Watkins: The Cowboys' complex QB issue

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The Cowboys' complex QB issue

February, 10, 2014

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

In the last three months, the Cowboys worked out quarterbacks Mike Kafka, David Carr,Tyler Thigpen, John Skelton, Richard Bartel and Caleb Hanie. The Cowboys signed a man they didn't workout in 41-year old Jon Kitna last year because of his familiarly with the offense.

Starting quarterback Tony Romo is recovering from back surgery and while the team expects him to participate in the offseason programs that start April 21, there are no guarantees he will.

As it stands now, the Cowboys haveKyle Orton and Romo on the roster. The Cowboys most likely will have three or maybe four quarterbacks on the roster when it expands to get ready for training camp this summer.

But why has it taken so long to get a quarterback signed?

Orton enters the final year of his contract after proving his worth to the team when he played well for the injured Romo in the regular-season finale, a loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.

If Romo's health doesn't improve fast enough, it becomes important that the team has a third quarterback. With so many holes on this team, as well as depth issues, it's understandable if the Cowboys are slow in finding a quarterback.

Unless the team signs a Vince Young or a Tim Tebow (which isn't happening), getting a quality No. 2 or No. 3 quarterback should be at the forefront of what's happening at Valley Ranch.

Now maybe the Cowboys don't like what they're seeing in these workouts. Kafka worked out last week and wasn't signed, instead he's going with Tampa Bay.

The Cowboys have two former quarterbacks on the coaching staff in head coach Jason Garrett and quarterbacks coach Wade Wilson, who understand what it takes to play well at the position. The Cowboys' offense isn't designed for a mobile quarterback, Romo's ability to avoid the pass rush is an added benefit.

Orton isn't a mobile quarterback but does quite well in the timing-based offense.

What the Cowboys are looking at are drop back passers who have the ability to move around in the pocket if things break down. Not signing one now, doesn't mean it's the end of the world, but after working out six quarterbacks in a three-month span, it makes you wonder what the Cowboys are looking for.

You could say, the draft is where the Cowboys will find the No. 3 quarterback. But you can't depend that Jerry Jones, the general manager, will make that pick given the other issues with the roster. If the Cowboys do draft a quarterback in the middle rounds, and team officials have shot down any first-round pick being used on a quarterback, he could be the future replacement for Romo.

As the offseason progresses, the Cowboys decisions regarding the quarterback position continue to drag on.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Romo's back surgery isn't that complex or as mysterious as these writers are presenting. I went through a very similar procedure myself a little over a year ago and it is very stable. The type injury he incurred can happen to anyone at anytime. He in fact could have another injury but the surgery from the previous one will stabilize. I fully expect him to be able to perform at 100 %. Maybe he gets injured again but that can happen to any player.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What's complex about it?

We have an old QB coming off of two back surgeries and do not have anyone waiting in the wings.

The only thing complex is the stupidity of our front office in that they will ignore the warning signs and proceed like there is nothing to worry about.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Romo's base salary is guaranteed through 2015. So welcome back to 1999 and 2000 with Troy. Might as well keep Dave Campo... I mean Jason Garrett around until then and try to shed dead weight off the cap.

We can designate Romo a June 1 cut during the 2016 offseason.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What's complex about it?

We have an old QB coming off of two back surgeries and do not have anyone waiting in the wings.

The only thing complex is the stupidity of our front office in that they will ignore the warning signs and proceed like there is nothing to worry about.
My point is that Dallas is essentially as they would have been had Romo not gotten injured and had surgery. The surgery really isn't the issue. If Dallas needs to make QB adjustments before the injury, so be it but the surgery itself isn't suddenly an alarming issue IMO.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
My point is that Dallas is essentially as they would have been had Romo not gotten injured and had surgery. The surgery really isn't the issue. If Dallas needs to make QB adjustments before the injury, so be it but the surgery itself isn't suddenly an alarming issue IMO.
I don't think anecdotal evidence about a surgery working out for someone who doesn't play football is that heartening. This back issue is likely to keep causing problems as long as he plays football and takes hits.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I don't think anecdotal evidence about a surgery working out for someone who doesn't play football is that heartening. This back issue is likely to keep causing problems as long as he plays football and takes hits.
Whether you play football or not some surgical procedures are more effective than others. The procedure Romo had was a repair of a non structural element in his spine. These injuries happen to a lot of people from simply standing up sometimes. They are either fully repaired or not and this is known within a few days of the procedure.

Top Bottom