Archer: Will Cowboys go running back in the second round?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Will Cowboys go running back in the second round?

Todd Archer, ESPN Dallas Cowboys reporter

IRVING, Texas -- On Tuesday, Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said running back was not among his team’s musts.

On Thursday, executive vice president Stephen Jones said he felt comfortable with what the Cowboys have at running back after losing DeMarco Murray in free agency.

The unified front from the Joneses might be a diversionary tactic at this point, but the Cowboys could be in position to take a running back starting in the second round tonight with the No. 60 overall pick but might be pushing it if they choose to wait for the third round, where they pick No. 91.

Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon went in the first round on Thursday, which was not unexpected considering all of the talk leading up to the draft. Gurley went No. 10 to the St. Louis Rams. Gordon went No. 15 to the San Diego Chargers.

Both players visited the Cowboys before the draft, but Gurley had a higher rating and would have been the Cowboys’ no-brainer pick at No. 27. Even had Gordon been available at No. 27, there would have been some debate before the pick.

So now the Cowboys are left to look at runners such as Duke Johnson, Tevin Coleman, Ameer Abdullah, T.J. Yeldon and Jay Ajayi in the next two rounds. Coleman, Yeldon and Ajayi visited Valley Ranch. The Cowboys had a private workout with Johnson. Another down the road option could be Southern Cal’s Buck Allen, who also visited Valley Ranch.

“We feel very comfortable with our running back corps, but it doesn’t mean we won’t add to it,” Stephen Jones said. “Anytime you miss an All-Pro player like DeMarco you feel like you should beef it up a little bit more, but as far as I’m concerned, we could go to war with what we got and feel that way pretty much about everything.”

While there is no set depth chart at the moment, Joseph Randle would look to be the top back now, followed by free-agent addition Darren McFadden, Lance Dunbar and Ryan Williams. McFadden has one 1,000-yard season but has not averaged better than 3.4 yards per carry since 2011. Randle showed flashes as Murray’s backup last year but off-field issues have raised questions. Dunbar has been a change-of-pace back. Williams has a pedigree but has averaged just 2.8 yards per carry in his career.

Last year the Cowboys knew they needed to add a pass-rusher and gave up their third-rounder to get the 34th pick from the Washington Redskins to take DeMarcus Lawrence. Their options last year at defensive end were even more limited to what the Cowboys have at running back this year.

“I do think as we wait for that pick to come our way again we’ll be patient, and I think we’ll get to pick from two or three guys we want to pick,” Stephen Jones said. “And I’ll be surprised if that doesn’t happen whereas (in the first round) we were getting down to the nubbins.”

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'd rather a trade up for Ajayi than stand pat and draft Abdullah. I'd prefer a trade down and draft David Johnson over everything.
Fuck that. There is nobody worth a trade up, and we need more picks not less.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I'd rather a trade up for Ajayi than stand pat and draft Abdullah. I'd prefer a trade down and draft David Johnson over everything.
I don't think anyone is going to take Ajayi in the second round unless the knee concerns are totally overblown.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah couldn't disagree more about Ajayi. If you're focused in on only that type of back TJ Yeldon in my opinion isn't that much behind. I do however agree with David Johnson, I really like him. Big kid who has speed and cutting ability. Maybe not the quickest but you don't need to be in our scheme.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No trade up, period. The two worth more than one pick went in the first round. I like Ajayi a lot, but I am not giving up a pick.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
No trade up, period. The two worth more than one pick went in the first round. I like Ajayi a lot, but I am not giving up a pick.
It's like we share the same brain...

~creepy smile~

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I'll take Ajayi in the 4th. I'd be really happy with that. I just don't want any part of Buck Allen.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'll take Ajayi in the 4th. I'd be really happy with that. I just don't want any part of Buck Allen.
At this point, I am open to taking any back, but I definitely prefer Ajayi. I think you are a little harsh on Allen. He is okay.

I just don't want bust McFadden and shithead Randle splitting the carries. That will be a failure and Garrett will go right back to throwing 45 times a game.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I just don't want bust McFadden and shithead Randle splitting the carries.
I think people are leaning too hard on this scenario. Of the RBs on the roster right now, if we pick up no other back, I'd bet Williams is being looked at as our lead back, with McFadden and Randle as the backups.

It's certainly not my ideal situation, but it's not the end of the world, either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think people are leaning too hard on this scenario. Of the RBs on the roster right now, if we pick up no other back, I'd bet Williams is being looked at as our lead back, with McFadden and Randle as the backups.

It's certainly not my ideal situation, but it's not the end of the world, either.
Ryan Williams as a lead back is not even a thought to me. It is not like he spent an entire season inactive just saving up to be the starter. He's another body competing for a job again, just like last year.

I also don't want any "committee" approach because if you want to use an OL and a run game to consistently pile up yards and break the oppositions will, you are going to do it with as little variance as possible. The blockers need to know how the runner runs, the back needs to know how the linemen block. Murray basically inserted himself into the OL meetings and developed chemistry with them. There was a synergy that developed and you cannot get that with three different guys with three different styles.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
We might have to trade up if we want Ajayi.

I'd rather stand pat at 127 and let David Cobb fall to us. I think his unimpressive 40 time allows a good RB like Cobb to fall right into our laps.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Ryan Williams as a lead back is not even a thought to me. It is not like he spent an entire season inactive just saving up to be the starter. He's another body competing for a job again, just like last year.

I also don't want any "committee" approach because if you want to use an OL and a run game to consistently pile up yards and break the oppositions will, you are going to do it with as little variance as possible. The blockers need to know how the runner runs, the back needs to know how the linemen block. Murray basically inserted himself into the OL meetings and developed chemistry with them. There was a synergy that developed and you cannot get that with three different guys with three different styles.
Oh, I'm certainly not touting Williams as some sort of savior. Only that of the guys we have now, he'd be the best suited to be the lead back, and I think he'd win the job in an open competition.

p1_

DCC 4Life
So this begs the question, just what is the fucking plan? We know it can't
be McFadden as starter, and Ajayi couldn't possibly last to 127. So then what?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

I don't see Williams being the lead back at all. The guy was inactive practically all year.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
So this begs the question, just what is the fucking plan? We know it can't
be McFadden as starter, and Ajayi couldn't possibly last to 127. So then what?
Ajayi couldn't possibly make it to our pick at #91, either. But he did. There must me more to his knee thing than fans are aware of.

I was ready to trade up for him in the 3rd last night. But then again I, unlike Jerry, haven't seen the X-Rays. :art

p1_

DCC 4Life
So, according to the NFL grades, there's little difference between Ajayi and the next few RBs:

Ajayi, Jay RB 6'0" 221 Boise St. 5.6

Williams, Karlos RB 6'1" 230 Florida St. 5.4

Davis, Mike RB 5'9" 217 South Carolina 5.4

Langford, Jeremy RB 6'0" 208 Michigan St. 5.4

Allen, Javorius RB 6'0" 221 USC 5.4

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Do you fellas know about these others? Are they sufficient for us to consider in the 4th?

Top Bottom