we got strong value.

I'd be a bit happier if they took a QB, because it meant they believed the guy was franchise caliber and worth taking now even if it means him sitting two full years. That ensures the future.

But I'd be totally energized if Dallas took Elliott. Talk of Romo lasting three seasons behind healthy Dez, Elliott, and maybe the NFL's best OL ever actually becomes a possibility because he doesn't have to do every damned thing.

The OL is at its peak right now, not three years from now. Now.

It gives us the same shot we had in 2014 with Dez, a premiere back, and Scandrick healthy. Maybe even a better shot with Collins here, Lee healthy, Lawrence matured and Thompson solidifying the defensive interior. Even Gregory might contribute. Maybe. Ok, granted that's a pipe dream, but I'm an optimist.

We take Elliott, then our biggest weaknesses are at LDE, one Safety spot, and maybe overall WR speed.

We overcome those weaknesses with offensive strength.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
One could easily argue that our OL will be better 3 years from now than they are now actually.

Tyron and Martin will be 28/29, Travis Frederick will be 27/28 and Collins will be 26, I'd say the peak years for most OL are probably somewhere around 27-32. No reason to think this OL peaked when these guys are between 23-26 years old.

Now, you never know what the future holds in terms of injuries, fluke accidents and so forth, but barring anything like that it's probably likely that our OL is better then than it is now.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
One could easily argue that our OL will be better 3 years from now than they are now actually.

Tyron and Martin will be 28/29, Travis Frederick will be 27/28 and Collins will be 26, I'd say the peak years for most OL are probably somewhere around 27-32. No reason to think this OL peaked when these guys are between 23-26 years old.

Now, you never know what the future holds in terms of injuries, fluke accidents and so forth, but barring anything like that it's probably likely that our OL is better then than it is now.
IF you can keep them all...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
IF you can keep them all...
Won't be an issue.

Smith is already signed long-term to a ridiculously inexpensive deal, Frederick is up soon but Martin and Collins still have 2 more years of rookie-scale level salaries before we have to worry about them.

Two years from now most of the biggest salaries on this team will be off or nearly off the books in terms of Romo, Lee, Carr and Witten. Free is on a decent sized salary (around 5 per year) and will be gone, same with Church. Hell, you even have guys like Dez, Scandrick and Crawford who will be running up on to the last year or two of their deals by then, meaning they could easily be cut if need be.

Other than the OL there aren't many guys who will require big long-term contracts either, the only clear ones right now are Lawrence and Jones but they aren't even slam dunks like you know the guys on the OL will be.

Combine that with the fact that the cap will only continue to go up and I'm not concerned at all, they will keep this OL together.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Won't be an issue.

Smith is already signed long-term to a ridiculously inexpensive deal, Frederick is up soon but Martin and Collins still have 2 more years of rookie-scale level salaries before we have to worry about them.

Two years from now most of the biggest salaries on this team will be off or nearly off the books in terms of Romo, Lee, Carr and Witten. Free is on a decent sized salary (around 5 per year) and will be gone, same with Church. Hell, you even have guys like Dez, Scandrick and Crawford who will be running up on to the last year or two of their deals by then, meaning they could easily be cut if need be.

Other than the OL there aren't many guys who will require big long-term contracts either, the only clear ones right now are Lawrence and Jones but they aren't even slam dunks like you know the guys on the OL will be.

Combine that with the fact that the cap will only continue to go up and I'm not concerned at all, they will keep this OL together.
Never underestimate greed, and those contracts coming off will be replaced by others coming in probably. I agree that it should work out, but I don't think you can call it a done deal. In two years someone might throw LT money at Martin and/or Collins and that will be hard to match...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Agreed we're not going to be terrible, so we're talking relative strength.

Right now we've got four first round pedigree talents in years 6, 4, 3, and 2 and only one second contract signed. They are great right now and are young with no significant negative injury history. Free's still good and all four stars are healthy and have brought their talent to the field.

We even have a stud backup in Leary who could play at either guard position.

How does it seriously improve from there?

The injury situation certainly won't improve, though it could well worsen, and the future RT being as good as Doug Free is a crap shoot.

Then there's the question of keeping the stars.

At 27 Martin and Fred are FA's and Collins a FA at age 24/25. So Frederick, Collins, and Martin will be back-to-back-to-back re-ups in that order.

30-year old Alex Mack just signed for 5/45 with 28.5 mil guaranteed-- and the price keeps going up. If we've learned anything, Tyron is going to be restructured and have money added to his deal too. It just seems unrealistic that we keep all of them.

The way Dallas stays good is by continuing to draft and develop OL, the typical crap shoot.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Staff Writers Give Their “Two Cents” With Cowboys’ Personalized Mock Draft

Friday, April 15, 2016 5:10 PM CDT

By DallasCowboys.com Report

IRVING, Texas – It’s less than two weeks until the 2016 NFL Draft, and the pecking order just got thrown into disarray by a blockbuster trade.

With the Los Angeles Rams trading up to No. 1 overall on Thursday, it’s anyone’s guess how the rest of the draft order shakes out behind them. With a quarterback likely taking the top spot, what does that mean for the Cowboys’ pick at No. 4?

The staff of DallasCowboys.com – Bryan Broaddus, Nick Eatman, David Helman and Rob Phillips – will try their best to answer that question with their second seven-round mock draft of the year.

