Sturm: Decoding Linehan: Week 3 - St Louis

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
So do you put a lot of stock in Callahan's impact on the draft and scheme?

And by extension, the success we currently enjoy?

Callahan probably deserves some of the credit. But then not a lot changed in how the offense was run until this year when Linehan came in.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

Definitely. He and Pollack brought that Alex Gibbs style run blocking to the team and it's been a quantum leap in terms of yards per carry.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As purely an offensive line coach I think Callahan has done a wonderful job of coaching guys up. I know a bunch of people wanted to throw him out on the street this offseason when he was essentially demoted from play calling but I still think he has a bunch of value in coaching the O-line.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't know how he was as a play caller because Garrett inserted himself into the process and made a big show of not trusting him. I think for whatever reason JG is more comfortable with Linehan and Linehan has been good at playing to the offense's biggest strength, far better than I ever hoped.

To be fair to Linehan, though, he's been pass happy in Detroit but it wasn't like he refused to give Steven Jackson carries in St Louis.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think we all pretty naturally assumed Linehan would be pass happy in Dallas as well. Pleasantly surprised, and love the play where Dez was all alone. Linehan special.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Yes.

He personally scouted each guy and they have seamlessly fit into the scheme, he has to get major props for the Frederick pick alone.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think we all pretty naturally assumed Linehan would be pass happy in Dallas as well. Pleasantly surprised, and love the play where Dez was all alone. Linehan special.
I think Detroit's play calling was just as much a product of the talent he was given and the horrific nature of their defense. The Lion's didn't have a workhorse back and they were often playing from behind. So they substituted running plays with passes to their RB in Reggie Bush.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Callahan got more than a fair shot at calling plays without interference and didn't get the results we are seeing now. I think it's safe to say Linehan is just better at this role, and Callahan better at his current one.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well tbf last year Garrett wanted Eifert or Floyd, it was pretty apparent for anyone watching the warroom he was not happy about trading down. So at most he should get credit for 2 of them, though not sure how much he influenced the picks by sitting next to Charlotte in the corner.
Well I could just assume that it's coincidence that Jerry saw the light on taking OLs in the first just as soon as Garrett became head coach, but since Garrett says all the time how important the OL is -- like I do -- I have to assume that has at least something to do with the departure from a 20+ year philosophy.

Never heard anyone else in the organization prioritize it so much in public. Has to be connected.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Well I could just assume that it's coincidence that Jerry saw the light on taking OLs in the first just as soon as Garrett became head coach, but since Garrett says all the time how important the OL is -- like I do -- I have to assume that has at least something to do with the departure from a 20+ year philosophy.

Never heard anyone else in the organization prioritize it so much in public. Has to be connected.
Umm ok, so you're resorting to feelings and assumptions that Garrett was behind it all? Might as well I guess, it's the main defense of him over at the 'zone.

D

Deuce

I guess since the Cowboys never dropped $50M on a CB and then traded in the top 10 for another before, we should assume Garrett is a corner whore too.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Callahan got more than a fair shot at calling plays without interference and didn't get the results we are seeing now. I think it's safe to say Linehan is just better at this role, and Callahan better at his current one.
Garrett interfered and took playcalling back pretty fast last year, but I'm not sure Callahan would have stuck to the run either. He wouldn't run the ball enough in Oakland or Nebraska.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Umm ok, so you're resorting to feelings and assumptions that Garrett was behind it all? Might as well I guess, it's the main defense of him over at the 'zone.
Snap.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Garrett interfered and took playcalling back pretty fast last year, but I'm not sure Callahan would have stuck to the run either. He wouldn't run the ball enough in Oakland or Nebraska.

Callahan was also running Garrett's playbook. He couldn't even run his own offenseNot only is that interference, it's interference right from the very beginning.

Not to mention how gameplans and even practices were implemented. I have no doubt Garrett's hands were all over it from the very beginning.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Callahan was also running Garrett's playbook. He couldn't even run his own offenseNot only is that interference, it's interference right from the very beginning.

Not to mention how gameplans and even practices were implemented. I have no doubt Garrett's hands were all over it from the very beginning.
It was pretty obvious Garrett didn't like or trust Callahan, he had to get someone he was comfortable with in order to let go of the offense. Makes you wonder how Callahan got hired at all...

(insert Jerry pointing gif)

I think if this organization ever gets everybody onto the same page it will be because the end times have come and they will be reading Revelations.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You do know you can actually put the gif in there?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Top Bottom