QB Controversy Thread...

townsend

Banned
From 2010

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The odds of Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo to return this season continue to get slimmer.

The Cowboys thought Romo, who suffered a broken left collarbone on Oct. 25, might recover in time to play the final two games of the season. However, owner/general manager Jerry Jones said Sunday that Romo's recovery has taken longer than anticipated.

"I saw him before the [game] and frankly he's still having sensitivity there," Jones said. "If he were healthy, he would practice. If he were healthy, he would practice. We are a little behind where I thought we would be on how healthy he is."

Jones also pointed out that backup quarterback Jon Kitna has a clean bill of health and is playing well enough to win. The 5-9 Cowboys are 4-4 in games started by Kitna, winning four of six since Jason Garrett became the interim head coach.

Romo has done some light throwing during the warm-up portion of practices the past few weeks, but he hasn't put on a pair of shoulder pads since being injured on a hit by New York Giants linebacker Michael Boley.

Jones has said several times that he hopes Romo would be able to play the last two games, but the Cowboys will not rush him if he's at risk of reinjuring the collarbone.

"There is no decision if Romo is hurt," Jones said. "We've never thought about putting him out there hurt. And the fact that Kitna is playing well, healthy, off a win, you've got to think about that as well -- rusty Romo [or] a guy who is playing well enough to win. All of that will have been in the mix. But, as I stand here right before the game, he is not ready to play."

Jones said the Cowboys aren't considering putting Romo on the injured reserve, but the reasoning is that they do not need the roster spot right now.

data

Forbes #1
Where's George Zimmer when you need him? Z knows guarantee.

midswat

... soon
Isn't Romos 108 mil a sunk cost at this point?

You could argue that from a bottom line standpoint, you lose money by starting Romo. No one is buying Romo jerseys anymore. A ton of people have, and will continue to buy Dak jerseys if he keeps playing.

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
Isn't Romos 108 mil a sunk cost at this point?

You could argue that from a bottom line standpoint, you lose money by starting Romo. No one is buying Romo jerseys anymore. A ton of people have, and will continue to buy Dak jerseys if he keeps playing.
I'm still waiting for the Dak color rush jersey to be available personally.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Bledsoe was making a hell of a lot more money than Romo when he got benched. Just isn't true.
Way to channel your inner lawyer.

Bledsoe wasn't making big money, and Parcells had big enough balls to bench him regardless of what Jerry said. He did the same to Peerless Price. Dude barely played and earned 2 mil.

Garrett has never benched one of Jones' big-name players unless it was an organizational decision.

Not even Parcells couldn't stop TO, and Jerry finally acquiesced on Owens only when the whole org including his QB sided against the man.

I don't think you have that in Dallas.

People don't dislike Romo, they only fear being held hostage by Romo's health. That worry is over thanks to Dak.

When Romo is healthy, it's time to kick everything into a higher gear and let Dak take over if it fails to work out.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Way to channel your inner lawyer.

Bledsoe wasn't making big money, and Parcells had big enough balls to bench him regardless of what Jerry said. He did the same to Peerless Price. Dude barely played and earned 2 mil.

Garrett has never benched one of Jones' big-name players unless it was an organizational decision.

Not even Parcells couldn't stop TO, and Jerry finally acquiesced on Owens only when the whole org including his QB sided against the man.

I don't think you have that in Dallas.

People don't dislike Romo, they only fear being held hostage by Romo's health. That worry is over thanks to Dak.

When Romo is healthy, it's time to kick everything into a higher gear and let Dak take over if it fails to work out.
I think he meant when he was benched in NE...

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think he meant when he was benched in NE...
I thought so too at first but I context was Jerry. Brady over Bledsoe had nothing to do with Jerry.

EDIT:

And I'm only being half-serious about the money. I don't care. Romo is far and away our best option despite what mediots say.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Finally someone actually caring to look and analyze. Of course it has to be fricking Eric Davis.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Finally someone actually caring to look and analyze. Of course it has to be fricking Eric Davis.

:lol

"Well we're getting by"

This guy is fucking with me right? We have the most efficient offense in football. We aren't getting by, we are dominating teams. And dominating some pretty good teams at that.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

"Well we're getting by"

This guy is fucking with me right? We have the most efficient offense in football. We aren't getting by, we are dominating teams. And dominating some pretty good teams at that.
But, he like looked and analyzed, so he has to be on to something.

data

Forbes #1
If NFL were 1st & 30, I'd be more concerned.

Getting 10 yards at a time, minimizing turnovers and continuing our red zone TD success is fine with me.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
I'm interested in the average yards gained per drive on non-scoring drives. If we don't score, the next best thing is starting field position, especially with our bend-don't-break defense. How many 3-n-outs have we had with Dak?

Joe Fan

Brand New Member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm interested in the average yards gained per drive on non-scoring drives. If we don't score, the next best thing is starting field position, especially with our bend-don't-break defense. How many 3-n-outs have we had with Dak?
We have had 9 three and outs this season. For comparison sake, we had 14 three and outs through 6 games in 2014, with around 7 more TO's. (didn't pull the exact number of TO's, but counted as I pulled the 3 and outs)

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If NFL were 1st & 30, I'd be more concerned.

Getting 10 yards at a time, minimizing turnovers and continuing our red zone TD success is fine with me.
How do you keep minimizing turnovers? Do you think Dak will maintain his 1/182 interception rate? Even still he's had two fumbles and a pick the last two games. Elliott had the two fumbles, but more are inevitable from the running game given the number of carries.

Just as big a killer for us are penalties. Our OL is great but they love their holding penalties. Killed us against New York to the point where it's almost like a turnover.

We need more big plays, and that starts by feeding Dez.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

"Well we're getting by"

You have to love it when idiots say something outlandish in the hopes of getting attention.
But, he like looked and analyzed, so he has to be on to something.
It's like a cult in here. You actually think Dak is better than Romo?

He's still an inexperienced rookie.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's like a cult in here. You actually think Dak is better than Romo?

He's still an inexperienced rookie.
Thankfully he looks nothing like an inexperienced rookie. And yes I'll trust the analysis of Troy Aikman and the stats Dak is putting up over what some nobody DB from the early 90's 49ers. Cult or not you're in the massive minority among NFL people.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Thankfully he looks nothing like an inexperienced rookie. And yes I'll trust the analysis of Troy Aikman and the stats Dak is putting up over what some nobody DB from the early 90's 49ers. Cult or not you're in the massive minority among NFL people.
NFL people? Seriously who are all these pundits? I don't view Troy as a serious X's and O's analyst, and I feel he was mainly offering up a quick opinion on TV with Dak performing well in front of him vs any objective comparison with Romo.

This "movement" is from people like Colin Cowherd and others who like to stir things up and Cowboys fans who got sick of being held hostage by Romo's health.

Dak has made plays when he has to, but we can do better than just avoids turnovers at QB.

Looking below at Dak vs. Wentz, it's clear that while Dak is above average in many categories, he's rarely making big throws and behind Wentz in most categories. He's made up for it by being efficient in the intermediate throws and making very few turnovers, but which analysts are seriously arguing that that's better for the team?

You hear media guys repeat stuff about "chemistry", but who exactly is it that Dak has all this on-field chemistry with ... besides Cole Beasley? Witten's per game averages are down from 2014 and Dez's are way down. I will say Terrance Williams has improved since 2014 but his numbers are also in line with last season when basically no one was the QB.

Even Beasley's averages are about the same as 2014, besides YPG of course thanks to the huge increase in targets.

Top Bottom