Must See Movies

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Killing Joke is on HBO Go. I have heard some mixed reviews, but I know the comic was excellent. I was never an avid comic guy, but I read a few that Nolan referenced as influences on his trilogy.

D

Deuce

The Killing Joke is on HBO Go. I have heard some mixed reviews, but I know the comic was excellent. I was never an avid comic guy, but I read a few that Nolan referenced as influences on his trilogy.
I watched it a while back and while I understand why they had to mix it with another story to make it long enough to do a movie, I didn't like the story they chose for the first half.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Star Wars: Rogue One

I'm not a Star Wars super fan but I thought it was a solid flick. The ending tied together nicely with the beginning of the original Star Wars.

I like that the heroes died at the end. I thought it was a nice twist from the usual where the protagonist(s) usually survive and return as a conquering hero.

The good guys shouldn't always come home alive. That adds to the realism, IMO. Although I do have to dock them points for stealing that "impending death on the beach" scene from the end of Deep Impact.

D

Deuce

Star Wars: Rogue One

I'm not a Star Wars super fan but I thought it was a solid flick. The ending tied together nicely with the beginning of the original Star Wars.

I like that the heroes died at the end. I thought it was a nice twist from the usual where the protagonist(s) usually survive and return as a conquering hero.

The good guys shouldn't always come home alive. That adds to the realism, IMO. Although I do have to dock them points for stealing that "impending death on the beach" scene from the end of Deep Impact.
I agree with you.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Black Sea is a nice little flick on HBO. Jude Law is solid and submarine flicks are always interesting to me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Watched Rogue One tonight. Not bad. Best SW flick since the original three IMO.

Just one thing.

So Darth Vader just kicks ass, force blasts and chokes a bunch of guys on the Rebel ship and then when Episode IV starts, he suddenly just resorts to physically choking a rebel guy. Must have taken a lot out of him.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Other People is a movie on Netflix...I highly recommend it.

The subject matter is losing a loved one to cancer, but it is well acted and well done.

Has a great cast led by Jesse Plemons (Breaking Bad & Fargo).

Hit home for me.
Am I gonna wanta jump off a bridge after watching this one?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Am I gonna wanta jump off a bridge after watching this one?
It's a story about how a particular family deals with a terminal family member. It's a California family and that makes it slightly off center.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
So the wife, daughter and I saw Rogue One yesterday. I really liked it and so did the daughter. The wife didn't like the ending so hated the movie. . Thumbs up.

junk

Not So New Member
Rogue One

Good flick.....but, on Jedha, they can grab a ship and get out in front of the shock wave, but on Scarif they stagger all the way down from that huge tower to the beach and can't find a fucking ship somewhere to take off on?

Kind of thought Jyn might make it and end up being Rey's grandma or something

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Rogue One

Good flick.....but, on Jedha, they can grab a ship and get out in front of the shock wave, but on Scarif they stagger all the way down from that huge tower to the beach and can't find a fucking ship somewhere to take off on?

Kind of thought Jyn might make it and end up being Rey's grandma or something
Nah, She's Luke and Mara Jade's baby girl!

1bigfan13

Staff member
Watching Die Hard earlier today reminded me of something that I've always wondered.

McLane killed a good number of terrorists and had time to search several of the dead bodies. Yet not once did he try to remove a pair of shoes from one of the bodies. Instead he chose to run around barefoot all damn night.

D

Deuce

Watching Die Hard earlier today reminded me of something that I've always wondered.

McLane killed a good number of terrorists and had time to search several of the dead bodies. Yet not once did he try to remove a pair of shoes from one of the bodies. Instead he chose to run around barefoot all damn night.
Europeans historically have small feet?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

He was in stealth mode.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member

It has been a while since I have seen Die Hard but I am pretty sure he does try to take one of the terrorist's shoes. Maybe the guy from the stairwell who he got the machine gun & cigarettes off of. I think it shows McClane trying them on but they were too small and he made some sort of comment along the lines of 'the only terrorist with feet smaller than my sisters'. I don't remember the exact details of the scene but I am almost sure it went something like that.

1bigfan13

Staff member
It has been a while since I have seen Die Hard but I am pretty sure he does try to take one of the terrorist's shoes. Maybe the guy from the stairwell who he got the machine gun & cigarettes off of. I think it shows McClane trying them on but they were too small and he made some sort of comment along the lines of 'the only terrorist with feet smaller than my sisters'. I don't remember the exact details of the scene but I am almost sure it went something like that.
You're right. I forgot about that scene.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Finally saw Rogue One last night. Really liked it.

It finally answered a 39 year old question. Why did the biggest, baddest weapon ever built have such a fatal flaw? One where a single fighter with a well placed shot could set off a chain reaction that would bring the whole thing down. Well, now we know. It was done on purpose. And makes a lot more sense that a disgruntled engineer that was designing the D.S. and a defecting Imperial pilot were the reason why the Rebels knew the weakness. Not just that they "found a weakness" as we were originally told.

Also, that scene where Vader steps out of the darkness and goes apeshit on a hallway full of rebels brought out the 10 year old kid that loved Star Wars in me again. Pure awesomeness by the greatest movie villain of all time.

One thing that bugs me though... In the original Star Wars, when the Death Star fired on Alderaan, the entire planet exploded immediately. In this movie, when it hit it only causes a massive explosion that generates outward. I realize it made for more excitement with the escape in the first one, and more drama with the impending doom for the heroes in the second, but I didn't like that difference.

Top Bottom