McClain trade could cost Cowboys nothing

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com
IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys could end up giving the Baltimore Ravens nothing in the trade for linebacker Rolando McClain.

According to multiple sources, if McClain, who was acquired Tuesday, does not make the team or is not on the Cowboys' 53-man roster for five games or 46-man game-day roster for three games in 2014, then the Ravens will not receive any compensation.

As it stands right now, the trade calls for the Cowboys to give up their seventh-rounder in 2016 if McClain is on the 53-man roster for five games or 46-man roster for three games only if their pick is better than the Ravens' pick in the round. If it is, then the teams will swap selections. If the Ravens finish with a worse record in 2014, then there is no swap.

If McClain plays in 50 percent of the defensive snaps in 2014, then the Ravens would receive the Cowboys' sixth-round pick in 2015 and the Cowboys would receive Baltimore’s seventh-round pick in 2015. McClain has not played since November 2012, but the Cowboys could look at him as a replacement for Sean Lee, who is out for the year with a torn anterior cruciate ligament. He could also be in the mix as a strongside linebacker.

The Cowboys would gladly give up a low-round pick if McClain, a former first-round pick in 2010 of the Oakland Raiders, is a starter even for just one year.

McClain did not receive any guaranteed money in the one-year deal he signed with the Cowboys.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com
IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys could end up giving the Baltimore Ravens nothing in the trade for linebacker Rolando McClain.

According to multiple sources, if McClain, who was acquired Tuesday, does not make the team or is not on the Cowboys' 53-man roster for five games or 46-man game-day roster for three games in 2014, then the Ravens will not receive any compensation.

As it stands right now, the trade calls for the Cowboys to give up their seventh-rounder in 2016 if McClain is on the 53-man roster for five games or 46-man roster for three games only if their pick is better than the Ravens' pick in the round. If it is, then the teams will swap selections. If the Ravens finish with a worse record in 2014, then there is no swap.

If McClain plays in 50 percent of the defensive snaps in 2014, then the Ravens would receive the Cowboys' sixth-round pick in 2015 and the Cowboys would receive Baltimore’s seventh-round pick in 2015. McClain has not played since November 2012, but the Cowboys could look at him as a replacement for Sean Lee, who is out for the year with a torn anterior cruciate ligament. He could also be in the mix as a strongside linebacker.

The Cowboys would gladly give up a low-round pick if McClain, a former first-round pick in 2010 of the Oakland Raiders, is a starter even for just one year.

McClain did not receive any guaranteed money in the one-year deal he signed with the Cowboys.
So can we now all admit it is seriously a zero risk move?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's a zero risk move but it's also zero reward, this guy is a bona fide idiot and seems well beyond redeemable.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a zero risk move but it's also zero reward, this guy is a bona fide idiot and seems well beyond redeemable.
Oh there is a possibility for reward, as slim as it may be. He is a talented young player. If he somehow magically has a fire lit under his ass he could be a good player.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Oh there is a possibility for reward, as slim as it may be. He is a talented young player. If he somehow magically has a fire lit under his ass he could be a good player.
Yea, it would truly be magic as he hasn't played since 2012 and has retired twice and been arrested several times since.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, it would truly be magic as he hasn't played since 2012 and has retired twice and been arrested several times since.
It's like getting a lottery ticket for free. Odds are horrendous but it's free so WGAS.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
I thought about what a waste of time this guy is until I remembered the magic words: Rod Marinelli.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Just as slim as hitting on a good QB late in the draft?

~glances awkwardly at Ravid~

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If the guy doesn't work out nothing is lost. The team will be exactly as it was before he was picked up.

Cotton

Staff member
If the guy doesn't work out nothing is lost. The team will be exactly as it was before he was picked up.
It most likely won't be without some cost. He could possible take up a roster spot that could be used for another position. Most likely needed for the DL rotation. But draft cost could be zero, no doubt.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It most likely won't be without some cost. He could possible take up a roster spot that could be used for another position. Most likely needed for the DL rotation. But draft cost could be zero, no doubt.
But there would be a cost to anyone else filling that roster spot so it's a wash.

Cotton

Staff member
But there would be a cost to anyone else filling that roster spot so it's a wash.
I'm talking filling it versus production. If we have a DL guy that is needed in the rotation and is productive versus McClain who is not being productive, it could cost us the opportunity to have the DL on the roster on gameday.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm talking filling it versus production. If we have a DL guy that is needed in the rotation and is productive versus McClain who is not being productive, it could cost us the opportunity to have the DL on the roster on gameday.
That will likely be sorted out in TC.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, we'll see about that. I'm not against the move because it is so low cost, but I can see him taking up a roster spot, unnecessarily.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'd think if anything, if he shows enough to be kept he'd be bumping another LB off the roster. The team will usually keep a set number of players per unit. And if by some strange reason a DLman did get whacked in favor of McClain, it would be the last guy hanging by a thread anyway. And I'm not losing any sleep over a guy like Nick Hayden being shown the door.

Top Bottom