QB Controversy Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He he might not throw 20 yard outs like Aikman or toss deep shots like Romo, but his accuracy is creating YAC opportunities and our WRs are responding.
Romo actually wasn't much of a deep ball passer anymore. He takes more shots then Dak but I remember it being a complaint of Romo in 2014 that he couldn't complete deep passes and consistently underthrew them when he tried.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Romo actually wasn't much of a deep ball passer anymore. He takes more shots then Dak but I remember it being a complaint of Romo in 2014 that he couldn't complete deep passes and consistently underthrew them when he tried.
Yea, but this actually started in 2012.

Romo was arguably the most accurate deep ball passer in the league in his prime. His deep ball was amazing and a thing of beauty.

But when we got to 2012, it wasn't hitting guys in stride any longer nor did it have the same velocity. I honestly don't think you'd see a big difference between he and Dak right now at throwing a ball 40-plus yards in the air.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I don't ever remember Romo being a beautiful deep ball thrower. He was a great intermediate down field thrower.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Forget Rookie of the Year, Dak Prescott is in the running for MVP
The Cowboys' rookie quarterback is proving that he's one of the league's best.

By Dieter Kurtenbach
Oct 9, 2016 at 7:45p ET
Tony Romo shouldn’t get his job back.

Not so long as Dak Prescott can put on a Dallas Cowboys jersey.

Things had been trending this way for the first four weeks of the NFL season, in which the Cowboys dropped only one game (in boneheaded fashion) — Prescott was the professional operator, getting the ball where it needed to go with a preternatural awareness and surprising accuracy. He looked nothing like a rookie.

But Sunday’s win over the Cincinnati Bengals cemented it. Romo should be the backup — Prescott is the present and the future of the Cowboys.

It seems ridiculous to not put No. 9 back in once he’s healthy — Romo was an MVP candidate the last time he played a full season.

But Prescott is an MVP candidate right now.

He might even be the leader for the award through five weeks of the season.

Prescott has earned a reputation in the early stage of his NFL career — dink-and-dunk Dak — but that nickname needs to be forgotten. Yes, Prescott likes the underneath routes, but do you know who else does? Tom Brady. That guy loves hitting slanting receivers over the middle in catch-and-run situations.

Over the last three weeks, Prescott has been airing it out more — something he can do now that he’s in full command of the Cowboys’ offense.

Some players (::cough:: Ryan Tannehill ::cough::) never develop the level of understanding Prescott began showing in the Cowboys’ Week 3 win over the Bears. In that game and since, he’s been setting protections at the line and calling audibles based on some high-level assessment of the defense. He’s also shown expert handling of the pass rush — particularly against difficult interior pressure — manipulating the pocket or maneuvering in it to give himself clean looks. This on top of making throws that are surprisingly accurate for anyone who watched him at Mississippi State, tossed with near-perfect timing and pace.

Before Sunday’s game, it was reported that the Bengals had looked at all 131 of Prescott’s throws this season. There wasn’t a bad decision or throw to be found.

To be fair, Romo is one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL when healthy, but for Prescott to be at that level so soon is baffling. Add in Prescott’s ability to change the game with his feet — he has three rushing touchdowns already this year, the most for a Cowboys quarterback since 1983 — and it’s clear that he gives the Cowboys an extra dimension that Romo cannot provide.

It’s difficult to imagine Prescott going back to the bench. There might be a mutiny in Arlington.

No, the Cowboys have to ride this wave for as long as possible.

All signs point to the fact that things are only going to get better for the Cowboys, who already look like one of the NFL’s rare elite teams so far this season. The question-mark defense has figured out what the Seahawks learned when Pete Carroll took over — if you jam, grab, hold, and perhaps even stab every receiver on every play, you normalize pass interference and dare the referees to throw a flag on every play, something they’ll never do. Considering the Cowboys’ deficiencies on the defensive side of the ball, the tactic is genius.

