Williams: Lawrence itching to play Sunday, but the Cowboys haven’t made a decision

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DeMarcus Lawrence itching to play Sunday, but the Cowboys haven’t made a decision

BY CHAREAN WILLIAMS
cjwilliams@star-telegram.com

IRVING — Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence hopes to get his first game action this week, and he can’t wait.

“I’m a little anxious,” Lawrence said Wednesday. “I ain’t going to lie. I’m just ready to get out there and do what they really brought me here to do.”

The Cowboys will have to make a roster move by Saturday afternoon to make Lawrence available for this week’s game. A source said a decision has not been made on whether to activate Lawrence this week, with the Cowboys wanting to see how he practices.

The second-round draft pick broke a bone in his right foot July 29, his first week of training camp practice. The Cowboys eventually placed him on returnable injured reserve.

He began practicing Oct. 15 and is eligible to make his debut Sunday against the Cardinals.

“We’ll see …as the week goes on and see how game-ready he is,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. “We have some options there on the defensive line. We think that’s really good for everybody, the competition that it’s created to get an opportunity to dress for a ball game, and then what your role is, so he’ll be part of that mix.”

Lawrence spent Wednesday working with defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli and assistant defensive line coach Leon Lett.

“That was the main focus over there, just making sure I know the plays, formations, what I’m doing in certain types of situations,” Lawrence said.

He said he has added 10 pounds of muscle and is back in game shape after two-plus weeks of practice.

“I feel like I did a lot over the time I’ve been out, and it’s helped me out a lot with my strength and power and really just my lower body getting that back in shape,” Lawrence said. “As of right now, I feel like I’m back in game speed.”

The Cowboys can use him. They had three sacks against the Redskins, but they have only 10 for the season. Only eight teams have fewer.

I figured if he's healthy this would be a no-brainer, and I've seen nobody reporting that he isn't 100%. Not sure why the decision is that difficult.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I hope this kid is as good as they thought he would be after trading up for him because we need someone that can get to the QB badly. The no name potpourri DL has been a little better than I expected but they're far from great.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Put the kid in the game for a while and see what he can do. That's how you really find out about a player. The defense can't do a lot worse than they did last week. Find out if he really is a good high draft choice Don't expect miracles but you will see if he has a motor.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If he's not more prepared than player 53 you hurt your team by forcing him in, especially if he's still at all hurt or out of shape.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The last few posts crack me up. Remember when we used t be really pissed when players got time in the game just because? Now we have folks complaining that we need to skip over competition and throw him out there. Weird.

Carp

DCC 4Life
If he's not more prepared than player 53 you hurt your team by forcing him in, especially if he's still at all hurt or out of shape.
Who are these great pass rushers that we are keeping off the field? Lavar Edwards? At this point you try to catch lightning in a bottle with the pass rush.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Put him in for a couple of series to see how he does. No need to change the line up for that. He needs to be tested.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DeMarcus Lawrence has simple plan in return
October, 30, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- DeMarcus Lawrence's plan is pretty simple when he returns: See the quarterback, get the quarterback.

"Yeah, that's all it is," the Dallas Cowboys' second-round pick said.

Lawrence is expected to make his debut Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals after missing the first eight games while on short-term injured reserve as he recovered from a broken foot suffered in training camp.

The Cowboys need Lawrence, too. While they were able to come up with three sacks in Monday's loss to the Washington Redskins, they have only 10 sacks for the season. They have not been able to come up with a consistent pass rush and have not affected the opposing quarterback enough.

The Cowboys moved up to take Lawrence in the second round in hopes he could get to the quarterback. He had 20 sacks in his two seasons at Boise State and the Cowboys had him rated as the third-best right defensive end in the draft behind Jadeveon Clowney and Anthony Barr.

"I ain't going to say they need me because they've been doing it and winning games off of me not being there," Lawrence said. "I just say I'll be a help to them when I get back."

Lawrence has been practicing for the last two weeks, which he believes has helped him get in better football shape as well as ease his transition to the game.

"He was doing well," coach Jason Garrett said of Lawrence's work in training camp. "He's one of those guys who seemed to be picking things up the right way and maybe as much as anything else the physicalness and the tempo with which you have to play. Obviously from a technical standpoint he has to improve. He just doesn't have that much experience, but he's certainly off to a good start and it will be good to get him back."

Lawrence said he does not feel pressure to become an impact player.

"I feel like I put pressure on myself," Lawrence said, "so it's me going out there maintaining my goals and my focus and really doing what I think and I know I can do."

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
The last few posts crack me up. Remember when we used t be really pissed when players got time in the game just because? Now we have folks complaining that we need to skip over competition and throw him out there. Weird.
Tap the breaks there, no one is saying he should be named the starter.

townsend

Banned
DeMarcus Lawrence has simple plan in return
October, 30, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- DeMarcus Lawrence's plan is pretty simple when he returns: See the quarterback, get the quarterback.

"Yeah, that's all it is," the Dallas Cowboys' second-round pick
Cue Larry Fitzgerald killing us on screen plays.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Cue Larry Fitzgerald killing us on screen plays.
That's the one pass we've defended very well this year. If they want to kill us with Fitzgerald, they might want to consider sending him out past ten yards.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
After last week we better learn how to run screens.

townsend

Banned
That's the one pass we've defended very well this year. If they want to kill us with Fitzgerald, they might want to consider sending him out past ten yards.
Didn't Andre Johnson beat us bad on a screen a few weeks back?

Carp

DCC 4Life
One play...outside of that we have been great on the WR screens. Harvin in particular...Jackson as well.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Seriously? One play?

Oh, and Johnson had 58 yards that game, with a long of 20. Not sure if that 20 yarder was the one where he supposedly "beat us bad."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Lawrence returning does nothing but help. That's all I am going to look at it for now.

Is he better than Lavar Edwards?

If so, great, move along.

I will save the expectations for when he has a whole camp and offseason.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We need an energy guy like him to punch Palmer in the mouth. Any of the DL really, but I think the team would bow up if young blood got after it. We have to be chippy with them like we were with Seattle or this team will bully us all damn day.

Top Bottom