Deflategate report is out...

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Gamesmanship? Please.

Circumventing the rules to gain a competitive advantage is cheating. Trying to pass it off as anything else is retarded.
It's not a clear cut advantage since not everybody even agrees on how they want their footballs inflated. If it was a significant advantage I'd agree, but I see it more as a personal comfort thing like a uniform violation.

Carp

DCC 4Life
4 games is too much, but I guess this is what the Browns GM got for his cell phone deal, so it fits in there somehow. The deflated balls in the AFCC had nothing to do with the Pats beating them 45-7 though.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It's not a clear cut advantage since not everybody even agrees on how they want their footballs inflated. If it was a significant advantage I'd agree, but I see it more as a personal comfort thing like a uniform violation.
Is it against the rules? Yes? Then there is no argument.

And numerous QBs have stated that you can get a better grip on the ball, so I wouldn't say it's not a clear cut advantage.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
It is against the rules, but 4 games seems excessive.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
It is against the rules, but 4 games seems excessive.
I don't agree. It's a matter trying to gain a competitive advantage by breaking the rules. Not much different than taking PEDs, imo. Players do that to gain a competitive advantage. Not just to shrink their balls.

25 games for Hardy seems excessive.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Completely agree on Hardy, but that has nothing to do with Brady. Not sure why teams are allowed to handle their own footballs to begin with...I'd be curious if they were the only ones doing it...or if they were the only team caught.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

And numerous QBs have stated that you can get a better grip on the ball, so I wouldn't say it's not a clear cut advantage.
Uniform violations are against the rules. Lots of things are against the rules that only result in a fine.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Uniform violations are against the rules. Lots of things are against the rules that only result in a fine.
Is an untucked jersey giving the guy an advantage? How bout if his socks aren't pulled up or the wrong color?

D

Deuce

Uniform violations are against the rules because it violates contracts the league has with its vendors. They don't offer any advantages or disadvantages to the teams.

That said, 4 games does seem steep but I'm rooting for it to stick simply cause it helps Dallas. I'll take the wounded animal.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
My view is that they looked at it as a performing advantage and 4 games is what they give PEDs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
4 games is too much, but I guess this is what the Browns GM got for his cell phone deal, so it fits in there somehow. The deflated balls in the AFCC had nothing to do with the Pats beating them 45-7 though.
They have texts going back over a year. This isn't a one game thing. Not sure why people keep talking about it like it is.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

They say it allows for a better grip on the ball, receivers say it's easier to hold onto those balls. RB's say it's easier to not fumble.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Is an untucked jersey giving the guy an advantage? How bout if his socks aren't pulled up or the wrong color?
I don't think the ball thing is much of an advantage, some QBs like them lower pressure, some like them higher pressure. You can intentionally injure someone and only get a fine or one game suspension.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't think the ball thing is much of an advantage, some QBs like them lower pressure, some like them higher pressure. You can intentionally injure someone and only get a fine or one game suspension.
And? I don't give a shit if one QB likes it overinflated, and another likes it underinflated. The point is, Brady obviously likes them underinflated, and it is OUTSIDE THE PARAMETERS SET BY THE RULES. And yeah, if you can get a better grip on a ball, especially a cold or wet one, it is obviously an advantage. And has been stated by numerous players, not just QBs. Not sure why this is so hard for you to understand.

And intentionally injuring somebody is a whole other thing and has absolutely nothing to do with this. Hey, did you know that sometimes defenses try to mimic the offenses cadence to try and fuck them up? Yeah, that has absolutely nothing to do with this, either.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really? What NFL player likes a ball over inflated? Except maybe a defensive player.

D

Deuce

They say it allows for a better grip on the ball, receivers say it's easier to hold onto those balls. RB's say it's easier to not fumble.
So that means either Romo is clean of cheating or Murray's problems will be even worse in the future.

D

Deuce

Really? What NFL player likes a ball over inflated? Except maybe a defensive player.
Probably a weak armed QB. The more air, the lighter the ball feels. It might make a difference for someone like Chad Pennington throwing that 10 yard out.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
He'd obviously been ordering deflated balls for awhile. The "deflator", as the guy called himself, seemed to be tired of Brady's shit. So it seems that this had been going on for awhile.

So while it may not have impacted that particular game, there's no telling how long he's been doing this. How has this helped? He's able to make a more accurate throw with a ball that he can grip better, fitting the ball right on the money. You don't even need to have great WRs when that is the case. How long have they gone without addressing the WR position? Before Moss and after, it hasn't been a deal for them. He makes them better because he's cool under pressure and he throws an accurate ball. Why is he so accurate? Wrinkly balls.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
One question keeps coming to mind for me... If it wasn't making any difference as they are claiming, and they obviously knew it was against the rules, then WHY was he doing it?

Top Bottom