Texans Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Officials breakdown: Pete Morelli
September, 30, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Pete Morelli’s crew will work Sunday’s game between the Dallas Cowboys and Houston Texans at AT&T Stadium after taking last week off.

The Cowboys have not seen Morelli since Week 12 of the 2011 season when they beat the Miami Dolphins on Thanksgiving. They were flagged 11 times for 69 yards in the 20-19 win. They also had Morelli’s crew for their Week 13 win in 2010 against the Indianapolis Colts. They were penalized five times for 35 yards.

Morelli’s crew worked the Week 3 game at Gillette Stadium between the Oakland Raiders and New England Patriots. The crew called 16 penalties with 12 accepted flags. The Raiders were penalized six times for 49 yards and the Patriots had six penalties for 59 yards.

The breakdown:

Illegal block above the waist – 1
Illegal substitution – 1
Defensive pass interference – 2
Offensive holding – 4
Illegal formation – 1
False start – 4
Defensive holding – 1
12-men on the field – 1
Offensive pass interference

Quarter by quarter:

First – 7
Second – 2
Third – 5
Fourth – 2

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Texans-Cowboys rivalry not as fierce as Houston-Dallas

By Randy Harvey

September 30, 2014 | Updated: September 30, 2014 4:27pm

It didn't take long this week for Houston vs. Dallas to catch fire.

Houston's general manager said free agents would prefer to come here rather than Dallas.

"If you want to win, you're going to want to join our organization," he told Yahoo Sports.

Dallas' owner, who has experienced the feeling of winning a championship, told the Dallas Morning News, "I'm not sure how he would know that."

Houston's general manager said the Dallas owner likes to use his "bully pulpit" to, well, bully.

Dallas' owner said, "If you throw a punch, (I'll punch back.)"

Texans vs. Cowboys?

The Dallas owner could be Jerry Jones because you never know what he'll say. The Houston general manager couldn't be Rick Smith because you always know what he won't say. Anything controversial.

This was Rockets vs. Mavericks, Houston general manager Daryl Morey vs. Dallas owner Mark Cuban. They were arguing, without going into details, about which franchise is smarter.

The answer is San Antonio.

But the Rockets vs. the Mavericks is a suddenly raging rivalry. There probably will be more words exchanged before they actually play each other in a regular-season game on Nov. 22.

Meantime, the Texans and Cowboys play Sunday at AT&T Stadium in Arlington.

No one is punching or counter punching.

Although he is new to the state, Texans coach Bill O'Brien said he recognizes there is a different feel to this game for owner Bob McNair and the fans.

"I know it means a lot," he said. "Start here in this organization. I know that this game means a lot to Mr. McNair and this Texans organization.

"I know it means a lot to the city, the city of Houston. Houston vs. Dallas. Texas is such a great football state, and Houston and Dallas are fantastic football cities, and it means a lot to the fans of Houston for us to be able to go out there, play well and win the game."

It's unclear how much it means to fans in Dallas. They've always had a football superiority complex in disregard to Houston - perhaps because the Cowboys have five Super Bowl championships, perhaps because they were in the NFL before Houston, perhaps because they're from Dallas and have a superiority complex in disregard to everything.

It does, however, mean a lot to Jones. He told Dallas radio station KRLD-FM this week he has cried after only three losses. One was to the Texans in their inaugural game in Houston in 2002.

Jones has called McNair one of the NFL's best owners, has backed him in his efforts to bring an expansion team to Houston and in bringing Super Bowls to Houston.

But he acknowledged that loss hurt because he sensed it could be the beginning of turning Cowboys fans in Houston into Texans fans. Not all of them. There are Cowboys fans here. According to Nielsen ratings, only seven other markets in the nation had more viewers for Dallas' 38-17 victory over New Orleans on Sunday night. But there also could have been Saints fans among them. Or Texans fans tuning in to scout the Cowboys. In any case, you don't see many Tony Romo jerseys here.

"We'd go down there when they were the Oilers, when we actually played, and half the stands would be Cowboys fans," Jones said. "So we knew we had a big base.

"We were big supporters, huge supporters of Houston getting the franchise back. But that loss killed us. That will always be there for me."

But for the coaches and players? It's just another game, one in 16.

It might mean more if the two teams played more often. The Rockets and Mavericks are in the same division. The Astros and Rangers are in the same division. The Texans and Cowboys aren't even in the same conference.

They have played twice in the regular season since the Texans' 19-10 victory in 2002. The Cowboys won 39-6 in 2006 and 27-13 in 2010.

Unfamiliarity doesn't breed contempt.

The Texans have been careful not to give the Cowboys any reason to change that.

"It's a big challenge," O'Brien said. "Dallas has an excellent football team led by a real good head coach, Coach Garrett, who I have a lot of respect for."

