Week 4 Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys at Saints |10/04/2015

I
:lol

Fucking Calvin Johnson. I needed 7 pts from him in my money league to remain undefeated at 4-0. He's going in for the TD that would give me the win, but instead fumbles.

What a perfect turd on top of the shit sundae of a sports weekend.
Yeah me too, he killed me on that one..

BipolarFuk

Demoted

Fucking Calvin Johnson. I needed 7 pts from him in my money league to remain undefeated at 4-0. He's going in for the TD that would give me the win, but instead fumbles.

Talk about a guy who declined quick.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Seems like most players and coaches didn't realize that intentionally batting the ball out of bounds was illegal.

Even the retired players on NFLN were oblivious to the rule.

I thought that rule was common knowledge.

This is a perfect example of why I roll my eyes and laugh whenever a player throws out a comment that challenges/dismisses the fans knowledge of the game. We know the game better than most of the guys playing.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

I was leading a guy who had CJ by 5 points. I thought for sure I was going to lose. :towel

Jiggyfly

Banned
He'd be great to have. We used Dunbar in a role that I would have loved to have Spiller for.
Do not think paying a 3rd down back who can't stay healthy 4 million per year is a wise move, but to each his own.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
They did, minus the 45 yard run by Dunbar we ran 27 times for 70 yards.

You are a smart guy, but you hide behind useless stats.
Stats are just that stats. Everyone uses them to make a point. Check out Sturms article today then tell him he is hiding behind stats.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Stats are just that stats. Everyone uses them to make a point. Check out Sturms article today then tell him he is hiding behind stats.
Why am I going to read Sturm's article? I disagree with you, whatever he says has no bearing on that. Yeah...some people use them to make a point when they cannot form an opinion of their own.

Jiggyfly

Banned
They did, minus the 45 yard run by Dunbar we ran 27 times for 70 yards.

You are a smart guy, but you hide behind useless stats.
And if you minus NO's longest run what does that do to there stats?

I don't know why people are so quick to want to go the minus longest run route to prove a point, it was a run that happened like all of the other runs, why penalize a good blocked and called play?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I don't know why people are so quick to want to go the minus longest run route to prove a point, it was a run that happened like all of the other runs, why penalize a good blocked and called play?
Can we minus out the negative runs too then?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I almost forgot he was on the team. I guess that could be construed as good or bad.
Yeah it's hard to say. I know Byron Jones has been on the field. I can't think of any plays that really standout as bad but I can't really think of any big plays he has made either.

I'm just kind of lukewarm at this point. It's early though.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

It does show whether your run game is consistent or if it's feast/famine. Going for finesse running backs with 'home run potential' over a power running style has bitten us in the ass pretty hard this year.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

In the grand scheme of things, that run didn't do much for us. We got a FG at the end of that possession, and those other 27 runs and 70 yards paint a much clearer picture of how the game went and ultimately turned out for us.

So yeah, removing an abnormality from a much bigger body gives you a more accurate reading. Same reason a lot of judged events kick out both the high and low scores to remove an abnormal outlier.

So basically, stats are fun to talk about around the water cooler, but are worthless when breaking down the entirety of something. Should we be thinking Weeden's 108.8 QBR is telling us we have a HOF caliber QB under center for us right now?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It does show whether your run game is consistent or if it's feast/famine. Going for finesse running backs with 'home run potential' over a power running style has bitten us in the ass pretty hard this year.
It's arbitrary though. One day we take out the longest run. The next we take out the 3 longest runs. Any time you start to manipulate numbers in an arbitrary fashion like that it renders the point useless. Especially when you have no point of comparison. So you take away out longest run, then every running game you compare it to you have to take away their longest run too. Same if you want to take 3 long runs away.

Is our running game especially talented at creating big plays? That's the argument people seem to be making but I have no point of comparison for it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I almost forgot he was on the team. I guess that could be construed as good or bad.
Yeah it's hard to say. I know Byron Jones has been on the field. I can't think of any plays that really standout as bad but I can't really think of any big plays he has made either.

I'm just kind of lukewarm at this point. It's early though.
Usually when you don't hear a DB's name mentioned very often it's a good thing. Means he is not being a liability. Sure, he's not making big plays, but I will take "not a liability" right now in this secondary.

Carp

DCC 4Life

Just shows that we are ineffective as a running team.

We can cut the NO run out if you want, but they had an attitude with a run game and physically wore us down. It was an attitude they established, which is something we used to do.

LT mentioned how the defense let us down and that Weeden had better stats than Brees, based on his QBR being .02 higher than Brees. Nevermind the 341 yards and 2 TDs...Weeden and his 246 and 1 TD. The stats don't tell the story, watching them on the field it was very clearly than Brees was superior in every way.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I like Byron Jones and think he will get better and better. Once we move on from Church and move Wilcox to SS so Jones can play FS I think he will have a perfect niche with us.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Because outliers skew averages. If there is one run for 90 yards, then 9 more runs for a yard a piece, what do you think tells the story more accurately? That the runner averaged 9.9 ypc? Or that other than 1 run he averaged 1 yard per carry? That one play is great and all and probably got you a touchdown, but if the rest of the carries are making you punt the rest of the game, overall it's not good.

Top Bottom