QB Controversy Thread...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So, let me make sure I understand you. They should start Romo so he can get into playing shape so he can be in shape enough to be the backup?
Yes. He will need some game work to get up to speed. Otherwise effectively there is no backup who is reliable.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yes. He will need some game work to get up to speed. Otherwise effectively there is no backup who is reliable.
With all due respect, that's stupid.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What is so funny about that. It is after all a team strategy not a personal contest about quarterbacks.
I have never in all my years of football seen a team start a backup in order to get him ready in case he'd have to come in off the bench to spell someone.

That is downright ridiculous.

Cotton

Staff member
Why because it doesn't fit your preference niche.
Because you don't risk losing games to get a backup in shape. You're smarter than this. Stop.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Because you don't risk losing games to get a backup in shape. You're smarter than this. Stop.
:lol

It's mind-boggling.

Hey, let's take our starter out and start the backup because we need to make sure he's ready if he's going to be the backup.

:crazy

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I have never in all my years of football seen a team start a backup in order to get him ready in case he'd have to come in off the bench to spell someone.

That is downright ridiculous.
Romo is no run of the mill back up. He was the starter and he has been inactive. If you want him fit for competition then he will need some work. Do you believe the coaching adage that if you don't practice you don't play? It's the same principal you are not game ready. If you haven't played for a while you are not game ready.

Cotton

Staff member
Romo is no run of the mill back up. He was the starter and he has been inactive. If you want him fit for competition then he will need some work. Do you believe the coaching adage that if you don't practice you don't play? It's the same principal you are not game ready. If you haven't played for a while you are not game ready.
By this logic the backup QB should always split practice time with the 1's in every practice.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
:lol

It's mind-boggling.

Hey, let's take our starter out and start the backup because we need to make sure he's ready if he's going to be the backup.

:crazy
Pfft. New England and Indianapolis do/did it all the time with Brady and Manning.

Wait. No they didn't

Nevermind.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Romo is no run of the mill back up.
Neither was Bledsoe, but you didn't see Belichick inexplicably take Brady out of the starting lineup in order to get Bledsoe ready to play should he have to come in later on.

NO ONE has ever done this in all the years I've watched professional football.

This is an idea completely out of left field and there is no basis for this approach whatsoever.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Again, Romo is not a run of the mill backup situation. But I have made my position so just hope Dak stays healthy.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Neither was Bledsoe, but you didn't see Belichick inexplicably take Brady out of the starting lineup in order to get Bledsoe ready to play should he have to come in later on.

NO ONE has ever done this in all the years I've watched professional football.

This is an idea completely out of left field and there is no basis for this approach whatsoever.
Nice story but it was what it was. The team now is potentially vulnerable and I am making an opinionated declaration. Dak is fine and things are good as long as he stays upright. I am through.

hstour

Brand New Member
Again, Romo is not a run of the mill backup situation. But I have made my position so just hope Dak stays healthy.
A 4 game lead in the win loss record would give Romo the time to "come up to speed" should he be called upon. You can lose a game while he "knocks off the rust."

And If you have 4th quarter 14 point leads (as they have the last two games) then you can let Romo come in for Dak to do the same.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Nice story but it was what it was. The team now is potentially vulnerable and I am making an opinionated declaration. Dak is fine and things are good as long as he stays upright. I am through.
Again, what are you basing this on, though?

This is not something you see done around the NFL often. Heck, I don't recall EVER seeing an NFL take this approach to their backup QB situation regardless of who that backup was.

So where do you get this idea that this is A) A good thing to do and B) Is necessary when no one else has ever done it or paid for not doing it?

Top Bottom