MLB Chatter Thread

Jiggyfly

Banned
Has any of these mega contracts actually worked out in baseball?

You would think at some point teams would stop because the return is just not there.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Has any of these mega contracts actually worked out in baseball?

You would think at some point teams would stop because the return is just not there.
I dont think they do for the most part. The Rangers got lucky and even underpaid for the value they got in Adrian Beltre (16 per year) in 2011. For every one that does you can probably name 7 or 8 that dont (guessing on that number).

D

Deuce

I can't wait to see how Cabrera's deal pans out. There's a lot of years left on that thing.

D

Deuce

Guaranteed contracts in baseball are problematic.
No salary cap is the bigger deal. Have one of those and then guaranteed contracts isn't as bad because they will be cut drastically in yearly amount.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rev

Staff member
I can't wait to see how Cabrera's deal pans out. There's a lot of years left on that thing.
8 years plus 2 more vesting options. 240 million to go. They got lucky and got rid of most of Princes money.

dallen

Senior Tech

This is a great Rangers article even if it was written by a Mariners fan.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

This is a great Rangers article even if it was written by a Mariners fan.
That's a damn good write-up, and spot on. If you had told me we would have the injuries and bad play from certain players at this point in the season, I would have told you we would be vying for last place, not first. It's been a pretty amazing run. And, now, Banny is impressing the hell out of me by benching Fielder and Moreland to keep his hot bats at the plate, no matter the size of contracts. Maybe it's just because I'm used to Jerry Jones doing the exact opposite all of these years, but it really is impressive to me.

Cotton

Staff member

:tippytoe

Rev

Staff member
Giles needs to worry about his team then throwing down challenges.

Cotton

Staff member
Giles needs to worry about his team then throwing down challenges.
Especially right after he just gave up the walk off hit.

Cotton

Staff member
Ermergerd

Cotton

Staff member
Holy shit, Profar is an athlete. He practiced at 1st base for the last two days. He had never played the position in his life. He gets the start at 1st last night. He made two ridiculous stretches. One to complete a double play, and one almost to complete one. Kid is just incredible. Oh, and he's batting like .380. So, there's that, too.

Cotton

Staff member

Rev

Staff member
Holy shit, Profar is an athlete. He practiced at 1st base for the last two days. He had never played the position in his life. He gets the start at 1st last night. He made two ridiculous stretches. One to complete a double play, and one almost to complete one. Kid is just incredible. Oh, and he's batting like .380. So, there's that, too.
And is only 23. Lot of fun years ahead hopefully.

Cotton

Staff member
And is only 23. Lot of fun years ahead hopefully.
Next year, Moreland and Elvis are both gone. Gallo is called up to play first and Profar is moved to short. Best infield in the majors at that point? I would have to say yes.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Next year, Moreland and Elvis are both gone. Gallo is called up to play first and Profar is moved to short. Best infield in the majors at that point? I would have to say yes.
Best in the majors? How is that? Gallo hasn't even shown he can stick in the majors yet.

I wouldn't even rate their infield as better than the Twins with Sano/Plouffe (plouffe will be gone next year), Nunez, Dozier and Mauer. And I wouldn't say they are one of the best in the majors, either. Odor and Dozier are a push. Odor better avg, Dozier better power and defense. Sano and Beltre have similar offense right now. Sano is pretty good defensively for a big man, and I admittedly don't know much about Beltre's defense. I do know that he's about 167 years old, though. Sano is 23. They are clearly headed in different directions. Short stop I'll give to the Rangers if that's where Profar ends up. Question is, will he keep it up? And Nunez is batting .350 with 10 homers so far this year, and great defense. I'll still give this to Profar, as Nunez is having a career year and while a good player, history has shown isn't THIS good. Gallo and Mauer at first? Mauer all day, every day. He still bats .300 in his sleep and is always at the top in doubles and walks, while providing gold glove caliber defense. Until Gallo shows he can stay up and bat more than .225 consistently, this is no contest.

I'd be interested in why you think the Rangers would have the majors best infield.

Rev

Staff member
Beltres defense is superb and one that will be greatly missed when he retires. I don't know if I would want any other person at 3rd even at his age. Makes routine plays and spectacular plays are made routinely. Other points is just based on opinions. I am happy with the future infield and it should be very good.

Top Bottom