Which coach would you hire if you could fire Jason Garrett?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think everyone here with a functioning brain is tired of 'seeing what's being built here'. Firing Garrett and probably the entire staff is a pretty universal opinion among Cowboys fans. My question is: Who would you hire to replace him if Sean Payton turns out not to be available. I think everyone here would like Payton, but it's not 100% that NO will let him out of his contract.

Who would be your plan B?

I'm not married to this idea, but I'd be willing to bring back Rat Salad (aka Todd Haley). He's coordinated one team to a Super Bowl (AZ). He made the playoffs with Matt Cassel at QB in KC. He's won games with backup QBs to keep the Steelers in the playoff hunt this year and with him as OC Roethlisberger has looked like his late aughts self again.

I could list a number of other candidates but I'd be interested to read other people's nominations for the job.

Ken Wisenhut would be an option. Other than han what he did for Arizona I don't think the Titans game him enough time to help the team. Obviously my first choice would be Sean Payton.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jim Harbaugh...

Ok, I know he won't leave Michigan that quickly but I can always dream.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Ken Wisenhut would be an option. Other than han what he did for Arizona I don't think the Titans game him enough time to help the team. Obviously my first choice would be Sean Payton.
Ken seems like a figurehead that couldn't replicate his success without the offensive mind that drove that run. I'd rather have the guy who has been able to be part of a quality offense in 3 different stops.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think I give Mike Holmgren a call. He's only been out of the league a couple of years, and I don't think he would bow to Jerry's will.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I think I give Mike Holmgren a call. He's only been out of the league a couple of years, and I don't think he would bow to Jerry's will.
I really don't want another 90s offense that won't work in the NFL any more. Give me an OC that can innovate while Walrus figureheads, I could live with it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I really don't want another 90s offense that won't work in the NFL any more. Give me an OC that can innovate while Walrus figureheads, I could live with it.
He did pretty good in Seattle while he was there. With shit at QB.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He did pretty good in Seattle while he was there. With shit at QB.
He went to the SB against Cowher a decade ago. The WCO was still turning shit into gold at QB all over the league. Defenses have mostly figured it out now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Matt Hasselbeck is shit?

Anyway, within the realm of reality (no Harbaugh, etc.), in no particular order, a few names I'd go with:

Darell Bevell (Seahawks OC for about 5 years)
Sean McDermott (Panthers DC for about 5 years)
Harold Goodwin (Cardinals OC, although I think he's basically a glorified OL coach with added responsibility since Arians calls plays. He has been with Arians for damn near a decade now though and I absolutely love his philosophy on football so I think I'd be willing to take a chance on a guy who has moved up through the ranks under Arians wing.)

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Matt Hasselbeck is shit?

Anyway, within the realm of reality (no Harbaugh, etc.), in no particular order, a few names I'd go with:

Darell Bevell (Seahawks OC for about 5 years)
Sean McDermott (Panthers DC for about 5 years)
Harold Goodwin (Cardinals OC, although I think he's basically a glorified OL coach with added responsibility since Arians calls plays. He has been with Arians for damn near a decade now though and I absolutely love his philosophy on football so I think I'd be willing to take a chance on a guy who has moved up through the ranks under Arians wing.)
Yes to the first two. Adam Gase is also not a bad choice (Former Broncos, current Bears OC). Hue Jackson is getting some run, he landed on his feet in Cincy. Dennis Allen is another guy I think didn't get a fair deal in Oakland.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Matt Hasselbeck is shit?
As Superbowl QBs go, yes.

I'd love Holmgren if he were younger. He should have been hired in 2011 when he was practically campaigning for this job.

At his age now, I have no idea if he still has the drive and energy necessary.

As for coaches now, I might give McDaniels a look if I thought he'd really learned from his first job.

Whoever it is, I want the anti-Garrett, someone who has experience being an innovative coach and isn't just a slick talker. I've had enough of the politician BS. We need someone who can give our players a schematic advantage.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

I'd love Holmgren if he were younger. He should have been hired in 2011 when he was practically campaigning for this job.

At his age now, I have no idea if he still has the drive and energy necessary.

As for coaches now, I might give McDaniels a look if I thought he'd really learned from his first job.

Whoever it is, I want the anti-Garrett, someone who has experience being an innovative coach and isn't just a slick talker. I've had enough of the politician BS. We need someone who can give our players a schematic advantage.
I think McDaniels first failure was glaring enough to show that he didn't have the personality to be a head coach.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Would Jerry go back to a Coordinator or a retread? Pretty sure he is going to require a name for this one.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I think McDaniels first failure was glaring enough to show that he didn't have the personality to be a head coach.
That may very well be true. I think he's said he knows he made a mistake being so confrontational and "my way or the highway" at Denver, but you're right, that doesn't necessarily mean he can change enough to make a real difference.

townsend

Banned
I would put him above Dilfer, Collins, Brad Johnson Kapernick and McNair. On par with Delhomme , Flacco, and Bledsoe. He was good enough to be great, as long as there was a strong running game.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
That may very well be true. I think he's said he knows he made a mistake being so confrontational and "my way or the highway" at Denver, but you're right, that doesn't necessarily mean he can change enough to make a real difference.
Power corrupts. Once you reward one of those guys they get arrogant again. Another arrogant Garrett clone is not worth the organization's time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
McDermott would probably be my top choice. But again, what guy is going to come to Dallas? Holmgren would, but I have no desire for that.

junk

Not So New Member
Again, probably a pointless exercise since Jerry really doesn't want a HC with the chops to actually be a good coach. I suspect Garrett is back next year anyway.

Having said that, a few names I'd consider:
Mark Dantonio
Brian Kelly
Hue Jackson
Gus Malzahn

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
McDermott would probably be my top choice. But again, what guy is going to come to Dallas? Holmgren would, but I have no desire for that.
Why McDermott? Isn't that just basically Rivera's defense?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Why McDermott? Isn't that just basically Rivera's defense?
Coming from Jim Johnson's coaching tree is pretty solid. He got run out of Philly after being the guy that followed the guy so fat Andy could replace him with an offensive coach.

He's been doing it long enough that he deserves some credit for the last few years' defensive performance.

Top Bottom