Cowboys sign Morris

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Looks like Cleveland may sign him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I would expect Morris to be an instant upgrade over McFadden but you never know with this coaching staff, they obviously make strange personnel decisions on starters, like Christine Michael never getting even a chance.
They are different animals, and I look at Morris as more of a grinder with McFadden being a better receiver and more explosive.

We needed a guy like this. Now we can enter the draft a bit more open-minded.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, you don't take a QB in the third and think, "This guy is ready to be our primary backup this year." You do that with a fourth overall though, maybe.
Yeah my only fear is that they look at someone like Connor Cook who has been playing in an NFL style offense as someone who would be ready right away and not require the first round pick. That would be awfully stupid though. Especially when Cook could easily go late first round and then we are sitting there with no options or Dak Prescott. Who really is no different then having no option.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I doubt we draft a guy in the 1st/2nd at this point but I don't see why we wouldn't look at a guy in the 3rd/4th.

And our lack of interest in free agent QB's is very telling, let's just hope it's because we plan on taking a guy at 4 and not in the 2nd or 3rd.
Sounds like they're going to make a move. I'm praying Goff or Wentz are the real deal, not just guys we could have had in the 2nd or 3rd anyways, because that's a big pick to piss away.

The 2nd round has produced some solid QB's in recent years, and I'm warming to the idea that even if he doesn't become our long term starter we'd at least have a backup we are committed to getting reps in practice.

We found out last year how important a backup can be and just how think the NFL currently is at the position. And if Romo's back starts acting up, the new QB can also practice on Wednesdays.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Sounds like they're going to make a move. I'm praying Goff or Wentz are the real deal, not just guys we could have had in the 2nd or 3rd anyways, because that's a big pick to piss away.

The 2nd round has produced some solid QB's in recent years, and I'm warming to the idea that even if he doesn't become our long term starter we'd at least have a backup we are committed to getting reps in practice.

We found out last year how important a backup can be and just how think the NFL currently is at the position. And if Romo's back starts acting up, the new QB can also practice on Wednesdays.
This is true although there are no Daltons or Wilsons in this draft, I actually really liked Dalton the year he came out and was at least intrigued by Wilson. I have absolutely no interest in guys like Cook, Hackenberg, Prescott, etc. Maybe with a few years of seasoning they end up decent but I wouldn't want to invest the time to find out.

Goff and Wentz are both big time prospects in their own way, they might not be Winston/Mariota but they aren't far off. Goff is not that far off from Matt Ryan coming out and Wentz is not that far off Bortles, both of them went top 5 and that's good enough for me in an underwhelming top 10. I think both of them need time to learn in an ideal world and luckily we have that luxury, but with that luxury I think their chances of reaching their potential increases exponentially.

If there was a Marcell Dareus or Patrick Peterson, sign me up, but there isn't.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is true although there are no Daltons or Wilsons in this draft, I actually really liked Dalton the year he came out and was at least intrigued by Wilson. I have absolutely no interest in guys like Cook, Hackenberg, Prescott, etc. Maybe with a few years of seasoning they end up decent but I wouldn't want to invest the time to find out.

Goff and Wentz are both big time prospects in their own way, they might not be Winston/Mariota but they aren't far off. Goff is not that far off from Matt Ryan coming out and Wentz is not that far off Bortles, both of them went top 5 and that's good enough for me in an underwhelming top 10.
I was underwhelmed with Mariota before the draft and even more so now.

Goff does remind me of a skinnier Matt Ryan. Wentz's high, quick release is interesting, and he really looks the part.

We need to understand clearly that neither stands out as dominant player and are each less talented than players at other positions in this draft.

No one considered Wentz a top five prospect a year ago just like no one considered Blake Bortles a top five prospect in 2013 just like right now the top QB prospect in next year's draft is also likely to come out of nowhere.

I think we have just as good a chance at finding a QB in next year's 1st round as either Goff or Wentz.

Look at Denver this year. They are likely going to draft Lynch at the bottom of the 1st and should be fine, even if they trade up a few spots to get him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jerral has a man crush on McFadden. Morris is better built to play on first down than McFadden.

I guess we can forget about Elliott or even Henry later on.

So... Buckner. Or maybe Bosa, please.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerral has a man crush on McFadden. Morris is better built to play on first down than McFadden.

I guess we can forget about Elliott or even Henry later on.

So... Buckner. Or maybe Bosa, please.
Buckner? Oh hell no. I don't care for Bosa all that much but Buckner is not what we need.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Buckner? Oh hell no. I don't care for Bosa all that much but Buckner is not what we need.
Buckner would be a really solid DT in our system, particularly as an interior pass-rusher. I don't see him giving us much as a DE though so he'd probably start out behind Crawford and Thornton, which isn't ideal. If we aren't taking a QB I want our pick to be an immediate starter, obviously.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I believe in Elliott, but I've given up Dallas will do the right thing and take him.

That leaves Buckner who IMO would solidify LDE for years. I value sack-stats less than I do the power and strength at LDE and 1-Technique and think Buckner would make this defense instantly better.

I don't care where he fits best up front, just play him and improve. Idiots get caught up in the 5-technique vs LDE nonsense and need to STFU. He's a player, take him.

