The Beer Thread

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I've had it in the past and didn't really care for it, but Celebration Ale by Sierra Nevada is the bomb this year. Very, very good.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Widmer Brothers' Hopside Down is pretty decent...not as pine cone-ish if you don't care for that in an IPA.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I like the Big Eye IPA by Ballast Point even better than Sculpin, give it a shot.
Finally had one of these this past weekend. Pretty good, but I prefer the Sculpin.

I had the Lagunitas Sucks–Brown Shugga Substitute Ale too. Wow. Really, really liked that one. Very much a West Coast IPA (fruity/hoppy/some bitterness) but sweeter than the average. Had one bottle at a bar but am definitely going to pick up a 6 pack to bring home.

I've had a couple of really good beers from Founders fairly recently–the Breakfast Stout (Imperial Stout) and the Backwoods Bastard (barrel-aged Scotch ale). Both are excellent but not as good as the difficult-to-obtain Founders KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout).

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I had a Miller Lite this weekend. It was fantastic.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm kinda tired, but I kinda wanna go out.

junk

Not So New Member
I've had it in the past and didn't really care for it, but Celebration Ale by Sierra Nevada is the bomb this year. Very, very good.
Yeah, that was good. Sierra Nevada is solid.

Anyone ever had Bell's HopSlam?

It's good, but it is like $20 per 6 pack and it is one of those limited release things. I had to go to some event and get a ticket and all sorts of shit to buy a six pack. Then 2 days later I stopped at a local drugstore and just found six packs sitting out.

The whole "Here's a special beer, that is pretty good, that we don't make a lot of and charge the shit out of" is a decent market strategy. I'm just not sure HopSlam is better than Two Hearted that you can buy any time of the year for less than half the price.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Saint Arnold's Spring Bock .

Heavy on the spice taste, but good nonetheless.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Anyone ever had Bell's HopSlam?

It's good, but it is like $20 per 6 pack and it is one of those limited release things. I had to go to some event and get a ticket and all sorts of shit to buy a six pack. Then 2 days later I stopped at a local drugstore and just found six packs sitting out.

The whole "Here's a special beer, that is pretty good, that we don't make a lot of and charge the shit out of" is a decent market strategy. I'm just not sure HopSlam is better than Two Hearted that you can buy any time of the year for less than half the price.
I had the Two Hearted when I was in Chicago a couple years ago and it was good but I've never had a Hopslam. I know it's supposed to be all that and maybe it is but I'm not likely to spend time standing in a long line to obtain a ticket that gives me the privilege of buying a $20 six pack. That's how it goes with these limited release beers though. When Goose Island's limited Bourbon County Stout came out this fall people here began lining up at Whole Foods at about 5:00 AM (for a 9:00 AM release). Apparently it was gone before 10:00 AM and lots of people in line didn't get any. I got a bottle at two separate places later that day without getting up early or standing in line.

junk

Not So New Member
I had the Two Hearted when I was in Chicago a couple years ago and it was good but I've never had a Hopslam. I know it's supposed to be all that and maybe it is but I'm not likely to spend time standing in a long line to obtain a ticket that gives me the privilege of buying a $20 six pack. That's how it goes with these limited release beers though. When Goose Island's limited Bourbon County Stout came out this fall people here began lining up at Whole Foods at about 5:00 AM (for a 9:00 AM release). Apparently it was gone before 10:00 AM and lots of people in line didn't get any. I got a bottle at two separate places later that day without getting up early or standing in line.
I didn't really stand in line. I walked in and there were probably 30 people in there. They gave me a ticket and said sales started at 4:30. I just stood by a cash register with beer by it assuming someone would be selling it there. Everyone else lined up to the main cash register. I was maybe there 15 minutes. I don't have patience for much more than that.

Just thought it was odd that I randomly bought it at my local drug store a couple of days later.

Got a Sierra Nevada 4-way IPA 12 pack tonight. Torpedo is one, which I've had. The others were new: Nooner Session IPA, Blindfold Black IPA and Snow Wit IPA

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I didn't really stand in line. I walked in and there were probably 30 people in there. They gave me a ticket and said sales started at 4:30. I just stood by a cash register with beer by it assuming someone would be selling it there. Everyone else lined up to the main cash register. I was maybe there 15 minutes. I don't have patience for much more than that.

Just thought it was odd that I randomly bought it at my local drug store a couple of days later.

