Week 8 Gameday Chatter | Eagles vs. Cowboys | 10/30/2016

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dez was very very good last night.
I was just glad to see the explosion and leaping ability back with him. The ability is still there, now we need to figure out how to use him without totally abandoning everything else that was working so well.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think Wentz is a good QB but none of Wentz's throws were difficult at all today. He didn't make any throws that made you go, wow, this guy is special.
Wentz is fully capable of throwing deep. He has the arm, accuracy, and smarts. For some reason, his coaching staff is calling an offense predicated on all that short stuff. Maybe its because they're afraid of turning a rookie loose, maybe it's because they don't trust their shit stable of receivers. Who knows? But it's not because Wentz can't do it.

I watched him drop dimes down field over the last few years at NDSU. I'm not looking forward to the day when the Eagles coaches decide to let him do it in Philly.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Just dawned on me, we have the best record in the NFC, and only a half game behind best in the NFL. :towel
We are the best team in the NFC.

That's not homering out or anything like that. It's just a simply fact.

Of all the NFC top teams, we are by far the most balanced. If we play our best football, it is better than everyone else's.

Minnesota has a great defense but a decent at best offense that has to work just to get to 20 points.

Atlanta has an elite offense but a crap defense. And at the end of the day, they're still Atlanta.

Seattle has the pedigree and experience, but the offense just isn't very good and there is something off with them right now.

Philly? Let's see how far they go with an offensive design that looks like something I'd expect an 8th grade team to run.

Then that brings us to the Cowboys. The defense isn't great, but it's not bad either. It's a decent unit that has helped us win games. We have an excellent offense that can move the ball against anyone.

There's a long way to go and all kinds of stuff can happen between now and January, but as of right now, the Cowboys are definitely the NFC's best team.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Wentz is fully capable of throwing deep. He has the arm, accuracy, and smarts. For some reason, his coaching staff is calling an offense predicated on all that short stuff. Maybe its because they're afraid of turning a rookie loose, maybe it's because they don't trust their shit stable of receivers. Who knows? But it's not because Wentz can't do it.

I watched him drop dimes down field over the last few years at NDSU. I'm not looking forward to the day when the Eagles coaches decide to let him do it in Philly.
Yea, I think it's combination of Wentz not quite being ready to carry the offense on his shoulders and those receivers being crap.

He's a good QB and he's only going to get better. But right now, his play just isn't on the level of Dak's because he's throwing all of these safe passes and not being asked to risk much.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Don't forget the horrid play calling when we were driving at the end of the half. All the fucking passing near the goal line with 1:30 left.
Yea exactly, that's what led to the Prescott INT. Fade to Dez on 1st down, come back and pass it again on 2nd?

Give me a break.

Ok, we pass it on 1st, I get trying to be aggressive, but passing it on 2nd right after that when the Eagles are clearly trying to conserve time?

Fuck that.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Part of this is just the offensive system the Eagles/Chiefs run. It's a lot of short stuff with the occasional long pass. Wentz has a lot of arm talent, I'm sure he has the ability to throw down field.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think it used to be his identity. He seems to have a different identity of late.
I think he still has the same moves. His style doesn't require speed as much as vision and quickness. Once he gets his conditioning up to speed he should be about the same. Of course we will not know until such time as he actually plays.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Part of it is he struggles to read defenses and go through 2, 3 and 4 reads.

Their shit WR's and mediocre OL is part of it too for sure, but I also don't think they totally trust him to make 2, 3, and 4 reads, and then make throws 20+ yards downfield. He can definitely throw deep although alot of what he did at NDSU deep was just taking advantage of 1 on 1 and taking a shot.

The Reid/KC offense that Pederson comes from is predicated on the short passing game too.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
We are the best team in the NFC.

That's not homering out or anything like that. It's just a simply fact.

Of all the NFC top teams, we are by far the most balanced. If we play our best football, it is better than everyone else's.

Minnesota has a great defense but a decent at best offense that has to work just to get to 20 points.

Atlanta has an elite offense but a crap defense. And at the end of the day, they're still Atlanta.