Added tackle Duane Brown, "From what I hear, Dallas played very well (against New Orleans). Their defense played well. That's a very explosive Saints offense they went against. Their offense played well. They've been running the ball great. Passed the ball great last night. It's a big challenge for us."

The rivalry is invisible, like the Texas Governor's Cup that was awarded to winners of Oilers-Cowboys games. It hasn't been seen publicly in years.

Maybe Mark Cuban has it.

Cotton

Staff member
Texans coach Bill O’Brien: Tony Romo doesn’t look like QB coming off back surgery

By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
5:29 pm on October 1, 2014 | Permalink

Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo. (Tom Fox/The Dallas Morning News)

IRVING — Tony Romo has steadily improved each week this season. Romo threw three interceptions in the 28-17 Week 1 loss to San Francisco. During last Sunday’s 38-17 win over New Orleans, Romo tossed three touchdowns and no interceptions.

Each game this season, Romo has increased his passer rating. He posted a 60.8 rating against the 49ers, 93.5 against the Titans, 116.8 against the Rams and 137.4 against the Saints.

Houston Texans coach Bill O’Brien has seen some good quarterback play in his NFL coaching career. O’Brien worked with Tom Brady as an assistant in New England.

During a Wednesday conference call, O’Brien said Romo doesn’t look like a player coming off December back surgery.

“I think he’s playing really well,” O’Brien said. “He’s played at a high level in this league for a long time. He’s got great intelligence. He’s seen a lot. He’s able to change plays at the line of scrimmage. He’s able to read coverage after the snap of the ball. He’s able to get his team into the right play. He’s doing a really good job for that football team.”

Houston linebacker Brian Cushing also gave his assessment of Romo on Wednesday while talking to media members who cover the Texans.

“He’s a very capable quarterback,” Cushing said. “Obviously over the years, he’s gotten some stuff here and there, but I’ve always thought he was a very good quarterback. He can make all the throws. He’s very elusive in the pocket.

“You see him just get away from a ton of sacks and a ton of pressure. On top of that, he’s throwing to very good receivers. If he can get the ball to those guys, they’re huge playmakers and he’s a playmaker as well.”

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wounded animal.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Watt Presents An All-Pro Challenge For Entire O-Line
By David Helman | Oct 01, 2014 |

Watt A Challenge
In 2011, the Dallas Cowboys opted to rebuild their offensive line over drafting J.J. Watt. The O-line is since rebuilt, and now it faces the challenge of stymying the All-Pro.

IRVING, Texas – If nothing else, it’s quickly becoming apparent how impressive the 2011 NFL Draft class is.

Two weeks ago, Tyron Smith – the No. 9 overall pick the 2011 draft -- dispatched the Rams’ Robert Quinn, that year’s No. 14 pick – without a sack to show for it. If the Cowboys are going to extend their current winning streak to four games, the Dallas offensive line will have to manage another 2011 draft class member – Houston’s No. 11 overall pick, J.J. Watt.

“You can tell that he studies a lot, he prepares a lot,” Smith said Wednesday. “All you can do is just prepare for it and study him the same way he studies you.”

It’s staggering how much of a role Watt has played in Houston’s 3-1 start this season. In addition to his 15 tackles and two sacks, he’s led the Texans’ highlight reels with touchdowns on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball – not to mention three batted passes, a fumble recovery and a blocked kick.

“He shows up in the run game, he shows up in the pass game. He sacks the quarterback, he intercepts the passes, he disrupts the game,” said Cowboys coach Jason Garrett. “He’s clearly one of the best defensive linemen in the National Football League.”

Unlike Quinn, however, Watt is destined to always have a link to the Cowboys. Dallas heavily considered selecting the Wisconsin defensive end in Garrett’s first draft as head coach before ultimately deciding on Smith as their franchise left tackle.

“When they were on the clock at No. 9, that was really the first time that my family and I kind of started to watch what was going on a little bit – a little more closely,” Watt said. “You never know where you’re going to go or how things are going to work out, but that was at least kind of the point where we were like ‘Ok, you never know what’s going to happen, but at least let’s start tuning in a little bit here.’”

It’d hard to find fault with either player to this point in their careers – they have three Pro Bowls between them, and they both recently signed lucrative contract extensions that will make them franchise mainstays for the foreseeable future.

“We felt like we needed to get some cornerstone players,” Garrett said. “Tyron Smith was coming out that year and we felt like he can be a left tackle and be a cornerstone player for us for a long time.”

Again, unlike the matchup with Quinn, neutralizing Watt is task that’s bound to fall on all three of the Cowboys’ first-round offensive linemen – all five starters, in fact. While Quinn lined up predominantly against Smith, Watt is famous for moving all around the Texans’ 3-4 defense and creating havoc from multiple positions.