Got a Sierra Nevada 4-way IPA 12 pack tonight. Torpedo is one, which I've had. The others were new: Nooner Session IPA, Blindfold Black IPA and Snow Wit IPA
Nice. Where do you live, Junk? The market in Austin, TX where I live is apeshit over any publicized limited batch beer releases. It's annoying as hell because if you don't act IMMEDIATELY you're screwed. There is a local brewery here called Hops & Grain that is doing an IPA series called Greenhouse where they change up the hop combo with each batch and release a new one each month. The second batch hit the shelves this Wednesday (in cans...you can find it on tap if you're at the right place at the right time) and was gone by Thursday afternoon. Ridiculous. I did manage to get a sixer on Thursday at a place where I'm a regular and they held one for me, but it's become like an insane competition around here to get it. I like to get good beer/new releases but it has become such a novelty that it's barely worth trying.

~waiting for KBrown to come and drop some sort of snide Austin "hipster" remark~

Last edited:

junk

Not So New Member
Nice. Where do you live, Junk? The market in Austin, TX where I live is apeshit over any publicized limited batch beer releases. It's annoying as hell because if you don't act IMMEDIATELY you're screwed. There is a local brewery here called Hops & Grain that is doing an IPA series called Greenhouse where they change up the hop combo with each batch and release a new one each month. The second batch hit the shelves this Wednesday (in cans...you can find it on tap if you're at the right place at the right time) and was gone by Thursday afternoon. Ridiculous. I did manage to get a sixer on Thursday at a place where I'm a regular and they held one for me, but it's become like an insane competition around here to get it. I like to get good beer/new releases but it has become such a novelty that it's barely worth trying.

~waiting for KBrown to come and drop some sort of snide Austin "hipster" remark~
Iowa. Our beer selection is usually pretty lame. We get some OK stuff from Wisconsin and Michigan. Some of the Colorado stuff is starting to make its way out here.

I usually load up when I go to Wisconsin. The New Glarus stuff is solid and Tyranea Bitter Woman IPA is good as well.

There is enough really good beer out there that I'm probably not going to wait in line or go out of my way to get something special in most cases. I'd heard a lot about HopSlam so I wanted to try it. Very good, but not worth the wait or price when I can buy something like Two Hearted, Stone or Green Flash off the shelf for half the price.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
:lol

I rag on it, but I actually really like Austin. Most of my friends live there. And do home brew, incidentally.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Iowa. Our beer selection is usually pretty lame. We get some OK stuff from Wisconsin and Michigan. Some of the Colorado stuff is starting to make its way out here.

I usually load up when I go to Wisconsin. The New Glarus stuff is solid and Tyranea Bitter Woman IPA is good as well.

There is enough really good beer out there that I'm probably not going to wait in line or go out of my way to get something special in most cases. I'd heard a lot about HopSlam so I wanted to try it. Very good, but not worth the wait or price when I can buy something like Two Hearted, Stone or Green Flash off the shelf for half the price.
Does Three Floyds distribute there? You can get it in Chicago/nearby Indiana and I'd highly recommend it if you're in that area. Zombie Dust is maybe the best beer I've ever had. I was introduced to Founders on a trip to Chicago a couple years ago too. They have a lot of good beers.

junk

Not So New Member
Does Three Floyds distribute there? You can get it in Chicago/nearby Indiana and I'd highly recommend it if you're in that area. Zombie Dust is maybe the best beer I've ever had. I was introduced to Founders on a trip to Chicago a couple years ago too. They have a lot of good beers.
I haven't seen Three Floyds around here. My brother lives in Indiana, so I'll look for some next time I am there.

I've had Founders. They are OK, but I'd choose others over them in most cases.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I haven't seen Three Floyds around here. My brother lives in Indiana, so I'll look for some next time I am there.

I've had Founders. They are OK, but I'd choose others over them in most cases.
If you like stouts Founders is one of the better breweries, IMO. Their Breakfast Stout is really good and their KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) is outstanding, but isn't always available.

junk

Not So New Member
If you like stouts Founders is one of the better breweries, IMO. Their Breakfast Stout is really good and their KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout) is outstanding, but isn't always available.
I'm not a huge stout fan. I've had the Breakfast Stout, which was good for a stout, but I prefer pales ales and IPAs most of the time.

junk

Not So New Member
What are your top ten? Mine always changes as I find new things and it is usually a mixed bag of really good beers and just things that are convenient and enjoyable to drink that I find myself buying on a regular basis.

Mine in no particular order

New Glarus Spotted Cow
Stone IPA
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Green Flash West Coast IPA
O'Dells 90 Schilling
Tyranea Bitter Woman IPA
Bell's Two Hearted
Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale
Finnegans (Summit)
Stone Enjoy By

Top Bottom