NFLPA believes Cowboys, Broncos had contact about wideouts' deals

Jiggyfly

Banned
So now New England's offensive system is "genius"? How about just f'ing professional? Give Romo time and threaten the run and you'll see fine production from three of those guys. No one put posters of Laurent Robinson on their walls, but he did a damned fine job when he was in Dallas. Of course he can't replace Dez, but give me players like that and I'll bolster the DL and safety spots with the money saved.

Romo's proven he can produce when you bring in an actual professional and not our home-grown specials who don't know how to line up or run patterns. So while Dez is exciting and elite, I'd rather have three regular catches from WR's who know the rules and understand what they are doing plus a competent defense in place of one spectacular almost-catch followed by an emotional rant.
Yes it's genious and they have a HOF QB if it was so easy everybody would do it.

And you keep bringing up Robinson yet when he was here we had a middle of the pack scoring offense.

You are trying way to hard to make this seem simple and acting like Dez can be easily replaced is retarded.

Jiggyfly

Banned
As long as both of your good #2s can get deep (Williams can), I can't see the other team going without safety help over the top all day and just daring us to make big plays. So, hypothetically, if we had 2 of Williams, IMO we would get by in the passing game.

I think the Packers are pretty elite on offense without an elite superstar receiving target, albeit with maybe the best QB in football, but they don't have the OL we have and have no commitment to running the football.
They have an elite offensive coach and play caller, which is the biggest difference.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Our home grown WRs don't suck lately, Williams is a good #2 and Beasley is a solid #3 in the slot. One more at least as good as Williams and we could get by with that receiving corps.
We got Williams in the 3rd, but based on their draft boards I think they'd have drafted him in the 2nd. Packers keep getting guys like Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Davante Adams in the 2nd. I get the feeling Williams is dense and having a hard time earning Romo's trust.

Despite his talent I don't feel he "gets it", which I lay partly at the feet of the coaches.

Similarly Beasely runs a few patterns well but is a very limited player. When a player like Dwayne Harris looks to turn the corner in Dallas he never does. And we can never develop players like Street so I wonder why we don't just tell them we're only drafting them to play special teams.

I'd love to have at least one veteran trained elsewhere come in and flat out school these guys on how to be a pro. Maybe Dez might learn to keep his fricking pinkie in-bounds or how to catch a ball going to the ground.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You all can stop talking about what we do if Bryant misses games. :towel

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
We got Williams in the 3rd, but based on their draft boards I think they'd have drafted him in the 2nd. Packers keep getting guys like Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, and Davante Adams in the 2nd. I get the feeling Williams is dense and having a hard time earning Romo's trust.

Despite his talent I don't feel he "gets it", which I lay partly at the feet of the coaches.

Similarly Beasely runs a few patterns well but is a very limited player. When a player like Dwayne Harris looks to turn the corner in Dallas he never does. And we can never develop players like Street so I wonder why we don't just tell them we're only drafting them to play special teams.

I'd love to have at least one veteran trained elsewhere come in and flat out school these guys on how to be a pro. Maybe Dez might learn to keep his fricking pinkie in-bounds or how to catch a ball going to the ground.
You're underselling Williams who made two huge plays in the playoffs last year, including one against Detroit that may have saved our asses at the end of the 1st half, and overselling what Cobb and Nelson did to this point in Williams' career.

Cobb didn't put up 1,000 yards or double digit TD's until his 4th year in the league, his first 2 years in the league he had about 1,300 yards and 9 TD's combined, while Nelson didn't even crack 600 yards over his first 3 seasons, with only 6 combined TD's during those 3 years. Over Williams' first two years he has about 1,300 yards and 13 TD's combined, right on track with what those two did, if not better.

Of course Nelson has since blown up into a very consistent WR and Cobb had a great season last year, but over the first 2-3 years of their careers neither of them did anything more than Williams has done over his first 2.

This doesn't even take into account the fact that Williams will never be in a position to put up monster stats because he plays with a top 5 WR and a HOF TE who has a legendary rapport with Romo.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You're underselling Williams who made two huge plays in the playoffs last year, including one against Detroit that may have saved our asses at the end of the 1st half, and overselling what Cobb and Nelson did to this point in Williams' career.
Good points.

After being behind Jennings and Driver, Nelson has been a machine for four years. Cobb flashed his speed and explosiveness right away and blew up as a WR his second year.

We can only hope Williams follows suit.

In 2014 he had that great catch in Seattle and then disappeared from an offense that really needed him. He finally showed up again in the Indy game which was a free-for-all, but I think the Seahawks showed the rest of the league how to shut him down and it worked.

Williams' first two seasons are almost identical with no trend down or up-- no better or worse than good. His 16.8 Y/C average on its own is excellent, but he disappears too often. He converts 56% of targeted passes compared with about 71% and 76% from Nelson and Cobb in their second seasons.

...But he is right there with them in yards per target, so there's hope.

Hope that a full offseason with Romo shores up his short and intermediate routes and gets more of those targets converted. I believe in Williams' case a higher conversion rate will lead to even more targets, and not the other way around.

The Lions game was gigantic for both him (and Demarcus Lawrence), but again he converted just half his targets in that game. We need both improvement and greater consistency.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Williams is good. There are only so many balls to go around and Beasley is really good in the slot against the shit trying to cover that quick bastard.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Williams is good. There are only so many balls to go around and Beasley is really good in the slot against the shit trying to cover that quick bastard.
There's certainly room for improvement for Williams, so he needs to take those next steps or we need to keep shopping. Beasley is fine for a #3 or #4 and at his price I'm not complaining.

Top Bottom