Fox Sports: If Jason Garrett coaches like he did Sunday, the Cowboys will have a playoff disaster

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
By Chris Chase
Dec 19, 2016 at 1:20a ET

Tony Romo's chances of replacing a benched Dak Prescott took a major, if not permanent, hit on Sunday night with the rookie quarterback running for a touchdown and posting the second-highest completion percentage in NFL history in a come-from-ahead 26-20 win over the surging Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The victory doesn't clinch the NFC East or No. 1 seed for the Dallas Cowboys, but comes awfully close.

If there was one key player on the Cowboys who had an off-night, however, it was the guy holding the clipboard: Jason Garrett. The longtime resident of 8-8-ville made baffling decision on top of baffling decision Sunday night, doing everything in his power to keep Tampa in the game and threaten his team's regular-season comfort. If not for a solid pass rush and Jameis Winston's complete lack of pocket awareness, Dallas would have lost, fallen to one game ahead of the New York Giants and put themselves in massive danger of going from 11-1 with legit Super Bowl aspirations to 11-5 and needing three road wins to make it back there for the first time in 21 years. What did Garrett do that was so bad? It was a little bit of everything, actually.

The reverse

The Bucs couldn't stop the Cowboys. Ezekiel Elliott was doing his thing, running it right down the throats of the Bucs' front four and the short-pass attack by Prescott was more efficient than Dallas could have possibly hoped. Despite some special teams' errors, Dallas held a 17-6 lead at halftime and hadn't punted all game. When Tampa immediately cut to 17-13 on the opening possession of the second half, it seemed like a mere annoyance to a Cowboys team that began marching right back down the field for what felt like a certain score. With the ball near midfield and Dallas facing a third-and-2, everybody in the stadium knew what was coming: Elliott was getting the ball and going up the gut. And he did get the ball, except instead of running it, he attempted to toss it for a reverse to Lucky Whitehead. The exchange was botched and the Cowboys were forced to punt for the first time in the game. The momentum shift was complete all because Dallas chose the worst moment to get cute.

The end around

Scott Linehan calls plays for Dallas so take away credit where credit ain't due. Still, it's Jason Garrett's team and Jason Garrett's coaching staff, so you'd think that after that first punt, with Tampa now ahead 20-17, the Cowboys would get down to the ol' brass tacks and play smash-mouth football. After all, they only have the best offensive line in the league and a running back making a rare bid for MVP. But on first-and-10, with Dallas having easily driven 50 yards on six plays, the Cowboys ran an end around to (again) Lucky Whitehead, who lost 7 yards. All momentum was effectively lost and Dallas was forced a kick a field goal to tie the game at the start of the fourth quarter. You know, all things considered, it's sort of surprising Dallas didn't go back to the well later in the game because you know what they say - nobody gets the best of Lucky Whitehead three times on gadget plays.

The field goal

Dallas was up three points with 2:58 left, facing a fourth-and-1 from Tampa's 15. Had Garrett wanted to take part in a year that might one day be remembered as the start of a coaching revolution, he'd have gone for it. All season, coaches have been throwing out the rule book and going for fourth downs when they'd normally punt, going for two to win the game and trying to put away teams whenever and however possible. A first down here and the Bucs were done. Kicking the field goal and going up six is of minimal value: a touchdown and extra point still put you behind. Going for it means: best case, you win; worst case, you're up three with Tampa having bad field position and still needing a touchdown to go ahead. Garrett kicked and the stats confirmed his conservative decision left the Cowboys worse off. According to numberfire, which measures win probabilities for games, the Cowboys had an 85.5% chance of winning the game before the field goal. After they kicked it, the number fell to 78.4%.

The end game

Tampa got the ball back down six but couldn't do anything with it, going three-and-out in 50 seconds. That gave Dallas back the ball in a similar situation as its last possession: Run down the clock and it's game over. The Cowboys got their chance to do just that, again. After Tampa called two timeouts following running plays on first and second down, Dallas had a third-and-3 from just inside Bucs territory. To their credit, there was no gadget play this time, just another third-down shunning of an Elliott rush and a Prescott roll out on what was supposed to be a short toss to Elliott, who'd come out of the backfield. The Bucs had it covered and the play smartly ended with the rookie sliding for a 3-yard loss to keep the clock running. Dallas punted and Tampa had 1:36 left to march down the field for a touchdown. (They failed, obviously.) It wasn't the Prescott roll out that was so stupid (although it was quite stupid), it was the fact that it came from a shotgun formation that basically ensured Elliott wasn't going to take a handoff. Tampa couldn't have known what was coming any more than if they'd had a Wake Forest announcer tipping them off.

The takeaway

Sometimes in the NFL you win in spite of yourself. A team would far prefer such a scenario be related to poor execution, something that's often fluky and can be fixed, rather than bad coaching, something that's often symptomatic of a larger issue. Jason Garrett got away with one Sunday night thanks to an inconsistent Winston and an offense that couldn't help but overcome its head coach's deficiencies. Playoff opponents won't be so accommodating.

2233boys

Not So New Member
I said the same thing all night. Coaching and poor play calling almost cost the Cowboys that game.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Jason Garrett and coaching should never be said in the same sentence.

1bigfan13

Staff member
On the reverse I didn't love the play call but if the Zeke-to-Whitehead exchange is clean Whitehead had plenty of room to run. Tampa's D had completely bit on the run action to the left. However I understand that there was no need to get cute on such a critical down.

