Sturm: Why Cowboys’ offense can win the Super Bowl this season

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
facts schmacts :art
From Sturm himself. Curious as to how Smitty spins this. My guess would be that he says something like "Well, show me one time where Sturm said it wasn't the OL that was the problem" or some such crap.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
32nd in the league. How Jason Garrett is that? We realize that more carries will lower the average - most likely - but, come on. This is crazy.

You do something well and you still don't care to do it. So, I have heard from several people who look at this and are not convinced of anything. Look at the teams that are running well - those aren't the best teams in the league. And you are right. I am not here to argue that rushing yards per game means that you win a lot. This is merely a discussion about how the Cowboys can win more games by using their common sense and figuring out how to further assist a poor defense by keeping them off the field.

I am here to report that the idea the Cowboys don't run because they can't run is incorrect information if we update results. And it mirrors what we have seen below in our tracking of personnel groups. It is not aided by garbage time or 3rd and 15 draws. The Cowboys are lining up and running the ball with great success since DeMarco has come back.

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2013/12/decoding-callahan-week-15-green-bay-1.html

Get out.
That comes from the end of 2013.

When we all agree that the line improved. Which fits right into Sturm saying that the line improved in the 2nd half of 2013.

He specifically says "going back to November 1st."

Thanks for backing up my point.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Well DAMMMMMMM.
Obviously you didn't even read what was just posted.

Schmitty: "The line sucked until the 2nd half of 2013."

Iamtdg posts an article: "Cowboys good at running the ball since November 2013."

Jiggy: "Daaaaaamn."

:dunce

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Please explain the GB game last year.
I have explained it over and over again, in that I've said it was an inexcusable failure on Garrett's part to not realize the line was getting better.

But not proof that the origin of his lack of called runs was anything other than the line sucking at run blocking in the years past.

I would say it's unarguable, but there are a handful of people on here who give it their damnedest every few days.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Obviously you didn't even read what was just posted.

Schmitty: "The line sucked until the 2nd half of 2013."

Iamtdg posts an article: "Cowboys good ad running the ball since November 2013."

Jiggy: "Daaaaaamn."

:dunce
Hook line and sinker.

And what does it being 2013 have to do with anything it corroborates everything I have said, stop acting like you are talking to a bunch of idiots, we can actually read.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Sturm from 2012-
And that is the real killer. The running game was working. The offensive line was playing at a reasonably decent level. And that is why you sit here today and feel that the Cowboys should have been able to win that game, despite not having any real ability to stop the Redskins rushing attack.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
From Sturm himself. Curious as to how Smitty spins this. My guess would be that he says something like "Well, show me one time where Sturm said it wasn't the OL that was the problem" or some such crap.
I'm curious as to whether you actually follow these debates, if you thought that posting an article that said our run blocking at the end of 2013 had improved, moves the needle on this debate at all.

Well, besides bolstering my point.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Sturm from 2012-
And that is the real killer. The running game was working. The offensive line was playing at a reasonably decent level. And that is why you sit here today and feel that the Cowboys should have been able to win that game, despite not having any real ability to stop the Redskins rushing attack.
Hey what about 2011?

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'm curious as to whether you actually follow these debates, if you thought that posting an article that said our run blocking at the end of 2013 had improved, moves the needle on this debate at all.

Well, besides bolstering my point.
Not even you actually believe this.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Hook line and sinker.

And what does it being 2013 have to do with anything it corroborates everything I have said, stop acting like you are talking to a bunch of idiots, we can actually read.
What does it have to do with being 2013???

My whole point is that going into 2013 our run blocking sucked and that is what forced Garrett to go away from it in general, and that in seasons when the OL was reasonable (like in 2007 and 2008) we did run the ball more.

But by the 2nd half of the year the blocking improved. Garrett is at fault for for not realizing it sooner but it is not evidence that he did not want to run more.

Garrett has many flaws and going pass happy has always been one of them. But to have a season with only 330 rushing attempts is a deliberate attempt to stay away from a run blocking line that was game planned around because of its incompetence.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not even you actually believe this.
Well it's not anything different than I've been saying. Maybe you are misunderstanding my point.

You say you can read but you aren't doing anything to persuade me that you actually are.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
What does it have to do with being 2013???

My whole point is that going into 2013 our run blocking sucked and that is what forced Garrett to go away from it in general, and that in seasons when the OL was reasonable (like in 2007 and 2008) we did run the ball more.

But by the 2nd half of the year the blocking improved. Garrett is at fault for for not realizing it sooner but it is not evidence that he did not want to run more.
You keep saying that but no one knows the run blocking sucked because the team.didn't run. That is an arbitrary thought process on your part.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You keep saying that but no one knows the run blocking sucked because the team.didn't run. That is an arbitrary thought process on your part.
The team ran enough to know that it couldn't. Over the course of 3 seasons in 2010-2012.

Yeah, we don't know that Phil Costa sucked at run blocking. GTFO. Hey, 300+ carries weren't enough to know!!!

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The team ran enough to know that it couldn't. Over the course of 3 seasons in 2010-2012.

Yeah, we don't know that Phil Costa sucked at run blocking. GTFO. Hey, 300+ carried weren't enough to know!!!
300 carries over how long a period?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
300 carries over how long a period?
In any given season, leading to the heavy use of the draw as the only way we could generate any positive rush attack since when we went at a defense straight-up, it failed miserably.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
In any given season, leading to the heavy use of the draw as the only way we could generate any positive rush attack since when we went at a defense straight-up, it failed miserably.
Did Dallas have that many rushes in the seasons in question? I haven't looked it up.

Cotton

Staff member
That comes from the end of 2013.

When we all agree that the line improved. Which fits right into Sturm saying that the line improved in the 2nd half of 2013.

He specifically says "going back to November 1st."

Thanks for backing up my point.
He just used that number to show that they were #1 in the NFL in rushing since that point. You just have to bend it to your agenda to mean that he is saying we sucked previously with the run. He specifically says that what you have said is false.

Cotton

Staff member
Can't believe I let myself get dragged back into one of these.

Peace.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Of course it did.

If you don't believe in the run, you don't practice the run, you don't make it a point of emphasis that kind of stuff happens.

Tough for you to get your arms around, but it is a simple fact.

Jason Garrett was full of shit all along about wanting to run. He said it because it was political.

When it came down to it, he refused to back it up as he had more trust issues than an abandoned orphan.

Top Bottom