2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Nicely reasoned article but he left out the rise in cable news and talk radio as well.
Cable News and Talk Radio was firmly entrenched three-four elections ago.

Twitter and other social media are the game changers.

About the only crowd who pays attention to cable news and talk radio are the older voters.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
But yet you would vote for him over Hillary.
The biggest crime in all of this is not the rise of Trump.

It is the pathetic democratic underestimation of the voting populace.

I am not stupid enough to think that a (D) or an (R) is any different.

They won't be.

Normally.

But this is positively the most frightening choice for a President we have had in our nation's history.

Even if you voted along party lines in the past, it was rare that you looked at the other guy and freaked shit.

Now? Holy fucking shit.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Cable News and Talk Radio was firmly entrenched three-four elections ago.

Twitter and other social media are the game changers.

About the only crowd who pays attention to cable news and talk radio are the older voters.
They were around but they were not such advocates as they are now.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The biggest crime in all of this is not the rise of Trump.

It is the pathetic democratic underestimation of the voting populace.

I am not stupid enough to think that a (D) or an (R) is any different.

They won't be.

Normally.

But this is positively the most frightening choice for a President we have had in our nation's history.

Even if you voted along party lines in the past, it was rare that you looked at the other guy and freaked shit.

Now? Holy fucking shit.
Yep, it's like everything said about Obama come true.:lol

Jiggyfly

Banned
I would vote for a lot of people over Hillary but you don't hear me calling her names or being disparaging about her supporters.
That has nothing to do with the fact that you think Trump would be a better president.

I just want know how you explain that?

townsend

Banned
I'd say it's pretty significant.

No, I can tell you that. It's silly.

Trump is a lot of things but he doesn't have the fortitude to be a dictator.
I bet he could take Kim Jung Un in a cage match. Kid looks way softer than Trump. I'd be interested to see how Donald would rule North Korea and Kimmy would run Trump Inc if they had some kind of Freaky Friday thing go down (Maybe they both touch Dennis Rodman at the same time). My suspicion is that little would change.

Is there really much difference between a tyrant and a bully, other than the number of people willing to carry out their wishes? Imagine how many lives Trump has ruined for his own profit to date. Imagine a man who gleefully asks people to beat the shit out of a protester, in charge of a nations military. At what point, if put in the position to be a tin pot dictator (if he was on the path to do so) do you see Trump (who wants to torture families) stopping because of moral concerns?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't see Trump having the stomach for any of that. There is a huge difference between your average bully and crossing the line into Hitler style totalitarianism.

And frankly I'm not even sure Trump is much of a bully. He's more of a loudmouth who knows being boastful will win him votes. Isn't there something more that ties together people like Saddam Hussein and Kim Jong Il? That's a rhetorical question.

townsend

Banned
I don't see Trump having the stomach for any of that. There is a huge difference between your average bully and crossing the line into Hitler style totalitarianism.

And frankly I'm not even sure Trump is much of a bully. He's more of a loudmouth who knows being boastful will win him votes. Isn't there something more that ties together people like Saddam Hussein and Kim Jong Il? That's a rhetorical question.
Give me your working definition of a bully and I will use Trumps words and deeds to prove he fits that definition. Whether he has a dictator's stomach might be academic, since he's not running in a country that will elect him, much less permit him to try his hand at dictatorship. But I have to believe, knowing what we do about Trump, that his morality very well might not have a rock bottom. Between the compulsive lying, the inability to accept his own fault, his willingness to defraud and swindle, and his raw shamelessness, the man's highly suspect for full blown sociopathy.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Well for one none of us knows what Trump is truly capable of.

And History is littered with people who have become drunk with power and done things they normally would not do.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep, it's like everything said about Obama come true.:lol
A little bit of it did.

Obama went too far and pandered to the gimmie gimmie gimmie crowd.

Like it or not, this is a more divided nation.

That is why people are so pissed off and a good chunk of them are willing to vote for an inexperienced lunatic like Trump.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well it seems to me like there are some pretty huge leaps of logic, is all.

I mean, Hillary Clinton could easily be viewed as a sociopath, she's a liar and an egotist as well. She just doesn't mix it with slightly radical anti-immigration policies and machismo. She has her own brand of abuse of power lined up for when she is elected, though, you can be sure.

The left just runs way too easily to the Hitler/dictator comparison. Bush was Hitler. Now Trump is Hitler.

Translation: We equate any viewpoint that is farther right than moderately conservative to be "extremism."

Get over yourselves.

Trump isn't going to instantly ruin the country if he's President just like Obama didn't instantly ruin it or Bush didn't before him.

It's all a slow burn and Trump is just another step in that direction.

Leave the hyperbole at the door please, you look and sound foolish.

PS, I will be voting third party before voting for Trump so do not mistake me for an apologist. I have made the same argument to conservatives who told me I must vote for whatever schlub they trot out in a general election to stop Obama who is going to "ruin the country."

Last edited:

townsend

Banned
A little bit of it did.

That is why people are so pissed off and a good chunk of them are willing to vote for an inexperienced lunatic like Trump.
He was easily the most libera president since Carter, and he was black, so there has been plenty to work with for the kind of people who support Trump to get worked up into a lather. I remember being being livid when ACA got passed.
Fox News managed to get me pretty damn rabid in the 10 or so days I was watching it. I can't imagine being the person who watches it for the last 8 years straight.

My father, after watching Glenn Beck, was damn convinced an armed Muslim revolt was going to happen in the US and that Obama was planning on supplanting the American government with some kind of Sharia law. Trump and all his birthed nonsense appeals to that kind of mindlessness.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Describe your ideal candidate and important policy points for the next 8 years.

To be honest, I'm tired of the talking points being stuff like immigration and religion and planned parenthood. It's long past time to get back to talking points like peace through strength and tax cuts and individual liberty and smaller government with less government intrusion into people's lives. And we need to fix healthcare.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Come on, man...it feels good. Dump that trashy party.

And I'm a white, evangelical, business owner, gun supporter (honestly don't even own guns myself)...I pretty much check most of the boxes, yet I can't be fully be placed in a box. If I can leave the party so can you. :art

I honestly don't know what I am. I often call myself a recovering Republican. I suppose Libertarian fits me the best.
Both main parties are trashy, but I'd prefer the party that comes closest to my core beliefs. The problem if trump wins is that he could steer the party into a direction I simply don't believe in. His being a scam artist notwithstanding.

I agree with libertarians on some issues but not others.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
To be honest, I'm tired of the talking points being stuff like immigration and religion and planned parenthood. It's long past time to get back to talking points like peace through strength and tax cuts and individual liberty and smaller government with less government intrusion into people's lives. And we need to fix healthcare.
Yes it is but that all went down the drain when Trump jumped out in the lead on the Republican side and the entrenched GOP mainstays and the media frenzy took over. All legitimate campaign platforms went by the wayside and excessive mudslinging became the topic of debate. It all insanity currently.

Jiggyfly

Banned
A little bit of it did.

I totally understand why the Trump people are pissed off.

The Republican party has been playing them since 2004 and they doubled down in 2010 and still got played.

I have never understood the loyalty shown to a party that was pretty blatantly all about taking care of big business while big business was say fuck you to the workforce.

I will give Trump credit for lifting that veil.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
How do you fix healthcare? I have no fucking idea. I just know it will never be fixed as long as for profit insurance companies are in charge. And I seriously doubt allowing them to sell over state lines will do much to lower prices at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom