QB Controversy Thread...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Believe what you will, but I have 108 million reasons that ain't happening.

The offense is limited with Dak. That the team has been protecting and guiding him has been clear. You don't have to do that with Romo.

If Romo does break down or otherwise can't get it done, the worst case scenario is you see Dak again.

There is no downside to playing Romo.
People keep saying this, but it is 100% bullshit. If anything, he adds a dimension with his legs and the read options and designed bootlegs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless he has a horrible game, Dak isn't coming out.

Jerry is already choosing his words differently from before.

Romo can practice all he wants, but he's not being inserted into the starting lineup unless Dak struggles over multiple weeks.
Yeah it's pretty funny really how much Jerry's tune has changed since the beginning of the season when he made it clear Romo would start when he is able to play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Believe what you will, but I have 108 million reasons that ain't happening.
This is one of the biggest myths when it comes to football. You don't save money by playing the 108 million dollar QB. In fact one could argue that you save money by not playing them. So if all things are equal, you go with the cheaper option on the field.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This is one of the biggest myths when it comes to football. You don't save money by playing the 108 million dollar QB. In fact one could argue that you save money by not playing them. So if all things are equal, you go with the cheaper option on the field.
It is 100% true with Jerry Jones proved most recently by Greg Hardy. And you don't save money by not playing the expensive QB as much as you limit your options with the rookie.

This is not New England 2001 where Bledsoe was finally ready to play at the very end of the year.

If that team had Dez, a great OL, and a brilliant rookie RB, Bledsoe would have won his job back. Instead they chose a 2nd year kid who made a lot of small plays and leaned on his outstanding defense.

This defense is not as good as the Pats of 2001.

People keep saying this, but it is 100% bullshit. If anything, he adds a dimension with his legs and the read options and designed bootlegs.
No. You know there is no way he knows the whole offense. And Romo is a better passer I don't care what stats Dak has accumulated in six games.

Romo might not run naked bootlegs but he really doesn't need to as don't most QBs. He still runs plays from the pistol the primary choices being whether to hand off or throw off the fake, two things Romo does very well..

Yes they've spoon fed Dak and he's absorbed everything, but he's not superhuman enough to have learned the nuances of a 14 year veteran.

Cotton

Staff member
No. You know there is no way he knows the whole offense. And Romo is a better passer I don't care what stats Dak has accumulated in six games.

Romo might not run naked bootlegs but he really doesn't need to as don't most QBs. He still runs plays from the pistol the primary choices being whether to hand off or throw off the fake, two things Romo does very well..

Yes they've spoon fed Dak and he's absorbed everything, but he's not superhuman enough to have learned the nuances of a 14 year veteran.
He absolutely does not limit the offense. It's really kinda silly to even insinuate it. Does he run different plays? Sure. Does he do things Tony can't do? Absolutely. Are there throws that Tony can make that Dak can't? I'm not so sure about that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He absolutely does not limit the offense. It's really kinda silly to even insinuate it. Does he run different plays? Sure. Does he do things Tony can't do? Absolutely. Are there throws that Tony can make that Dak can't? I'm not so sure about that.
I guarantee there are things Tony can do that Dak can't right now. It's only common sense, which people don't want to accept right now.

Russell Wilson became a better passer after years. Ben Roethlisberger took even longer. Now both are very, very good. To say Dak is there now after six games is a totally rose-colored view.

Romo was better than either sooner than either. His passing has only improved over the years. It's his health that's killed him.

I get that people are sick of Romo breaking their hearts whether it's his fault or not.

But it's silly to think they've unloaded the playbook for Dak. That really doesn't make sense.

I love his success as much as the next guy, but he's come to the perfect place to play. I know Romo would be fantastic QB'ing this offense.

Cotton

Staff member
I guarantee there are things Tony can do that Dak can't right now.
At this stage of his career and with his injuries, you absolutely cannot guarantee this.

But, regardless, the discussion was about whether Dak limits this offense, and the answer is no, he doesn't.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
At this stage of his career and with his injuries, you absolutely cannot guarantee this.

But, regardless, the discussion was about whether Dak limits this offense, and the answer is no, he doesn't.
That's correct. The coaches have made it very clear the full playbook is at their disposal. Not only that but they have even allowed Dak to adjust the offense at the line of scrimmage like Romo.