I completely agree with the writer regarding Garrett's decision to settle for the FG late in the game. You're begging for a late game let down.

Overall last night was definitely Jason Garrett circa 2012. Back when we got gutless, timid coaching decisions on almost a weekly basis.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Feels like nitpicking. Didn't hate the reverse, if it was executed properly it's an easy first down and a decent gain.

Also can't blame Garrett for the relatively conservative decision to take the FG considering that Tampa's offense didn't do shit aside from the two TD drives, one of which was mostly a fluke to begin with.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
On the reverse I didn't love the play call but if the Zeke-to-Whitehead exchange is clean Whitehead had plenty of room to run. Tampa's D had completely bit on the run action to the left. However I understand that there was no need to get cute on such a critical down.

I completely agree with the writer regarding Garrett's decision to settle for the FG late in the game. You're begging for a late game let down.

Overall last night was definitely Jason Garrett circa 2012. Back when we got gutless, timid coaching decisions on almost a weekly basis.
If we're playing Atlanta or Green Bay in the playoffs and the score is 30-27 we probably go for that fourth down, Tampa's offense was toothless for the most part last night.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feels like nitpicking. Didn't hate the reverse, if it was executed properly it's an easy first down and a decent gain.

Also can't blame Garrett for the relatively conservative decision to take the FG considering that Tampa's offense didn't do shit aside from the two TD drives, one of which was mostly a fluke to begin with.
I hate it because everything else was working so flawlessly. If you are dominating running your normal plays, why try to pull tricks out? Your asking players to do things that they don't usually do.

1bigfan13

Staff member

But all it takes is one big play. We saw that last week. The Cowboys pretty much handled the Giants all night but the one big play to Odell Beckham Jr was the deciding factor.

Evans almost got us last night as well.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, I would say there is a lot of truth here. I don't like when coaches try to get cute when it isn't necessary. It's one thing to have to use Jap plays as a last resort, but when they clearly cannot stop the run game, why get away from it. Especially in a close game.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
First of all, premise is flawed; most of this nitpicking should be properly aimed at Linehan not Garrett.

Second, I'm pretty surprised people are criticising the coaching. I thought overall the coaching was fine. If not for a few backbreaking penalties this game is a blowout.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
First of all, premise is flawed; most of this nitpicking should be properly aimed at Linehan not Garrett.

Second, I'm pretty surprised people are criticising the coaching. I thought overall the coaching was fine. If not for a few backbreaking penalties this game is a blowout.
It definitely is nitpicking. I just get really annoyed when coaches get cute when it absolutely isn't needed.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

I don't think it's nitpicking at all.

It was a very poorly called game by the staff.

Not calling back-to-back running plays for the vast majority of the game.

The unnecessary cute plays and the insistence on getting the ball to both Dunbar and Whitehead at key points in the game which all resulted in failure. The reverse should have never been called on a 3rd and 2 the way the offense was playing last night.

Same goes for that retarded jet sweep that lost 7 yards on 1st down when we were driving the field with ease to ice the game. Why call that when we're moving the ball so well?

And the 4th down? What I don't understand is how Garrett has been so aggressive this year and at times that I would've preferred we kick the FG or punt. Just last week vs the Giants in a 0-0 game, we went for 4th and 1 on our own side of the field, but yet we won't go for 4th and 1 at the Bucs 20 with a chance to kill the game off?

I just don't understand how that makes any sense.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Garrett is an easy target...I hate the reverse, but the rest is bullshit. 4th and 1...kick the field goal, go up 6...not the worst decision ever. He felt good about his D and let them win it.

Funny that an inaccurate Winston is being given more press than what the Cowboys defense was doing to him. He was pressured and uncomfortable most of the night due to excellent pressure from the DL.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
I completely disagree. There is a big difference between a 3 and 6 point lead. The 6 point lead forces them to go for a TD which means they are going to have to drive the ball another 30 yards or so and punch it in. A lot more pressure on the opposing team.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I completely disagree. There is a big difference between a 3 and 6 point lead. The 6 point lead forces them to go for a TD which means they are going to have to drive the ball another 30 yards or so and punch it in. A lot more pressure on the opposing team.
I agree.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah and frankly it's hard to get TDs. Driving the ball between the 20's isn't that difficult but when you get inside that 20 yard area the field starts to get really cramped and things are just way more difficult. Still I think I would have gone for it but I understand the logic. I just think a fourth and even a long one should be automatic with this offensive line and RB.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Yeah and frankly it's hard to get TDs. Driving the ball between the 20's isn't that difficult but when you get inside that 20 yard area the field starts to get really cramped and things are just way more difficult. Still I think I would have gone for it but I understand the logic. I just think a fourth and even a long one should be automatic with this offensive line and RB.
We have 3 runners- if you include Prescott- that could have and should have gotten that 1-2 yards on 4th down last night.

I understand the field goal, but you effectively end the game with the conversion because TB would be out of timeouts.

The article is spot on though...do that shit against Rodgers or Manning in the playoffs, and you are out. Just look at Chicago yesterday.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Frankly the part that chaps my ass most about the offensive calling is 3 plays designed for Lucky Whitehead. I actually think we had some really good play calling otherwise that helped lead Dak and Zeke to their impressive numbers. I mean everything we did to get Lucky the ball ended in total failure but basically everything else worked. I guess I could complain that we weren't a little more aggressive in the 2nd and 20 yard type situations. Play designs to get 4 or 5 yards in that situation just aren't cutting it.

Top Bottom