Our pick is up and...

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
The Rams only got a second for moving down 8 spots but now we expect to get a 2nd and next years 1st for moving down 3 spots?
The Rams had already gotten a king's ransom from the skins, that's why they offered that pick for "peanuts" and why Teh Jerruh jumped on it and picked a guy they had not done any due diligence on...

The only problem is with Kelly in and Kaep still there I don't think they are that desperate. Rams might though, but then we'd probably lose out on Zeke...

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
The Rams had already gotten a king's ransom from the skins, that's why they offered that pick for "peanuts" and why Teh Jerruh jumped on it and picked a guy they had not done any due diligence on...

The only problem is with Kelly in and Kaep still there I don't think they are that desperate. Rams might though, but then we'd probably lose out on Zeke...
I don't think we'd lose out on Elliott if we traded down to 15. I don't see the Bears or Giants taking him.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think we'd lose out on Elliott if we traded down to 15. I don't see the Bears or Giants taking him.
People are way too paranoid about losing out on Ellioton this board. First of all if we did I probably would say WGAS. I don't think he is on the Cowboys radar anyway. And honestly he should be drafted somewhere in the 15-25 range because that is his skill level.

I don't really want to trade all the way down to 15 though unless we are getting a kings ransom in return. I think it removes us from some of the Dlineman and LBer I like by going down that far.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think Elliot is anywhere near our radar. But regardless, you never should trade down with one target in mind anyway. That's like playing Russian roulette.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think Elliot is anywhere near our radar. But regardless, you never should trade down with one target in mind anyway. That's like playing Russian roulette.
Agreed, you have to let a draft come to you. Zoning in on one guy is a huge mistake. It's what leads to teams taking a guy like Elliot at 4 when he belongs closer to 20.

The NFL just doesn't value RBs either. Look at the top 5 rushers from last year. McFadden is basically an after thought. Doug Martin's own team is making a minimal effort to keep him. Chris Ivory is also a free agent whose team doesn't really care about him. The franchise tag for RBs is actually dropping as the cap increases.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
Agreed, you have to let a draft come to you. Zoning in on one guy is a huge mistake. It's what leads to teams taking a guy like Elliot at 4 when he belongs closer to 20.

The NFL just doesn't value RBs either. Look at the top 5 rushers from last year. McFadden is basically an after thought. Doug Martin's own team is making a minimal effort to keep him. Chris Ivory is also a free agent whose team doesn't really care about him. The franchise tag for RBs is actually dropping as the cap increases.
I hate the idea of taking a RB in the first. Melvin Gordon's performance scares the living crap out of me. I'd be really happy signing a proven FA since the runningback market is so depressed, allowing us to use the 1st and 2nd round picks at other positions where the FA market is much more expensive

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hate the idea of taking a RB in the first. Melvin Gordon's performance scares the living crap out of me. I'd be really happy signing a proven FA since the runningback market is so depressed, allowing us to use the 1st and 2nd round picks at other positions where the FA market is much more expensive
To be fair if Melvin Gordon played in Dallas he would have probably gone over 1000 yards and averaged 4.5 per carry. People would probably be viewing him as a stud. So is he a stud stuck on a bad team? Or would he have been an average back benefiting from a stud offensive line?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The comparison between Gordon and Elliott is mind blowing. Elliott was better than him last year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Trading down from four just for value's sake is simply dumb.

Take your guy. Screw popular opinion and the "value".

Whatever it is. Getting cute is not going to work out well.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
The comparison between Gordon and Elliott is mind blowing. Elliott was better than him last year.
Perhaps, but Gordon was a successful college RB and a 1st round pick, without elite measurables (like Elliot). The Gurleys are a once in a ten year phenomenon. I hate drafting a RB in the first

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Perhaps, but Gordon was a successful college RB and a 1st round pick, without elite measurables (like Elliot). The Gurleys are a once in a ten year phenomenon. I hate drafting a RB in the first
I think Elliott is closer to Gurley than he is Gordon.

Elliott's appeal is his all around game. He can catch and especially pass block at an NFL right now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both Big Ten backs. I really liked Gordon at Wisconsin. Looked like a beast to me. Elliot may be better but he isn't Gurley level either.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Both Big Ten backs. I really liked Gordon at Wisconsin. Looked like a beast to me. Elliot may be better but he isn't Gurley level either.
Just because both players came out of the B1G doesn't mean that they'll have similar careers. If that was the case, then Marshawn Lynch should've been a bust because Reggie Bush was. Elliott and Gordon are two completely players with totally different styles. Plus, Wisconsin's offense is based around a specific running scheme. Any RB will play well in that system. They don't need to be overly talented. As a B1G guy, have you ever seen me express any interest in a Wisconsin RB? The answer is no, and there's a really good reason for it. Yet, I think Elliott has the chance to be an elite level RB almost immediately due to his overall skill set and how advanced it is at this stage of his career.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just because both players came out of the B1G doesn't mean that they'll have similar careers. If that was the case, then Marshawn Lynch should've been a bust because Reggie Bush was. Elliott and Gordon are two completely players with totally different styles. Plus, Wisconsin's offense is based around a specific running scheme. Any RB will play well in that system. They don't need to be overly talented. As a B1G guy, have you ever seen me express any interest in a Wisconsin RB? The answer is no, and there's a really good reason for it. Yet, I think Elliott has the chance to be an elite level RB almost immediately due to his overall skill set and how advanced it is at this stage of his career.
Every Ohio State back looks good too. The Big Ten tends to make RBs look faster then they are. And I'm a Big Ten fan.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Every Ohio State back looks good too. The Big Ten tends to make RBs look faster then they are. And I'm a Big Ten fan.
I can't think of an Ohio State RB worthy of a high pick in at least a decade. Maurice Clarett was the last really good RB that program has had.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't think of an Ohio State RB worthy of a high pick in at least a decade. Maurice Clarett was the last really good RB that program has had.
Bennie Wells was a first rounder. Carlos Hyde was a second round pick just 2 years ago. Has been a bust.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
Ohio State has a very specific running scheme and most of Elliots runs were straight line runs, through big holes.

He has shown the ability to break tackles but has he shown the ability to run in a zone blocking scheme, is a one cut guy?

Gordon played in a more pro offense with traditional blocking schemes, Elliot in a spread offense.

I think Elliot can be a very good back but there are legitimate questions about does his running style fit a zone scheme.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Bennie Wells was a first rounder. Carlos Hyde was a second round pick just 2 years ago. Has been a bust.
I never considered either of them to be major talents. Beanie Wells was well known for being injury prone and lazy, and Hyde was always fat and slow. That's why I only mentioned Clarett. I said a player who was worthy of a high pick. Neither Wells nor Hyde were.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
But that was before Urban Meyer. His recruits are just now entering the league.

Jiggyfly

Banned
After doing some in depth reviewing of Elliot over the weekend, I have to change my opinion a bit.

He is not as straight line as I thought and it seems that Ohio State runs a zone blocking scheme so the fit would be fine.

Now the holes he had to run through were huge but he still had to read and one cut which was biggest question.

With that said I still do not want him at 4.

Top Bottom