Archer: Cowboys to pay attention to Terrell Suggs' deal

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys to pay attention to Terrell Suggs' deal

February, 17, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – The NFL offices are closed today for the holiday, but you can bet the Dallas Cowboys will have a keen eye on what is going on today with the Baltimore Ravens.

The Ravens and outside linebacker Terrell Suggs have agreed on a contract extension that will significantly lower the outside linebacker’s $12.8 million salary-cap figure. He was set to make a $7.8 million base salary in the final year of his deal.

Why would the Cowboys care?

DeMarcus Ware.

True, Suggs is an outside linebacker and Ware is a defensive end, but they by and large play the same position.

Ware is set to make a $12.25 million base salary and count $16.003 million against the cap. He is technically signed through 2017, but the final two years of the contract will void so he will be a free agent after the 2015 season.

Suggs turns 32 in October. He missed eight games in 2012 because of an Achilles injury. He had one sack in the last eight games of the 2013 season but still had 10 on the year.

Ware turns 32 in July. He has missed significant amounts of practice the last two seasons because of myriad injuries and missed the first three games of his career in 2013 with a quadriceps strain. He had a career-low six sacks last season after putting up four in the first three games.

The extension the Ravens give Suggs could serve as something of a blueprint for the Cowboys. Needing salary-cap space, the Cowboys cannot have Ware count $16 million against the cap. They can restructure his deal again, but all that does is push money into future caps. They can cut him, which leaves them without a pass rusher of note. They can offer him a cut in pay with the chance to earn money back in incentives.

NFL Nation Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley offered up his take on the Suggs’ deal and what it meant for both sides.

“In the end, Suggs realized he wasn't going to make more money elsewhere and the Ravens understood they weren't going to get a pass-rusher like Suggs at a lower price. It was a smart move for the Ravens and Suggs. The Ravens know they're not getting the 2011 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, but Suggs is still a quality defender who can rush the passer and set the edge against the run (although he had lapses in this area last season). He made 80 tackles and 10 sacks in what was a below-average season for him.

“There is some risk involved in extending Suggs. His game has been in decline the past two seasons. He missed half of the 2012 season after tearing his Achilles tendon and he picked up weight in the second half of the 2013 season, which led to one sack in his final eight games and a reduced number of snaps. But, considering what the Ravens have to address in the draft and free agency, they didn't have the luxury to spend money in free agency or use a draft pick on a pass-rusher this offseason.”

The decisions are the same for the Cowboys and Ware, although I would contend the Cowboys could still take a pass rusher in the draft even if Ware is back.

The Cowboys understand they cannot get into the top-end of the free agent market. The pass rushers in the draft do not look to be as bountiful or as talented as some other years. Ware has to figure out what he would get on the open market after a down season and see if it would be worth it to him to take a look.

That’s why the Suggs’ deal matters to the Cowboys.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Needing salary-cap space, the Cowboys cannot have Ware count $16 million against the cap. They can restructure his deal again, but all that does is push money into future caps. They can cut him, which leaves them without a pass rusher of note

OMGZ...it leaves us without a pass rusher of note :dunce which means Jerry will panic and do something stupid.

Reality is, Ware was nothing special last year, and cutting him might hamper us this season, but would pave the way to draft a DE next year.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

dallen

Senior Tech
Yeah, no thanks.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
If we could get Ware to go for a deal like that we should jump at the chance. 16 million guaranteed over the next two years as compared to the 16 million he counts against this year's cap alone. It would basically be a two year deal and you can flush the rest.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He was like 20 when he was drafted. Same year we drafted Newman's old ass.
It was already something like a 5 year difference. Jerral was convinced he was getting Deion Sanders. Fucking nobody is Deion Sanders.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It was already something like a 5 year difference. Jerral was convinced he was getting Deion Sanders. Fucking nobody is Deion Sanders.
Wait, so you are saying Mo Claiborne isn't the next Deion either?

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think Ware needs to go. As dominant a player as he has been I have never really thought other teams ever game planned around him. He just does not have the edge I want. I want a guy who will push the OT at the end of a play he was being held on instead of crying to the refs for a flag.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Ware needs to go. As dominant a player as he has been I have never really thought other teams ever game planned around him. He just does not have the edge I want. I want a guy who will push the OT at the end of a play he was being held on instead of crying to the refs for a flag.
He probably won't. He costs more to cut than keep, I think.

Plus, if he is dumped, we will end up quite possibly having to replace all four DL starters.

I know there is some talk now we could cave in to Hatcher or worse, resign Spencer. I would rather just deal with Ware's money issues and hope for the best.

I just know we are not going to go into the offseason needing four new guys. Not our style.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He'll be here, but he is part of a culture I want no part of anymore. Time to blow this up.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Remember when we passed on Suggs for Newman.

Good times.
And all the people who stood up for the Newman pick.

And then all the people who stood up for the Claiborne pick.

And all the people who will justify the next time Dallas takes a CB in the first.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I thought Parcells wanted the even worse Dwayne Robertson and then the pretty decent Kevin Williams.
Lacewell is on record stating that Jerry and he told Parcells at dinner that Newman was the pick and that Parcells wasn't happy about it.

He may have liked Robertson, but Robertson wasn't there at 5. Newman and Williams were.

We know who Parcells would have chosen.

p1_

DCC 4Life
See Morris Claiborne as attempt deux.

Top Bottom