Jack is overrated because he played RB.

Ramsey is overrated because he looks good in his underwear to gay men.

Goff and Wentz are overrated because everyone is desperate for a QB.

Elliott is not overrated and is going to be an impact player.

Bosa will be a solid player, though he is not that special (and I love OSU).

7-15 in this draft are better values than 1-6, outside of Tunsil and Buckner and Elliott.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I believe in Elliott, but I've given up Dallas will do the right thing and take him.

That leaves Buckner who IMO would solidify LDE for years. I value sack-stats less than I do the power and strength at LDE and 1-Technique and think Buckner would make this defense instantly better.

I don't care where he fits best up front, just play him and improve. Idiots get caught up in the 5-technique vs LDE nonsense and need to STFU. He's a player, take him.

Jack is overrated because he played RB.

Ramsey is overrated because he looks good in his underwear to gay men.

Elliott is not overrated and is going to be an impact player.

Bosa will be a solid player, though he is not that special (and I love OSU).

7-15 in this draft are better values than 1-6, outside of Tunsil and Buckner and Elliott.
Buckner will not give us any real pass rush as a DE, just hope you realize that.

And Jack is "overrated" because he has the movement skills of a CB or S at 240 lbs, not because he played RB.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Buckner would be a really solid DT in our system, particularly as an interior pass-rusher. I don't see him giving us much as a DE though so he'd probably start out behind Crawford and Thornton, which isn't ideal. If we aren't taking a QB I want our pick to be an immediate starter, obviously.
Just put him at LDE and forget what analysts say.

If Lawrence comes back 100% from his injury, we will have improved greatly on the DL. Crawford will have solid technique from Thornton on one side and strong talent in Buckner on the other side.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And Jack is "overrated" because he has the movement skills of a CB or S at 240 lbs, not because he played RB.
We'll see if he retains those movement skills at the 240 he magically weighed in at the combine or at the 228 he actually played at.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Just put him at LDE and forget what analysts say.

If Lawrence comes back 100% from his injury, we will have improved greatly on the DL. Crawford will have solid technique from Thornton on one side and strong talent in Buckner on the other side.
It's not about what the analysts say, I've watched plenty of his games and I just don't see a guy who can consistently rush the passer off the edge. I do see a guy who could be a terror as an interior pass-rusher though and he would at least provide stoutness against the run as a DE, but I don't think he'd be much better than a David Irving off the edge as a pass-rusher honestly.

His length and power make him a great interior pass-rusher but that is nullified out on the edge in space against guys with just as much length, if not more.

I don't hate the guy, I'd even be ok with him at 4, I just hope people know what he is and what he isn't. He is not a pass-rusher off the edge in the NFL, he can play the run from there in base but in nickel/dime he has to go inside, which is fine. I just don't know how much Marinelli would be willing to give up a presence on the edge in base situations, or if we'd be willing to spend the 4th pick on a guy who is likely best as a DT when we already have a pretty solid set of starting DT's.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Excellent signing...if we can sign Robinson I would feel very good about this off-season. Thrifty, but added quality players.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Nonsense. Just because you don't know anything about them, doesn't mean they're over rated. Or as average as you've been trying to convince people.

I seriously doubt you'd even heard of Wentz up until a couple months ago, and know just about the same about Goff. Only spouting this nonsense because you have it in your head that you'd rather draft somebody else.

I'll go with my own eyes and the opinions of people that do this for a living that are saying both guys are franchise caliber QBs.

ravidubey said:
You putting Buckner and Elliott in your top three pretty much makes anything else you might have to say about this draft hard to take seriously.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Nonsense. Just because you don't know anything about them, doesn't mean they're over rated. Or as average as you've been trying to convince people.

I seriously doubt you'd even heard of Wentz up until a couple months ago, and know just about the same about Goff. Only spouting this nonsense because you have it in your head that you'd rather draft somebody else.

I'll go with my own eyes and the opinions of people that do this for a living that are saying both guys are franchise caliber QBs.
Just like they said Shuler and Dilfer were surefire studs and openly chastised the Colts for taking an all-timer in Marshall Faulk over a dipshit like Heath Shuler.

Kiper has one serious over-inflated opinion of himself.

I'd never heard of Wentz, and are you going to sit here now and tell me you've watched him play "several games" for ND State? I call bullshit. Getting caught in a lie is a slippery slope.

As for Goff, I've always thought he's the best QB prospect in the draft. He's a bit skinny, and I would not consider him an elite prospect by any measure.

Thing is with QB's if they work out at all people think the pick was justified regardless of where they are chosen. I think we can do just as well in the 1st round next year, so I choose to not burn my 4th overall.

You putting Buckner and Elliott in your top three pretty much makes anything else you might have to say about this draft hard to take seriously.
All I have to do to remind me of your complete lack of cred was re-read about your ranting Manziel love in the 2014 draft thread. Seriously entertaining.

How about I have my opinion and you have yours and neither of us know shit about how Goff and Wentz will really turn out?

And as far as my top three, who the hell are yours? Jack? Ramsey? Good luck with that.

Top Bottom