Mel Kiper Conference Call

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Mel Kiper Conference Call

By Walter Cherepinsky - @walterfootball
March 13, 2014

If you missed the ton of tweets regarding Mel Kiper Jr.'s conference call Thursday morning, here are some of the important things he had to say regarding the 2014 NFL Draft:

• I could see [Jadeveon Clowney] in Houston; could be in that No. 2 spot if other teams (Atlanta) move up; Jacksonville at No. 3 would be a nice spot.

• Greg Robinson will grade out as the top player on some teams' draft boards.

• Johnny Manziel could go as high as No. 3.

• Odell Beckham remains a nice fit for the Chiefs at No. 23. But, he could also be a fit for the Jets at No. 18.

• Giants certainly could use an Eric Ebron. If he doesn't go No. 12, he could fall to No. 17.

• Carlos Hyde will be the first running back drafted this year, but I see him going in the second round; not first.

• Eric Ebron: "He's a threat a great, great receiving entity."

• Kony Early: Late first, early second round.

• Demarcus Lawrence: Third-round player.

• Anthony Barr would make sense for the Lions at No. 10 if he's there.

• Tajh Boyd: Round 4-7 pick.

• Sammy Watkins goes No. 4, No. 5 or No. 7, depending where the quarterbacks land.

• Brandon Coleman: Early Day-3 pick.

• Jake Matthews had trouble with the quick guys, but still like him. Would go Robinson, Matthews, then Lewan.

• If the Browns don't take a quarterback at No. 4, Derek Carr, A.J. McCarron or Jimmy Garoppolo could be in play at No. 26 or in the second round.

• Kyle Van Noy is a third-rounder as a versatile linebacker, and Cody Hoffman is an early Day-3 pick.

• The Browns have to draft a quarterback. It doesn't have to be at No. 4. Must get better at quarteback to get out of cellar.

• Lions should still be in play for Mike Evans, but a tight end or a cornerback is possible if they're ranked that highly.

• Michael Sam is now a sixth- or seventh-round guy.

• Kendall James of Maine, eighth-rated cornerback. The biggest sleeper cornerback in the draft.

• HaHa Clinton-Dix and Calvin Pryor are both first-rounders, but Pryor is a fringe for the first. Deone Bucannon drops to the third round.

• Jace Amaro is a Round 2 or 3 pick.

• Walt Aikens really helped himself at the Senior Bowl and is in the third- or fourth-round range.

• Jimmie Ward and Terrence Brooks from Florida State as second-round safety options for Falcons.
• Even with Eric Decker, the Jets could choose a wide receiver in the first round.

• Top 10 is a little high for HaHa Clinton-Dix, who is more in the No. 15-24 range of the first round.

• Barr will go anywhere between No. 10-20 in first round.

• Browns and Falcons could be active on trades during the 2014 NFL Draft.

• Teams could be on the move for left tackles, wide receivers or a player like Eric Ebron.

• Don't think a guard goes in the first round. David Yankey as the first guard.

• Eric Fisher would be the fourth offensive tackle taken this year behind Matthews, Lewan and Robinson.

• Cyril Richardson has dropped into the fourth-round mix.

• Zach Martin of Notre Dame could be in the mix for Pittsburgh in the first round because of his versatility.

• An interesting pick for Dallas is Anthony Barr. He'd be the only pass-rusher in play for Dallas at No. 16.

• Five guards go in the second or early third, with Nevada's Joel Bitonio among them.

• Brandon Thomas is in that second-round mix.

• Most underrated running back in the draft this year is Terrance West.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
• Eric Fisher would be the fourth offensive tackle taken this year behind Matthews, Lewan and Robinson.
Wow... so the first overall pick last year would be behind guys slated to go in the teens this year (Lewan).

This draft is so much stronger than last year's.

• Cyril Richardson has dropped into the fourth-round mix.
I'd take him in the third, or after a trade down in the third, no problem.

• An interesting pick for Dallas is Anthony Barr. He'd be the only pass-rusher in play for Dallas at No. 16.
Interesting, he's really more of a LB in a 4-3, though, no? You could trade down and target Ealy or Ford.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wow... so the first overall pick last year would be behind guys slated to go in the teens this year (Lewan).

This draft is so much stronger than last year's.
The way a lot of people are talking, yes it is one of the deepest all around in a decade, even longer.

I'd take him in the third, or after a trade down in the third, no problem.
Don't like the player. Donald whipped his ass and Baylor has a rough history with translating their OL to the NFL. Two huge busts in recent years.

Interesting, he's really more of a LB in a 4-3, though, no? You could trade down and target Ealy or Ford.
I would take Barr over those two immediately. Just bulk his ass up. He's not a lot smaller than Ford (who is a certified imbecile) and well, Ealy is incredibly overrated.

What I like to do is pay attention to where a player is "ranked" in January and then later. Barr was consider a lock stock top 20, even up to top 10 when they were actually playing games. Since then, his "stock" has been "slipping". But why is my question.

When I see that there is no real reason that a player is downgraded, and I can't find anything on Barr, I think his "stock" is being manipulated through the draftnik/media communities.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Also, Barr's measurables are outstanding and Ford didn't do all the drills.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Barr would be outstanding with us. He's one of my favorite players in the entire draft.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member
i love anthony barr, but i dont think we are in any position to take an OLB in round 1. If he can be our every down DE, then fine. But i'm not so sure as he struggles pretty heavily against the run

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think Barr's best fit in a 4-3 would be strongside OLB in base packages with his hand down in pass-rushing situations, I'd take him at 16 and figure out what to do with him one way or the other.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think Barr's best fit in a 4-3 would be strongside OLB in base packages with his hand down in pass-rushing situations, I'd take him at 16 and figure out what to do with him one way or the other.
I don't think Marinelli is that creative. Either bulk him up to play DE or nothing at all. SOLB in his scheme is an afterthought.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think Marinelli is that creative. Either bulk him up to play DE or nothing at all. SOLB in his scheme is an afterthought.
Jerry has said as much this offseason, and it's probably because they're a couple of old fucks who are still living in 1994.

Just let Barr play the Von Miller role, it's not that difficult.

Top Bottom