Cowboys sign Morris

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
2 year deal, all over Twitter, I'm at work so I can't post the links and such.

Overall, not an exciting signing but it's solid, we can still draft a RB if the draft falls right or we can pass until the epic 2017 class. Morris definitely is better than McFadden, has more tread on his tires and actually gives us a little bit of physicality in short yardage.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think this could be very solid signing. He fits in a ZBS, so it just makes sense. Let's just hope he is in shape, or can get in shape by TC.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think this could be very solid signing. He fits in a ZBS, so it just makes sense. Let's just hope he is in shape, or can get in shape by TC.
I don't see why he wouldn't be in shape, he seems to be a model personality type from everything I've heard or read about him. He's obviously not an amazing talent but he's a solid 4.2-4.4 YPC, grinding type of back, at least behind an average NFL OL. Behind our OL he could get higher than that.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
How do you like this Mr. DFDC?????

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't see why he wouldn't be in shape, he seems to be a model personality type from everything I've heard or read about him. He's obviously not an amazing talent but he's a solid 4.2-4.4 YPC, grinding type of back, at least behind an average NFL OL. Behind our OL he could get higher than that.
Because he looked a little fat and a little slower last year. Hopefully, I was imagining that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Because he looked a little fat and a little slower last year. Hopefully, I was imagining that.
Nope. He is a declining back. The money better be dirt cheap since we signed him for two years.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Maybe, although I told my friends who are Skins fans as soon as they hired Gruden that he probably doesn't fit what Gruden wants, and I don't think he ever did. He's seemingly been on his way out of the lineup since Gruden was hired.

He had two huge season with Shannahan (the 1st was a bit of a fluke due to the read option stuff) and he still managed 1,000+ yards and 4.1 YPC his first year under Gruden. He had a terrible year last season but Matt "favored son" Jones had an even worse YPC than he did, their run game was just pretty poor all around.

He's nothing special but he has gone over 1,000 3 out of his 4 seasons and still has some tread on his tires. Assuming we signed him real cheap it's a solid deal.

Then give me Dalvin Cook or McCaffrey in 2017.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Nope. He is a declining back. The money better be dirt cheap since we signed him for two years.
He was being phased out of the Redskins offense as soon as Gruden was hired, prior to that he averaged 4.8 and 4.6 YPC. McFadden was on his way out of the league then finished top 5 in rushing in 12 games with a 4.6 YPC average, Morris is and has been better than him, we will get productivity out of him.

The only nagging feeling I have is that we aren't fully maximizing our OL's potential with these average talents at RB although I think 2017 will be the draft where we get that elite talent.

D

Deuce

We can get by with a Morris/DMC/Dunbar combo and then go all in on a true franchise back next year.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Your lack of Fournette love is disturbing.
Do you expect us to have a top 10 pick?

That's why I ignore him, obviously if he's an option we take him immediately.

Chubb is another guy I'm looking hard at, if he comes back strong from the injury he's right there with Fournette honestly.

D

Deuce

Chubb is another guy I'm looking hard at, if he comes back strong from the injury he's right there with Fournette honestly.
I don't expect to earn a top 10 pick, but I expect Jerruh to go crazy for him...and I would too.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I would expect Morris to be an instant upgrade over McFadden but you never know with this coaching staff, they obviously make strange personnel decisions on starters, like Christine Michael never getting even a chance.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

When Romo breaks his collarbone again and Kellen Moore is at QB we could be picking top 10 again.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't expect to earn a top 10 pick, but I expect Jerruh to go crazy for him...and I would too.
Then that's fine although I would never give up what it'd presumably take to move up 15 or so spots assuming it would look like we'd have a chance at a guy like Cook, McCaffrey, Chubb and so forth.

Top Bottom