Schefter: Cowboys Releasing Orton

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Doesn't matter.

The professional thing to do is retire, if you want to retire.

This is a business. And Jones being spiteful would have served the team better than him being a nice guy.
This is exactly right. The reason why Orton wasn't retiring was because he was making a business decision with regards to what is best for him. Dallas not cutting him would have been the exact same thing.

I don't think there is any truth to Orton wanting to continue playing. I've been reading for way to long reports about him wanting to retire.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
This is exactly right. The reason why Orton wasn't retiring was because he was making a business decision with regards to what is best for him. Dallas not cutting him would have been the exact same thing.

I don't think there is any truth to Orton wanting to continue playing. I've been reading for way to long reports about him wanting to retire.
so why didn't he?

maybe doing well against the Eagles put the thought in his head that he can start again. can't do that in Dallas, so pout until the team releases you.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
so why didn't he?

maybe doing well against the Eagles put the thought in his head that he can start again. can't do that in Dallas, so pout until the team releases you.
Or 3 million other reasons.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Initial reports were he threw a wing ding at his season end exit interview.

I have no idea what to believe. But if you go at what has been suggested, he flaked out and we kept on with the idea that he might change his mind.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It is just a shame that a player could just decide not to play, but face very little in repercussions. Not sure why our stance changed at this point, but we should have waited it out or force him onto the did not report or retirement list. Unclear on what we could have done, but it chaps my ass he just gets his money by not showing up.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
This is just Jerry being a great GM cuz he like doesn't want the distraction. [/homer]
He could have done this months ago if that was the case. At least we won't have the guy faking an injury to screw the team out of his base salary too.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
At the least I would have done what booze suggested and this was to make him show up and go through all the paces while at the same time parading him to the public view that he is a quitter and a dishonest employee. Make the bonus money at least portray him for what he is. A common ordinary no scruples thief.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
so why didn't he?

I don't think he did well against the Eagles, and in retrospect, it was probably a sign of a guy whose heart just wasn't in it.

If that's what we could expect fron Orton, good riddance. We're better off with Weeden, who at least is cheap.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I'm tired of having losers on the roster who don't want to be here.
How would you like working for the league's biggest retard owner? A guy firmly rooted and committed to MEDIOCRITY.

Would you really want to be in Dallas cause you think it's some fantastic franchise? Seriously?

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
How would you like working for the league's biggest retard owner? A guy firmly rooted and committed to MEDIOCRITY.

Would you really want to be in Dallas cause you think it's some fantastic franchise? Seriously?
That's easy to say. But if these players are so noble and committed to winning as you're implying here, why would they sign here in the first place? The money maybe? Ohhh... Ok.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Free agents see Dallas as a place where the owner just gives money away.

Orton knew Jerry had a history of paying for nothing, and it's happened again.

p1_

DCC 4Life
That's easy to say. But if these players are so noble and committed to winning as you're implying here, why would they sign here in the first place? The money maybe? Ohhh... Ok.
I think there's portion of the roster that's simply here for the paycheck and don't think the organization is worth a shit.

And I cant say I blame them.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

So it's Jones fault that the larceny comes out in a few players. If players view owners this way why doesn't every player under contact just take the money and not play. You really cannot blame the devious practices of some on an owner. They put out the money in good faith and expect the players to live up to their side of the commitment. That is a reasonable expectation. For all the faults Jones may have this cannot be laid off on him. People are either ethical or dishonest. Sometimes a person will sell their integrity for a few bucks.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think there's portion of the roster that's simply here for the paycheck and don't think the organization is worth a shit.

And I cant say I blame them.
Then don't be a damn thief and take the money.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

How'd you lak them 3 supabowls? Huh? How'd ya lak'em?

~smile~

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
So it's Jones fault that the larceny comes out in a few players. If players view owners this way why doesn't every player under contact just take the money and not play. You really cannot blame the devious practices of some on an owner. They put out the money in good faith and expect the players to live up to their side of the commitment. That is a reasonable expectation. For all the faults Jones may have this cannot be laid off on him. People are either ethical or dishonest. Sometimes a person will sell their integrity for a few bucks.

I agree up to a point. If you don't do something it will continue to happen.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I agree up to a point. If you don't do something it will continue to happen.
I agree Jones needs to take a harder stance against these types and I don't know why he doesn't but the fact remains that the player who looks for ways to screw the owner is the primary culprit.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I didn't say it was Jones fault, but everyone saw Ratliff bend him over the barrel and Spencer got paid elite money while being hurt.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I didn't say it was Jones fault, but everyone saw Ratliff bend him over the barrel and Spencer got paid elite money while being hurt.
True but that shouldn't serve as an invitation to a person with integrity. It apparently draws out the dishonesty in some. Jones is soft handed with players and some appreciate it while others expose their true nature. Those are the ones that need to be taken behind the barn and thrashed.

Top Bottom