QB Controversy Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Considering how well we ran in 2014, and at times last year, I don't think the running game will be impacted much without the bootlegs.
I mean it's hard to put an exact statistical number on it. I mean maybe Zeke had 4.7 ypc instead of 5. I guess that's not a massive impact.

The difference you're talking about is that you probably don't have that long run against the 49ers with Zeke as an example.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How is that a good thing in the middle of the year after having success with the current game plan?
This is sort of how I have felt. I think of this roster as sort of a puzzle that has all the pieces fitting together nicely. Dak plays off Zeke, Zeke plays off Dak, which in turn has made our defense look respectable. It's not as simple as just plugging a new QB in and doing all the same stuff. You're now changing the dynamics of the team.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Seems like a bit of an exaggeration. Especially since we have all noted that Romo operates best out of a hurried up offense as well. This is hardly unique to Dak. I'm sure Romo can read a defenses better then Dak at this point but I'd hardly say the 49ers game was some massive indicator of anything. Well except maybe that Dak can't be shaken by falling down 14-0.

Oh and by the way Dak led us down the field on the opening drive. So for a guy who was flummoxed, he had us in position for the field goal on the opening drive. A drive by the way that was stalled by a penalty and not Dak.
No kidding. I didn't see a flummoxed QB during the San Francisco game.

Also, myself and many others have pointed out several times over the years that the Cowboys offense is slow coming out of the gates too often. Was Romo flummoxed during this occasions?

I always just chalked it up to a piss poor game plan by the coaching staff because it seemed like the offense rarely clicked at the start of the game. If you go back and look at stats from those games, more often than not it took the Cowboys until well into the 2nd qtr for them to finally score a TD and start executing with consistency.

Again, I always chalked that up to a poor initial game plan that Romo eventually would rise above and play around.

That said, the point remains that Dak's early game performance against the 49ers was no different than what we've seen from the Romo led Cowboys on several occasions.

townsend

Banned
That's exactly right, which is why there should be no question who the better QB is and therefore who should be starting. You could tell in those first couple drives against SF that Dak was flummoxed. If it weren't for our good coaching we might have lost.

I get that Dak's the future and I get the health issues but apples to apples on the field Romo is the better option this season.
About the coaching. I have to say this is the level of coaching we've been waiting for, for a long time. I'm starting to wonder how much Romo's on the field leadership affected Garrett and Linehan's ability to gameplan. Or maybe things have just clicked for Garrett after a decade of getting to learn on the job.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sure, experience counts for something. So does athletic ability, arm strength, accuracy, intelligence and instincts. You can't just focus in on one thing, Romo has more experience but Dak is stronger then Romo in other areas.
So I have to state the obvious that Romo has skills. ��

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
About the coaching. I have to say this is the level of coaching we've been waiting for, for a long time. I'm starting to wonder how much Romo's on the field leadership affected Garrett and Linehan's ability to gameplan. Or maybe things have just clicked for Garrett after a decade of getting to learn on the job.
I really liked the play-calling in 2010 with Kitna after Romo got hurt, so maybe it's more a function of QB's rolling with what the plays they're given as opposed to Romo who is constantly ad-libbing.

Cotton

Staff member
Maybe without Romo playing, Linehan can finally play his full gameplan without the QB changing it up constantly.

Cotton

Staff member
I really liked the play-calling in 2010 with Kitna after Romo got hurt, so maybe it's more a function of QB's rolling with what the plays they're given as opposed to Romo who is constantly ad-libbing.
I just got timestamped like a mofo.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Our running game is going to work with or without the threat of the read option. I think it definitely helps and makes the offense more difficult to defend but it's not going to make or break us.
Exactly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of Romo hate lately.��
It's not hate at all. I think Romo has been a great QB. Just happens to be that Dak has been a great QB this year. Don't take my advocating for Dak as somehow a slight at what Romo has done.

Genghis Khan

Seems like a bit of an exaggeration. Especially since we have all noted that Romo operates best out of a hurried up offense as well. This is hardly unique to Dak. I'm sure Romo can read a defenses better then Dak at this point but I'd hardly say the 49ers game was some massive indicator of anything. Well except maybe that Dak can't be shaken by falling down 14-0.

Oh and by the way Dak led us down the field on the opening drive. So for a guy who was flummoxed, he had us in position for the field goal on the opening drive. A drive by the way that was stalled by a penalty and not Dak.
I think it was pretty evident Dak was having trouble with what he was seeing in those drives. Not saying he wasn't fighting through it, but he was clearly off.

GB will be interesting because Capers likes to throw wrinkles in there also.

Genghis Khan

Yep and good question.

Genghis Khan

No kidding. I didn't see a flummoxed QB during the San Francisco game.

Also, myself and many others have pointed out several times over the years that the Cowboys offense is slow coming out of the gates too often. Was Romo flummoxed during this occasions?

I always just chalked it up to a piss poor game plan by the coaching staff because it seemed like the offense rarely clicked at the start of the game. If you go back and look at stats from those games, more often than not it took the Cowboys until well into the 2nd qtr for them to finally score a TD and start executing with consistency.

Again, I always chalked that up to a poor initial game plan that Romo eventually would rise above and play around.

That said, the point remains that Dak's early game performance against the 49ers was no different than what we've seen from the Romo led Cowboys on several occasions.
During the first two drives, if you think that he wasn't off a bit I don't know what to tell you other than it was pretty obvious, and to that point as Townsend mentioned the coaches smartly changed to no huddle to combat the issue. That's pretty strong evidence on its own.

Of course Romo and every other QB has been at times. The fact remains however that Romo has tons more experience and is less likely to have these types of issues.

Cotton

Staff member

:lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it was pretty evident Dak was having trouble with what he was seeing in those drives. Not saying he wasn't fighting through it, but he was clearly off.

GB will be interesting because Capers likes to throw wrinkles in there also.
So does Vic Fangio who Dak shredded. We have faced multiple 3 man fronts now, so I don't expect confusion to be an issue.

Top Bottom