Romo out for rest of season, per Schefter, per "league source"

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If this threatens Romo's career...I bet Jones goes after Manziel. Dead serious.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Tony Romo out for rest of season
Updated: December 23, 2013, 6:31 PM ET

Cowboys Lose Romo

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo will miss the rest of the season because of a back injury, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter on Monday.

Romo has a herniated disk in the lumbar region and needs to have surgery, a source told ESPN Senior NFL Insider Chris Mortensen.

At his weekly news conference, coach Jason Garrett wouldn't rule Romo out, instead saying he would receive treatment each day this week and the team would evaluate the quarterback's injury each day.

"We just have to take it day by day," Garrett said.

The Cowboys (8-7) host the Philadelphia Eagles (9-6) on Sunday night, with the winner capturing the NFC East title. Kyle Orton likely will get the start at quarterback for Dallas.

Orton has 69 career starts and is 35-34. He hasn't started since the 2011 regular-season finale with Kansas City.

Garrett said the Cowboys likely will sign another quarterback this week, as Orton is the only backup on the roster.

"We have Kyle Orton here for a reason," Garrett said, adding that Orton prepares as though he's the starting quarterback each week.

Romo said Sunday he would undergo an MRI on his back Monday but didn't believe the injury would jeopardize his availability for the Philadelphia game.

Romo said his back, which was sore going into Sunday's comeback victory over the Washington Redskins, began to bother him after a hit in the first half.

"That triggered it a little bit," Romo said Sunday. "Whatever the kid did on that one play, it really sent something that didn't feel comfortable. But it's in a completely different spot than the back stuff I had last year, so that's a good sign."

Romo had surgery in April to remove a cyst from his back and did not take a snap until the team reached training camp in July.

Romo was limping as he carried out fakes on running plays against Washington. He also appeared to kick the back of his leg after spinning free from the pocket on a third-down pass to Miles Austin.

Romo completed 17 of 27 passes for 226 yards, including the winning touchdown to DeMarco Murray on fourth-and-goal from the Washington 10 with 1:08 to play.

Longtime teammate Jason Witten admired Romo's toughness after news of the extent of the quarterback's injury had been learned.

"A lot of times you lose sight of [Romo's toughness], what Tony is all about, the kind of toughness that he shows day in and day out, not only mentally but physically, you just commend him how he approaches it, just resilient to find a way and he's so good in those situations and kind of put the team on his back."

Romo has dealt with numerous injuries over the years, including a broken rib in 2011. He hurt his ribs again in last season's season-ending loss to the Redskins, a result that kept the Cowboys from making the playoffs.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Iamtdg sure is testy for someone who apparently didn't give a damn and was hoping for an epic collapse.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Who do you want then?

I'm looking for fits...take it or shove it up your ass.
I encourage you to look for fits, I don't want whomever to see a down. I just think there are better fits than
Caleb (I'm from Forney, Texas) Hanie. That is all.

And leave my ass out of it. :lol

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
At least we knkw he'd throw it up and give Dez a chance to catch it.
I know you're not talking about Orton, but if he's willing to give Dez more of a chance to fight for the ball coupled with 25-30 rushes, I think the Cowboys can hang.

The problem is that I can't see how in the world our awful defense is gonna keep the Eagles from scoring 30 plus.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Orton has 69 career starts and is 35-34.
Now that's poetic. Garrett loves him some .500 records.

8-8, 8-8, and with a loss Sunday another 8-8 with Orton going to 35-35. Like it was scripted from above. :lol

1bigfan13

Staff member
Last I heard Jamarcus Russell was under 300 lbs.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Iamtdg sure is testy for someone who apparently didn't give a damn and was hoping for an epic collapse.
I have said all along that I want to root against them but just can't do it come game time. I do hope for an epic collapse if/when we lose on Sunday, though. But I only hope for that in a desperate hope it causes some real change. Even if it just Garrett getting ousted.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Now that's poetic. Garrett loves him some .500 records.

8-8, 8-8, and with a loss Sunday another 8-8 with Orton going to 35-35. Like it was scripted from above. :lol
Which is why we need to be on the phone with Vince Young. 31-19 as starter.

Dude is a winner.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I know you're not talking about Orton, but if he's willing to give Dez more of a chance to fight for the ball coupled with 25-30 rushes, I think the Cowboys can hang.

The problem is that I can't see how in the world our awful defense is gonna keep the Eagles from scoring 30 plus.
Talking about Leftwich...I'll quote it next time for clarity.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Dude is a winner.
Ready your throat. Booze will be right back.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Dude is a winner.
Two things. First, Garrett would have him working towards .500 in no time.

Second, DUCK!!

Carp

DCC 4Life
I encourage you to look for fits, I don't want whomever to see a down. I just think there are better fits than
Caleb (I'm from Forney, Texas) Hanie. That is all.

And leave my ass out of it. :lol
So again I ask...who on this list will keep me out of your ass?

Top Bottom