Pit bull question

jeebs

Brand New Member
My house backs up to a ponding basin, and was broken into last year. Since then on at least two occasions while I was at work people have hopped my back fence to see if they could get in.

My current dog comes to work with me every day, yet at 47 pounds and incapable of fighting anything she wouldn't be any help if she was home.

So i was thinking of getting a pit for my backyard. I would prefer a Doberman, everyone I have ever seen was protective and smart, but I don't think the personality is right to be alone from 8-6 daily.

Would a pit, as a breed, protect the backyard? I understand it is some what subjective, my last black mouth cur would have fought to death, this one not so much.

Thoughts on the best backyard defense dog?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
A pit on looks alone makes for a great defense dog. Mine doesn't bark a lot, but when he huffs and growls it is more than sufficient enough of a deterrent to make someone think twice before they jump the fence. Although mine would probably never even bite someone breaking in, it's highly doubtful anyone would have the nuts to jump the fence and even attempt it.

jeebs

Brand New Member
They stole my TV, I need one that bites.

I might just go see what the pound has in stock. They are always good for a few pits.

It is not my everyday dog so I am less concerned about pure bred

Cotton

Staff member
They stole my TV, I need one that bites.

I might just go see what the pound has in stock. They are always good for a few pits.

It is not my everyday dog so I am less concerned about pure bred
Oh, pits bite. (obviously) I just raised mine to be subservient because I have kids and I had to be able to trust him around them.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Oh, pits bite. (obviously) I just raised mine to be subservient because I have kids and I had to be able to trust him around them.
I don't want him to bite me! Fucker better be subservient...

Cotton

Staff member
I don't want him to bite me! Fucker better be subservient...
Yeah, mine would never even think about even growling at me let alone biting me. But, I'm not sure he would even bit someone jumping the fence. Maybe he would, I don't know. Hopefully, I never have to find out.

jeebs

Brand New Member
But seriously, I worry because sometimes pits have he personality of labs and it takes a whole lot to get them riled. I trust a Doberman or a German shepered to get riled if someone hops the back fence. Seems like my odds are closer to 50/50 with a pit (and 1 in 10 with a lab).

midswat

... soon
Dude... Get a German shepherd. Smart, disciplined, great watch dogs.

jeebs

Brand New Member
My biggest objection is they have beedy eyes.

And the smarter the dog the more I worry about him being alone for 10 hours a day.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Pits are sensitive and needy, like labs, a lot of the time. I've seen them develop separation anxiety and tear shit up while their owners are gone.

Your German Shepherds are going to be more independent and comfortable being left alone while you're at work for long hours. Any large Shepherd type breed will have that "protect the flock/territory while the master is away" instinct since that was what they were specifically bred for.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Love German Shepherds, really smart dogs, just they are escape artists. I've had 3 and they all could scale a 6' fence, now they would always come back(usually waiting on front porch when one of us got home) it's just something you need to be aware of. Now we have an English Mastiff that is a big baby but he is big enough to scare any would-be thief

Cotton

Staff member
A dog that jumps the fence isn't going to be able to protect the backyard very well if he ain't in it.

midswat

... soon
Get a Pitbull and you'll be posting about how it maimed a three year old before you know it.

Cotton

Staff member
Get a Pitbull and you'll be posting about how it maimed a three year old before you know it.
Your antagonism... it won't work.

midswat

... soon
It's a known fact that the only thing that's killed more babies than the US Marines are pitbulls.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Shepered it is. But I won't sleep easy with that beedy eyed bastard around.

Jon88

Banned
I would adopt a put bull mix from the shelter or mix of Chow or German Sheperd.

Strays make the best guard dogs and they're free. My dad has always had at least 2 in his backyard, which is literally separated from the hood by a row of trees and a fence. No one has ever jumped into the backyard and he's been there for 20 years.

jeebs

Brand New Member
I don't want to get my current delicate dog fucked up by inheriting someone else's problems; and every chow I ever met was the meanest most uncontrollable son of a bitch imaginable. I mean I consider myself a straight, full sized, non Mexican Cesar Milan but I don't want to start with that.

Top Bottom