“First off, you never know where I’m going to line up, and I think that’s always good,” Watt said. “But then also, you try and find different matchups for different guys and things like that. You want to keep people guessing, but at the same time, for me, it’s also fun.”

Watt watched the Cowboys’ Sunday night beating of New Orleans on TV and came away impressed. But he said the function of the offensive line has been even more impressive since he’s been able to turn on the coaches’ film of the first four games.

“I think that’s one thing is impressive about them, is how they communicate well together,” he said. “They know exactly what they’re supposed to do, where they’re supposed to get to and how they’re supposed to block, and they do it within their system very well.”

With the way the line has performed of late, the Cowboys have to feel confident about their odds, even if that means the challenge falls on Doug Free – or even Zack Martin and Travis Frederick.

“You’ve got to study that film as well. So that adds a little bit more,” Frederick said. “It’s just another challenge. He’s going to give you a lot of different things, so it’s a lot of different things to prepare for.”

None of Houston’s four opponents to this point have had much success in taking that preparation to the field. The two times this season he’s been held without a sack, against Oakland and Buffalo, he’s found other ways to make an impact.

Against the Raiders in Week 2 he lined up on offense and caught a one-yard touchdown pass, and he added a quarterback hit that led to an interception. Last weekend against the Bills, he took his interception of E.J. Manuel 80 yards to the house.

“You’re going to see he’s a hard-working player, has a really high motor and has become a pretty good player, so you’ve got to be your best for this coming week,” Smith said.

After controlling the trenches so well last weekend against the Saints, Garrett said that challenge begins anew in preparing for Watt.

“Obviously this week starts with protection in the passing game, making sure that we secure that line of scrimmage, and he’s certainly the No. 1 challenge,” he said.

Cotton

Staff member
No way we get so lucky as to get to play them minus JJ Watt.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I hate to be the guy who says they want to see their best players, but I am curious to see how our OL does against Watt.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cotton

Staff member
I hate to be the guy who says they want to see their best players, but I am curious to see how our OL does against Watt.
I would like to see that as well, but more in a preseason type environment. :lol

p1_

DCC 4Life

Posted 15 hours ago

David Helman DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer Follow David Helman on Twitter

IRVING, Texas – If nothing else, it’s quickly becoming apparent how impressive the 2011 NFL Draft class is.

Two weeks ago, Tyron Smith – the No. 9 overall pick the 2011 draft -- dispatched the Rams’ Robert Quinn, that year’s No. 14 pick – without a sack to show for it. If the Cowboys are going to extend their current winning streak to four games, the Dallas offensive line will have to manage another 2011 draft class member – Houston’s No. 11 overall pick, J.J. Watt.

“You can tell that he studies a lot, he prepares a lot,” Smith said Wednesday. “All you can do is just prepare for it and study him the same way he studies you.”

It’s staggering how much of a role Watt has played in Houston’s 3-1 start this season. In addition to his 15 tackles and two sacks, he’s led the Texans’ highlight reels with touchdowns on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball – not to mention three batted passes, a fumble recovery and a blocked kick.

“He shows up in the run game, he shows up in the pass game. He sacks the quarterback, he intercepts the passes, he disrupts the game,” said Cowboys coach Jason Garrett. “He’s clearly one of the best defensive linemen in the National Football League.”

Unlike Quinn, however, Watt is destined to always have a link to the Cowboys. Dallas heavily considered selecting the Wisconsin defensive end in Garrett’s first draft as head coach before ultimately deciding on Smith as their franchise left tackle.

“When they were on the clock at No. 9, that was really the first time that my family and I kind of started to watch what was going on a little bit – a little more closely,” Watt said. “You never know where you’re going to go or how things are going to work out, but that was at least kind of the point where we were like ‘Ok, you never know what’s going to happen, but at least let’s start tuning in a little bit here.’”

It’d hard to find fault with either player to this point in their careers – they have three Pro Bowls between them, and they both recently signed lucrative contract extensions that will make them franchise mainstays for the foreseeable future.

“We felt like we needed to get some cornerstone players,” Garrett said. “Tyron Smith was coming out that year and we felt like he can be a left tackle and be a cornerstone player for us for a long time.”

Again, unlike the matchup with Quinn, neutralizing Watt is task that’s bound to fall on all three of the Cowboys’ first-round offensive linemen – all five starters, in fact. While Quinn lined up predominantly against Smith, Watt is famous for moving all around the Texans’ 3-4 defense and creating havoc from multiple positions.

“First off, you never know where I’m going to line up, and I think that’s always good,” Watt said. “But then also, you try and find different matchups for different guys and things like that. You want to keep people guessing, but at the same time, for me, it’s also fun.”

