Marvez: How Cowboys tossed out the book, used Senior Bowl as intelligence experiment

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
How Cowboys tossed out the book, used Senior Bowl as intelligence experiment

Refusing to give prospects playbooks and instead making them take notes created plenty of panic, provided plenty of insight, too

By Alex Marvez  @alexmarvez
Feb 22, 2016 at 11:50p ET

The Dallas Cowboys employed an unorthodox method toward coaching talent last month at the Reese’s Senior Bowl.

No playbooks.

Yes, there is a joke in there about maybe this being the reason for the 2015 Cowboys finishing with a 4-12 record. But this is no laughing matter when it comes to Dallas’ scouting evaluation of the players on the Senior Bowl’s North squad in Mobile, Ala.

Stanford inside linebacker Blake Martinez told co-host Phil Savage and me Monday on SiriusXM NFL Radio that Dallas coach Jason Garrett and his staff handed players blank notebooks at the beginning of a full week of Senior Bowl practices and meetings.

“Their whole evaluation for us was, ‘How well can this guy take notes?’” Martinez said. “They didn’t give us a playbook. They basically explained it on the board. They expected us to write down good enough notes to go back to our rooms, study, and have the diligence to step on the field the next day and perform at the high level they wanted.”

This was no problem for Martinez, who said he filled a notebook throughout his standout college career.

“I have it with me still because I pride myself on having it,” said Martinez, who is projected as a mid-round pick heading into this week’s NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis. “To learn what I was doing is actually helping me out in the long run is pretty cool to see.”

Savage, who is the Senior Bowl’s executive director, said franchises coaching in the college All-Star game traditionally provide “some semblance of playbook.” Martinez said some of his peers struggled in adjusting to a technique that may help the Cowboys better determine the learning aptitude of draft prospects.

“You could see the facial expressions when we were in the meetings and (the Cowboys coaches) said, ‘We’re not giving you playbooks. Take some notes,’” Martinez said. “It was like, ‘Oh … I’ve never done that before.’

“I feel like it was one of those things where a lot of guys maybe at the beginning struggled but as the week went on they learned or looked at other guys to see how it’s done and what they needed to do. That kind of showed a type of player, a professional player, from that standpoint -- finding a way to get that done whether it’s a weakness or strength.”

Among the top prospects on the North squad the Cowboys coached at the Senior Bowl were North Dakota State quarterback Carson Wentz, Ohio State wide receiver Braxton Miller, Indiana tackle Jason Spriggs and Louisiana Tech running back Kenneth Dixon. Dallas holds the No. 4 overall pick in this year’s draft.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Testing Wentz's mental retention and focus? I like it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

dallen

Senior Tech
This just proves we don't have a playbook.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Next. Landry.

stubbie

Not So New Member
Cowboys staff had a great opportunity in coaching this senior bowl. Love that they used this evaluation method on them.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This just proves we don't have a playbook.
It's no wonder they lost. How the hell can you be prepared for a game in a few days without a playbook. Not that I really care, we basically said screw everyone else, we will take advantage of the situation.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I cannot ever remember when we checked at the line that it didn't go to a run play. Every. Single. Time. So sad.

townsend

Banned
I cannot ever remember when we checked at the line that it didn't go to a run play. Every. Single. Time. So sad.
Since you have more insight into the world of coaching, what's the explanation for long tenured coaches failing at something so simple? Seems to me the laymen who's familiar with Madden 98 would be sure not to give his offensive play calling such a significant tell.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Since you have more insight into the world of coaching, what's the explanation for long tenured coaches failing at something so simple? Seems to me the laymen who's familiar with Madden 98 would be sure not to give his offensive play calling such a significant tell.

One of my sore subjects for sure in the coaching world. There is a great fear veering to change or being untraditional. It is so dumb in this case. Every team that we play knows that when we check we are going to run. It is mostly fear. If you move from tradition and it doesn't work you get told that you don't know basic football and suck.

Another play that failed that I don't blame the coach is when Carroll called that little pass play in the end zone in the super bowl. He was calling plays balls out and getting tight. Play the same way that he'd been Winning all year. Everyone said that he was an idiot to not run the Beast on that play. Maybe, maybe not. I admire Carroll for going for it. 9/10 that is successful IMO. The defense made an excellent play and the coaching was great on
Both sides.

To answer your question - tradition, fear and sticking to what coaches are comfortable with.

Look at Arians and Riveria right now. IMO they are two of the best in the business and they do it their way. Carolina found some nice things and they do things that are non-traditional even in the run game. I love it. Arians doesn't have any fear. He plays and coaches balls-out. I love it.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
One of my sore subjects for sure in the coaching world. There is a great fear veering to change or being untraditional. It is so dumb in this case. Every team that we play knows that when we check we are going to run. It is mostly fear. If you move from tradition and it doesn't work you get told that you don't know basic football and suck.

Another play that failed that I don't blame the coach is when Carroll called that little pass play in the end zone in the super bowl. He was calling plays balls out and getting tight. Play the same way that he'd been Winning all year. Everyone said that he was an idiot to not run the Beast on that play. Maybe, maybe not. I admire Carroll for going for it. 9/10 that is successful IMO. The defense made an excellent play and the coaching was great on
Both sides.

To answer your question - tradition, fear and sticking to what coaches are comfortable with.

Look at Arians and Riveria right now. IMO they are two of the best in the business and they do it their way. Carolina found some nice things and they do things that are non-traditional even in the run game. I love it. Arians doesn't have any fear. He plays and coaches balls-out. I love it.
there was nothing wrong with the pass play Carroll called in the SB. The pats corner played a hunch, got lucky and made a great play. You look at how the pats loaded up to stop Lynch, I think he would have been stuffed for a loss if they ran it. Lynch is a powerful runner when he hits the second level, he's not a super elite short yardage guy like Emmitt Smith where he can find the smallest hole and find positive yardage with a perfect cut back when the called play is blown up.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
One of my sore subjects for sure in the coaching world. There is a great fear veering to change or being untraditional.
And nobody fears that more than our orange leader.

Top Bottom