Cotton

Staff member
That's correct. The coaches have made it very clear the full playbook is at their disposal. Not only that but they have even allowed Dak to adjust the offense at the line of scrimmage like Romo.
And, as a rookie starting straight out of college, that is unheard of.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is 100% true with Jerry Jones proved most recently by Greg Hardy. And you don't save money by not playing the expensive QB as much as you limit your options with the rookie.

This is not New England 2001 where Bledsoe was finally ready to play at the very end of the year.

If that team had Dez, a great OL, and a brilliant rookie RB, Bledsoe would have won his job back. Instead they chose a 2nd year kid who made a lot of small plays and leaned on his outstanding defense.

This defense is not as good as the Pats of 2001.
Greg Hardy didn't play because of the money he made. In fact benching him would have made sense from a financial perspective to prevent him from hitting incentives. We played him because he was the most talented DE on the roster.

Playing Dak makes it possible to move on from Romo after this season. Thus saving the Cowboys a small fortune in money still left to be paid on his contract. There is no monetary incentive to push Romo back on the field. So yeah, the 108 million has nothing to do with it. Just like the massive contract Bledsoe signed back in the day didn't have any impact either.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Playing Dak makes it possible to move on from Romo after this season.
But it doesn't change the fact that they are paying Tony a ton of money this year. Jones always backs his big contracts. Always.

And they can move on from Romo whether they play him or not. Ask Brett Favre.

Romo's health is no excuse. If he can't play then you bench him and move on to Dak permanently, but there is no rush to move on to Dak.

No matter what you can't convince me that Dak after six games is a superior passer than Romo.

If anything Daks performance makes me more excited to see what Romo could do with the best supporting cast he's ever had in Dallas.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Why not? People have been 'gauranteeing' that if/when Romo returns, he won't last more than a game or two because of injuries.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
But it doesn't change the fact that they are paying Tony a ton of money this year. Jones always backs his big contracts. Always.
So you are saying what?

He is a Lannister?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
But it doesn't change the fact that they are paying Tony a ton of money this year. Jones always backs his big contracts. .
Bledsoe was making a hell of a lot more money than Romo when he got benched. Just isn't true.

townsend

Banned
His bone was healed weeks ago as well. I think you'd have to be pretty naive to think that Daks success doesn't have anything to do with Romo's coming back being pushed back every single week.
I feel like he would still be out for Philly, even if Kellen Moore had been starting. Both last year and 2010 they were very optimistic about him returning from season ending injuries. They consistently over promise and under deliver when it comes to recovery timelines. Hell it took them a few days to even admit Romo would be missing significant time this year.

That being said they won't be inserting him back into the lineup too soon thanks to Dak.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
There are probably about 28 teams in the NFL that would love to have this "limited" offense.

Statistically speaking, Dak has the Cowboys offense ranked near the top of most of the key offensive categories. So I'm not seeing these "limitations" that many people keep pointing out.

Are there some things that Romo can do that Dak can't? Absolutely.

But there are also things that Dak brings to the table that Romo can't do. So does that mean the offense is limited with Romo or does it only work the other way around? Just curious.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel like he would still be out for Philly, even if Kellen Moore had been starting. Both last year and 2010 they were very optimistic about him returning from season ending injuries. They consistently over promise and under deliver when it comes to recovery timelines. Hell it took them a few days to even admit Romo would be missing significant time this year.

That being said they won't be inserting him back into the lineup too soon thanks to Dak.
I think he would have been playing in the Philly/Cleveland area. Not that he should have but without Dak I think we rush Romo back to the field.

townsend

Banned
I think he would have been playing in the Philly/Cleveland area. Not that he should have but without Dak I think we rush Romo back to the field.
I agree with that. I just don't believe Romo's even healthy enough to rush back on the field yet.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree with that. I just don't believe Romo's even healthy enough to rush back on the field yet.
It depends what you mean by healthy. I think right now his body is physically healthy. I just don't think he is in playing condition though. And any player who plays but isn't in playing condition is at serious risk of injury.

Cotton

Staff member
Why not? People have been 'gauranteeing' that if/when Romo returns, he won't last more than a game or two because of injuries.
Has nothing to do with what I said.

Top Bottom