Watt watched the Cowboys’ Sunday night beating of New Orleans on TV and came away impressed. But he said the function of the offensive line has been even more impressive since he’s been able to turn on the coaches’ film of the first four games.

“I think that’s one thing is impressive about them, is how they communicate well together,” he said. “They know exactly what they’re

supposed to do, where they’re supposed to get to and how they’re supposed to block, and they do it within their system very well.”

With the way the line has performed of late, the Cowboys have to feel confident about their odds, even if that means the challenge falls on Doug Free – or even Zack Martin and Travis Frederick.

“You’ve got to study that film as well. So that adds a little bit more,” Frederick said. “It’s just another challenge. He’s going to give you a lot of different things, so it’s a lot of different things to prepare for.”

None of Houston’s four opponents to this point have had much success in taking that preparation to the field. The two times this season he’s been held without a sack, against Oakland and Buffalo, he’s found other way to make an impact.

Against the Raiders in Week 2 he lined up on offense and caught a one-yard touchdown pass, and he added a quarterback hit that led to an interception. Last weekend against the Bills, he took his interception of E.J. Manuel 80 yards to the house.

“You’re going to see he’s a hard-working player, has a really high motor and has become a pretty good player, so you’ve got to be your best for this coming week,” Smith said.

After controlling the trenches so well last weekend against the Saints, Garrett said that challenge begins anew in preparing for Watt.

“Obviously this week starts with protection in the passing game, making sure that we secure that line of scrimmage, and he’s certainly the No. 1 challenge,” he said.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good as the Oline has played, this will be a juicy story line. How will we handle this monster?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Watt is a bigger challenge than our linemen have ever faced, so I hope they use their "improved coomunication" to coordinate double teams against him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Watt is a bigger challenge than our linemen have ever faced, so I hope they use their "improved coomunication" to coordinate double teams against him.
Well I hope he is the biggest challenge they have ever faced, you called him the best defensive player of all time.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hope Doug Free man handles him all game single handily. I'm fancy like that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Giants have a far less talented OL and they kept Watt under control. He still got a sack, but his splash plays were kept to a minimum.

If we allow him to take over the game, then we aren't nearly as good as I think we are on the OL.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Matt Bowen Film Study: Demarco Murray's Run Production

The Cowboys offense is tough to prep for because of the balance they have in the call sheet, along with the multiple ways they can attack opposing defenses in the run game.

With one-back schemes, the Cowboys can create running lanes for Murray using zone technique or pulling blockers at the point of attack to fit up on second-level defenders in both Ace/12 and Posse/11 personnel.

This is the one-back Counter OF the Cowboys executed on Sunday night in the win over the Saints.

Credit: NFL Game Rewind
As you can see, the Cowboys pull both the guard and Jason Witten (aligned off the ball) to account for the two inside ‘backers. That allows Murray to square his pads and get through the second level to the secondary.

Given that the Texans have struggled to limit the run game in both their base and sub-package personnel, I would look for the Cowboys to carry a similar game plan with Murray this Sunday. That means more one-back schemes behind an offensive line that is moving people up front.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Matt Bowen Film Study: Demarco Murray's Run Production

The Cowboys offense is tough to prep for because of the balance they have in the call sheet, along with the multiple ways they can attack opposing defenses in the run game.

With one-back schemes, the Cowboys can create running lanes for Murray using zone technique or pulling blockers at the point of attack to fit up on second-level defenders in both Ace/12 and Posse/11 personnel.

This is the one-back Counter OF the Cowboys executed on Sunday night in the win over the Saints.

Credit: NFL Game Rewind
As you can see, the Cowboys pull both the guard and Jason Witten (aligned off the ball) to account for the two inside ‘backers. That allows Murray to square his pads and get through the second level to the secondary.

Given that the Texans have struggled to limit the run game in both their base and sub-package personnel, I would look for the Cowboys to carry a similar game plan with Murray this Sunday. That means more one-back schemes behind an offensive line that is moving people up front.
TE blocking will be key. The Giants actually used Larry Donnell effectively en route to nearly 200 yards on the ground against them.

We have run on better defenses so far than Houston. If we can't, that means there is something awry.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Those blocks by Leary and Witten are a thing of beauty, NO had no chance.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The Giants have a far less talented OL and they kept Watt under control. He still got a sack, but his splash plays were kept to a minimum.

If we allow him to take over the game, then we aren't nearly as good as I think we are on the OL.
I think that the Giants really turned a corner as a team in their handling of Watt. It will be a good test for Callahan and co.

I don't expect to lose the game. The Texans are a limited team offensively. But I am definitely looking forward to that battle up front.

Top Bottom