The Cowboys defense can play this way because it trusts that Prescott and the Cowboys offense will control the pace of the game. Again, a reminder: the Cowboys have a rookie quarterback and running back.

But behind one of the best offensive lines in football, the duo is proving to be a perfect pair — Prescott’s emergence as someone who can win a game singlehandedly has forced defenses to abandon base formations (or, in the case of the Bengals on Sunday, stay in them and be picked apart) and that leaves running lanes for Elliott so large you and I could run through them. (Elliott's brilliance comes from the ability to turn a 10-yard gain into a 40-yard chunk.)

Sunday, the Cowboys didn’t have Dez Bryant, their starting left guard or a totally healthy left tackle, and they were going against one of the NFL’s better defenses in recent years.

It was business as usual, though — the Cowboys offense rolled.

Thank Prescott, the man who makes the Cowboys' offensive machine work.

Matt Ryan is having a career year in Atlanta, Carson Wentz has looked strong (save for that final throw against Detroit) in Philadelphia, and Sam Bradford has been a revelation for Minnesota, but you’d be hard-pressed to find a more valuable player in the NFL than Prescott this season.

Forget the Rookie of the Year award — give that to Elliott. Prescott is worthy of the big accolade, and that has the Cowboys on the path for the most important award of them all.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't ever remember Romo being a beautiful deep ball thrower. He was a great intermediate down field thrower.
Then go back and watch his highlights from 2006-2011.

He was amazing at it.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Ome problem with Romo is he zero's in on Dez and Witten while Dak spreads it around to whoever is open.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I get wanting to stick with Dak (I wouldn't but I get it).

But the false narrative some of you are spewing regarding Romo is simply retarded. It's like to justify your stance on Dak you have to tear Romo down, legitimate or not.

Romo didn't spread the ball around? You mean he didn't elevate the production of JAGs like Robinson and Austin? Sorry that's false.

Ultimately this will be settled on the field. Can we stop being retarded about it and be happy we have two very good QBs?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, people are simply fabricating this "Romo forces it to Dez or Witten" thing. Romo was a master at spreading it around, in fact it's one of his best traits as a QB.

But some of these people are now just openly wishing for a Romo injury so that's the type of attitude we are dealing with here. Not your most intellectually honest or trustworthy.

I got to hear that he shouldn't get credit for the Eagles win last year cause Weeden threw a garbage time TD. :lol

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ome problem with Romo is he zero's in on Dez and Witten while Dak spreads it around to whoever is open.
This is exactly the point I made in the gameday thread.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, it's wrong through.
Okay. It's only been bitched about many times on this very board. Completely fabricated, though, since you say so and stuff.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Okay. It's only been bitched about many times on this very board. Completely fabricated, though, since you say so and stuff.
Maybe it's been bitched about by you many times.

Like I said, the far bigger problem has been not getting the ball to Dez enough. It's not "cause I say it" it's how it is. We've seen way too many three and four catch days from Dez Bryant and if you'd like I'll simply link you to PFR and then we can all point and laugh.

Oh wait, you have bitched about that too as long as you can tie it to Garrett. It seem like your current gripe is to pick which one is most convenient for your argument.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Not only on this board but by players as well. Marty B and TO. Although they may not be the best character references the fact that it was brought up does show it was there. I will say that last couple of years he has been better but it was an issue in the past. I bet Garrett put him up to it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, it's wrong through.
I think sometimes Romo does zero in on Witten. But lets not act like it's some massive fault in his game. Hell sometimes Dak zeros in on Beasley, and it ends up with a lot of first downs. I've seen Romo do that with Witten before but it usually end up with Witten having a great game. I guess the connotation is that Romo zeros into guys to the detriment of the team but I wouldn't really say that's true. The only thing Romo really does to the detriment of the team is turn the ball over. Which he has improved tremendously on over his career but he still has some game where it gets ugly.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I get wanting to stick with Dak (I wouldn't but I get it).

But the false narrative some of you are spewing regarding Romo is simply retarded. It's like to justify your stance on Dak you have to tear Romo down, legitimate or not.

