Texas Ace

Teh Acester

:cry
:laff

What a fucking crybaby he is.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
According to Schefter, Zimmer is getting Norv as his OC.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
:laff

What a fucking crybaby he is.
True, but he honestly SHOULD be a DC somewhere. He's one of the better ones in the league. The Eagles for instance run a 3-4 and would get a huge upgrade replacing Davis with Wade. Cleveland would make sense too.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't want Wade on my coaching staff, period.

Guy's a loser and excuse maker. He may be a good Xs and Os guy, but he's a net negative. The fact that the last 2 teams he was associated with collapsed in a short amount of time show how poorly he coaches and how little his stellar Xs and Os mean.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
True, but he honestly SHOULD be a DC somewhere. He's one of the better ones in the league. The Eagles for instance run a 3-4 and would get a huge upgrade replacing Davis with Wade. Cleveland would make sense too.
He's a quality coach, but I'm not surprised that he doesn't have a job.

You see, he's not a Dick LeBeau or a Norv Turner type - guys who have proven that they can sustain long term success as coordinators.

Wade is great as a quick fix, but once he gets figured out, he has no response.

Just like in Dallas, by year 3 in Houston, his defense couldn't stop anyone and he couldn't figure out how to get the ship righted.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wade is great as a quick fix, but once he gets figured out, he has no response.

Just like in Dallas, by year 3 in Houston, his defense couldn't stop anyone and he couldn't figure out how to get the ship righted.
His defense is way too predictable. That's why offenses catch on after awhile.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I really don't see it that way. If his D is so predictable it would not start out hot and then fizzle, it's more about his ability to have the guys play hard. I would put him in a booth somewhere far away from the players, and do the X's&O's, with someone else in charge of the players chewing their asses off, instead of the "awww shucks, you gave a very nice effort there..." they'd get from SOB.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I really don't see it that way. If his D is so predictable it would not start out hot and then fizzle, it's more about his ability to have the guys play hard. I would put him in a booth somewhere far away from the players, and do the X's&O's, with someone else in charge of the players chewing their asses off, instead of the "awww shucks, you gave a very nice effort there..." they'd get from SOB.
That's pretty much my thoughts as well. I think as a cumulative matter he has as much exposure to defensive football as anyone who is still coaching.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I wouldn't want Wade on my coaching staff, period.

Guy's a loser and excuse maker. He may be a good Xs and Os guy, but he's a net negative. The fact that the last 2 teams he was associated with collapsed in a short amount of time show how poorly he coaches and how little his stellar Xs and Os mean.
If I had a gun to my head and had to pick him as a DC or Garrett as an OC, I take the old man.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Oh with a bit of SNAP!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I will never forget when David Garrard played against the Phillips led defense in Dallas. After basically never having an incompletion Garrard made some comment about how it was soooo easy to predict what Dallas was doing on defense that he basically knew what to do with the ball on every play before the snap.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You guys are being way too hard on Wade as a DC. I think there may even be some inaccuracies floating around in here.

I should defend Wade for 10 pages.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
You guys are being way too hard on Wade as a DC. I think there may even be some inaccuracies floating around in here.

I should defend Wade for 10 pages.
:towel

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I will never forget when David Garrard played against the Phillips led defense in Dallas. After basically never having an incompletion Garrard made some comment about how it was soooo easy to predict what Dallas was doing on defense that he basically knew what to do with the ball on every play before the snap.
And then Rob Ryan came in and no one on defense ever knew what to do before the snap.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And then Rob Ryan came in and no one on defense ever knew what to do before the snap.
We were disorganized under Rob Ryan but I think people were a little hard on him here. I can't remember the last time people were happy with our defensive coordinator. I think the problem with Rob Ryan had more to do with our talent then it did with his scheme.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We were disorganized under Rob Ryan but I think people were a little hard on him here. I can't remember the last time people were happy with our defensive coordinator. I think the problem with Rob Ryan had more to do with our talent then it did with his scheme.
That might be the case but what I observed with Ryan's schemes is that his secondary alignment was all wrong for the players he had. He used a recover scheme that had the entire secondary playing off the receivers from 8 to 10 yards at the snap. The idea was that they would recognize and recover by closing the gap thus safe guarding the long gainer. The personnel were always either too slow to recognize the play or too slow afoot to defend properly. The defense would give up 5 to 10 yards on almost every passing down. The result was that the opponent would continue to make first downs and able to score at will during a cover scheme. The players just never executed or adjusted to his game plan either because it was complicated or they didn't have the talent to succeed.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That might be the case but what I observed with Ryan's schemes is that his secondary alignment was all wrong for the players he had. He used a recover scheme that had the entire secondary playing off the receivers from 8 to 10 yards at the snap.
I agree with this. If I were a defensive coordinator I'd have my corners up pressing on basically every play. Your corner can only get physical with the WR within those first 5 yards, so if you want to throw off the timing of an offense the only real way to do that is to get up and press the WRs. That doesn't mean your coverages have to be predictable because you can do a lot while your corners are still up and pressing. NFL WRs are too talented to try and cover without touching them. If you can't throw the timing of an offense off I don't think it will matter how great of pressure players you have up front. The QB will just take his 3 steps and deliver the ball on time.

Top Bottom