Seattle has the pedigree and experience, but the offense just isn't very good and there is something off with them right now.

Philly? Let's see how far they go with an offensive design that looks like something I'd expect an 8th grade team to run.

Then that brings us to the Cowboys. The defense isn't great, but it's not bad either. It's a decent unit that has helped us win games. We have an excellent offense that can move the ball against anyone.

There's a long way to go and all kinds of stuff can happen between now and January, but as of right now, the Cowboys are definitely the NFC's best team.
Yeah, I would have to agree with you.

Cotton

Staff member
I think he still has the same moves. His style doesn't require speed as much as vision and quickness. Once he gets his conditioning up to speed he should be about the same. Of course we will not know until such time as he actually plays.
Hopefully, this year at least, we don't get that opportunity.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No but he won't be running a QB sneak on 4th and 1 with the game on the line. Even if he could we wouldn't risk it with his back.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Dak needs to spend extra time working with Dez in practice because it's clear that he doesn't have a feel for how to throw him the ball, especially down in the red zone.

Every attempt he's made to get the ball to Dez in the red zone has been a poor effort that didn't give Dez much a chance to make a play.

Even the TD he did complete yesterday was a bit off. That ball needed to be up and toward the back shoulder to Dez, instead it was low and behind.....Dez just made a great catch.

Whether it's high, low, behind, too soft, etc., Dak has shown multiple times that he does not have a good feel for how to throw the ball to Dez. I'm sure it's something that can easily be corrected, but it's clear that it's something they need to work on together.
The throw he missed to Dez on the post route was the worst and should have won the game in regulation.

I don't know what happened there but it was a terrible throw and Dez was wide open.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Part of it is he struggles to read defenses and go through 2, 3 and 4 reads.

Their shit WR's and mediocre OL is part of it too for sure, but I also don't think they totally trust him to make 2, 3, and 4 reads, and then make throws 20+ yards downfield. He can definitely throw deep although alot of what he did at NDSU deep was just taking advantage of 1 on 1 and taking a shot.
Yeah, I don't agree with your scouting of Wentz and NDSU.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Did you guys see the dildo thrown on the field during the Pats/Bills game?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I don't agree with your scouting of Wentz and NDSU.
That's great, but why do you think the Eagles give him so many simple reads, WR screens and such? Why does he get the ball out of his hands so quick and usually on his first or second read?

I said he wasn't great at going through progressions before the draft and the way the Eagles use him hints at that.

You know I loved him coming out though, he just has areas where he has to improve.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The throw he missed to Dez on the post route was the worst and should have won the game in regulation.

I don't know what happened there but it was a terrible throw and Dez was wide open.
Again, Dak doesn't seem to have much of an idea of what Dez is going to do on his routes.

He throws behind him, he throws low, he throws high, he underthrows him, he overthrows him, etc.

It really is a little bit of everything and as a result, he missed Dez a handful of times last night.

The play before the INT, that ball was way too high and didn't give Dez a chance to make a real play on it. Then you had the play in the endzone where Dez was way underthrown, and I don't know if he was expecting Dez to just stop and turn around, but he should've thrown him a soft touch pass over the shoulder for an easy score.

And finally we have the play you mentioned. Dez had his guy beat by a mile and Dak throws it straight up the field as if he expects Dez to continue on in a straight line. If he leads Dez across the field on that post, it's a game winning deep ball.

So you're seeing him miss Dez in every way possible and that can only mean that he doesn't have a feel at all for what Dez is going to do. For us to maximize our potential on offense this year, those two will need to get that worked out.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

He missed alot of throws, that one in the red zone where Williams ran a pick for Bryant was particularly bad. Bryant had about 5 yards of wide open space towards the pylon and Prescott threw it into the trailing DB's back.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Seems obvious to me that Dak is more comfortable when he utilizes Beasley as one of his primary targets. The last drive was classic Dak throwing to people in his comfort zone. He hasn't got the timing and distance with Bryant and Williams in the intermediate distances. His success with Dez was on vertical patterns. This is pretty clear in the 4th quarter and the OT.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

Top Bottom