Romo didn't spread the ball around? You mean he didn't elevate the production of JAGs like Robinson and Austin? Sorry that's false.

Ultimately this will be settled on the field. Can we stop being retarded about it and be happy we have two very good QBs?
Yea, I've never understood having to make stuff up or exaggerate it to prove a point.

I too want to stick with Dak, but that's because I just don't want to ruin the mojo. I don't think it's so easy as "Put Dak back in if Romo struggles". Dak is going to lose some of that rhythm if he sits for a game, or two, or three.

However, if we are in fact open to the idea of putting Romo back in, then it needs to be done when he's healthy.

Herm Edwards made a good point that I agree with. If you're gonna go with Romo, do it now and not after Dak has a bad game or makes a mistake or you could risk hurting his confidence.

I'd rather we stick with Dak, but if Romo is gonna be the guy, then he needs to be inserted once he's 100% healthy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Maybe it's been bitched about by you many times.

Like I said, the far bigger problem has been not getting the ball to Dez enough. It's not "cause I say it" it's how it is. We've seen way too many three and four catch days from Dez Bryant and if you'd like I'll simply link you to PFR and then we can all point and laugh.

Oh wait, you have bitched about that too as long as you can tie it to Garrett. It seem like your current gripe is to pick which one is most convenient for your argument.
Yup.

The Dez thing has been a problem even with Romo, but I think that's more the staff's fault than any QB's fault.

Romo is great at spreading it around. He does have his moments where he locks onto a guy in certain scenarios, but it isn't this game-long issues where he's constantly forcing it to one guy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Herm Edwards made a good point that I agree with. If you're gonna go with Romo, do it now and not after Dak has a bad game or makes a mistake or you could risk hurting his confidence.

I'd rather we stick with Dak, but if Romo is gonna be the guy, then he needs to be inserted once he's 100% healthy.
I don't know that I agree with that. There are some QBs where I think that would shake his confidence but not really with Dak. He just is a calm and collected guy.

Here is the problem with putting Romo in when 100% healthy instead of waiting until Dak struggles a bit. If you put Romo in while Dak is lighting it up, you're going to have problems at the first sign of struggles by Romo and suddenly the QB carousel begins. Then Dak gets put it and when he struggles then you're tempted to put Romo back in. Or Romo gets hurt and you're waiting for him to get healthy again because you've now set that as the standard.

If you stick with Dak until he struggles then you may never see Romo. And if you do see Romo the argument for throwing Dak back in at the first sign of struggle by Romo sort of goes away. It's a sticky situation either way you look at it but pulling Dak while he is on a hot streak to me is the worst of all the options.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think sometimes Romo does zero in on Witten. But lets not act like it's some massive fault in his game. Hell sometimes Dak zeros in on Beasley, and it ends up with a lot of first downs. I've seen Romo do that with Witten before but it usually end up with Witten having a great game. I guess the connotation is that Romo zeros into guys to the detriment of the team but I wouldn't really say that's true. The only thing Romo really does to the detriment of the team is turn the ball over. Which he has improved tremendously on over his career but he still has some game where it gets ugly.
I'll agree with that.

townsend

Banned
Here's what bugs me most about Romo. He's lost some really vital games, including division title games due to playing injured. I don't think there's been a season since 2011 where his injuries haven't affected the outcome of a game. Most notably in 2014 when Weeden was playing pretty well against the Redskins in relief, Romo was forced back into the field to lose in overtime.

If we hand him back his starting position in a few weeks does he keep it when he inevitably starts getting banged up? Are we going to have a repeat of the 2014 Eagles thanksgiving game where Romo can't play at an NFL level because of the shortened week, or in the 2014 opener where Romo looked like shit because he was shaking the rust off?

Dak may not be able to meet the heights of performance Romo's capable of, but he plays consistent week in and week out. Right now I'd be starting him in front of Aaron Rodgers, because he's playing the kind of football that wins games.

Top Bottom