Bryan
David
Nick
Rob
Round 1
Joey
Bosa
DE - Ohio St.​
Jalen
Ramsey
DB - Florida St.​
Jalen
Ramsey
DB - Florida St.​
Joey
Bosa
DE - Ohio St.​
Round 2
Derrick
Henry
RB - Alabama​
Kevin
Dodd
DE - Clemson​
Will
Fuller
WR - Notre Dame​
Xavien
Howard
CB - Baylor​
Round 3
Tyler
Boyd
WR - Pittsburgh.​
C.J.
Prosise
RB - Notre Dame​
Jonathan
Williams

RB - Arkansas​
Alex
Collins

RB - Arkansas
Round 4
Hassan
Ridgeway
DT - Texas.​
Brandon
Allen
QB - Arkansas​
Christian
Hackenberg
QB - Penn St.​
Kolby
Listenbee
WR - TCU
Round 4
Jacoby
Brissett
QB - N. Carolina St.​
Cyrus
Jones
CB - Alabama​
Nick
Kwiatkoski
LB - West Virginia​
Blake
Martinez
LB - Stanford
Round 6
Cory
James
LB - Colorado St.​
Victor
Ochi
DE - Stony Brook​
Spencer
Drango
G/T - Baylor​
Jeff
Driskel
QB - Louisiana Tech
Round 6
Jeremiah
McKinnon
CB - Florida Intl.​
Jordan
Payton
WR - UCLA​
Antwione
Williams
DE - Georgia Southern​
Quinton
Jefferson
DT - Maryland
Round
Rolan
Milligan

S - Toledo
De'Vondre
Campbell

LB - Minnesota
Trevone
Boykin

WR/QB - TCU
Mike
Matthews

C - Texas A&M
Round
Rashard
Robinson

CB - LSU
Rico
Gathers

TE - Baylor
Marqui
Christian

S - Midwestern St.
Kyle
Murphy

OT - Stanford

Bryan Broaddus: If Jalen Ramsey is not on the board then this selection is likely to come down to Joey Bosa or Ezekiel Elliott. Last time we did this exercise I gave the Cowboys Elliott so I will roll with Bosa this time. Derrick Henry will make it through the first round and there will be a decision here between him and a safety or receiver – this time he is my guy. Tyler Boyd is as steady as they come. Hassan Ridgeway can play any of the defensive line positions. Jacoby Brissett is in that second wave of quarterbacks. His size and arm talent are too much to pass up. Cory James played in 4-3/3-4 schemes at Colorado State and was very productive. Change of direction is impressive. Jeremiah McKinnon can play out of the slot and he is very good down the field. Rolan Milligan plays with range and is a finisher. When on the move he can cover some ground. Rashard Robinson might be one of the most talented cornerbacks in this draft when you study his tape. His off the field issues are there but worth a shot in the 6th round so you don’t have to fight for him as an undrafted free agent.

David Helman: It’s no guarantee, but the Rams’ big move up to No. 1 might just drive Jalen Ramsey down the draft board. Los Angeles will take one of the big two quarterbacks, and the Cowboys need Cleveland to either draft the other or trade to a team that will. From there, I’d guess San Diego drafts Laremy Tunsil, leaving Ramsey – arguably the best talent in the entire draft – as the No. 4 overall pick. I like Dodd because he’s got the ability to rush the passer, but he also has the size and power to hold up against the run. The Cowboys get their running back of the future in Prosise, who they liked enough to bring to Valley Ranch. I’m not thrilled about waiting until the fourth round to grab Allen, but that’s the way the board broke. Allen has experience and intangibles that give cause for optimism. Cyrus Jones gives you a nickel corner of the future if Orlando Scandrick wants to play on the outside – not to mention he’s a dynamic returner. It’s a gamble, but why not risk an inexpensive pick on Gathers. If he’s athletic to be an All-American power forward, he may have a future at tight end.

Nick Eatman: For right now, this is what just seems to make sense. I think it could change before the draft, but the Rams trade probably opens up a position player and pushes Ramsey down to the Cowboys. Maybe it’s Laremy Tunsil, but something tells me the clear-cut No. 1 pick a few days ago just doesn’t drop to No. 4 because of one trade. I stuck with Fuller because he’s got the blazing speed and I switched Arkansas running backs from Alex Collins to Williams, but had to move up a round. Kwiatkoski has great instincts and finds the ball, which could make him an immediate special teams player. Drango and Williams add some versatility, as does Boykin, who could be this year’s version of Patrick Crayton, if he could develop into a receiver.

Rob Phillips: The top-five dynamic may have shifted with the Rams now picking No. 1, but I’m sticking with Bosa to the Cowboys as my mock No. 4. He still makes the most sense to me in terms of filling the biggest need on the roster. The Cowboys have taken steps to address their defensive line in free agency, but they need another pressure player, and Bosa has the motor needed to play for Rod Marinelli. I’m also sticking with a cornerback in the second round, but this time it’s Howard instead of William Jackson III, who seems to be rising into the first-round conversation in various mock drafts. In Rounds 3 and 4 I addressed offensive depth needs at running back and wide receiver again. In Round 6, Driskel could develop into a primary backup for an NFL team over time.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I will break something if we go the route of Eatman's mock. Good Christ.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rob's and Bryan's aren't bad but they both totally screw us at QB and waste a oick in an absolute turd QB. Otherwise I like both of them.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I wouldn't like it at all either but lets not act like its break stuff bad. Now if we trade up to 2 and then pick Ramsey it would be.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't like it at all either but lets not act like its break stuff bad. Now if we trade up to 2 and then pick Ramsey it would be.
He really hates Fuller but Fuller would be the ultimate compliment to Dez and privide good value at that spot in the draft.

Carl

RIP Brother
Hopefully a couple of ribs. In the meantime, I do not want any part of that Alabama RB, Henry. He will be a waste of a pick for someone.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He really hates Fuller but Fuller would be the ultimate compliment to Dez and privide good value at that spot in the draft.
The bodycatcher isnt the only one that he doesnt like.

Top Bottom