Archer: Terrance Williams working for Tony Romo's trust

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Terrance Williams working for Tony Romo's trust

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- In his first two years with the Dallas Cowboys, wide receiver Terrance Williams did not have the chance to catch a pass from Tony Romo in the offseason program because of the quarterback’s recovery from back surgeries.

That has changed this spring.

"I'm still trying to find ways to come out there and have him look my way the same way he looks at Dez (Bryant) and (Jason) Witten," Williams said. "Now, this spring, I'm just basically with Tony doing whatever he's telling me to do, because I want him, every time he breaks the huddle, to have somebody else he can count on."

In his first two seasons, Williams has caught 81 passes for 1,357 yards and 13 touchdowns. He caught 37 passes for 621 yards and eight touchdowns last season and added three touchdown catches in the Cowboys’ two playoff games.

He had only 12 catches in the final eight games of the regular season with Bryant, Witten and Cole Beasley playing larger roles in the passing game.

With Bryant not taking part in the offseason program so far as he awaits a long-term deal with the franchise-tag tender ready for him to sign, Williams is atop the Cowboys’ pecking order at receiver.

Bryant will eventually return, either in the organized team activities, minicamp, training camp or early in the regular season, but the offseason promotion to No. 1 receiver should help Williams’ development.

"That's not something that I'm hoping happens," Williams said. "But if it does happen, then that's why Coach Garrett and my coaches did a great job telling me not to worry about what's going on, but just focusing on ways that I can get better and help my team."

Bryant has made periodic appearances at Valley Ranch in the offseason. Williams said he talks to him often.

"Dez wants to be back," Williams said. "We know that and he knows that and whenever he comes back, he's back in the family. ... I still talk to him once every two days, probably -- I just check up on him and see how he's doing. The times he did (come to Valley Ranch), he looked like he was ready to go. I guess whenever he decides to come back we're just going to pick up where we left off."

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Considering Williams hasn't had that offseason work, he's done pretty well. I am comfortable with his Alvin Harper-like production so long as we get the production elsewhere that is needed.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Considering Williams hasn't had that offseason work, he's done pretty well. I am comfortable with his Alvin Harper-like production so long as we get the production elsewhere that is needed.
Agreed. I never thought about him not having any offseason work with Romo before. Hard to build trust and timing without it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Agreed. I never thought about him not having any offseason work with Romo before. Hard to build trust and timing without it.
Even without that he still made plays. He does work back to Romo and knows how to stay alive without structure, probably helps that he played at Baylor.

I don't think he is a strong enough route runner to ever be a true number one, but as a two, he will do for now, provided we keep running the ball successfully.

Asking him to do a lot more than he does not and in a full blown passing offense, his limitations will be exposed.

townsend

Banned
I picture Williams leaving after his rookie contract. Likely signed by a rival. Wouldn't be surprised to see him making Dez money the way shitbags like Hatcher, and Parnell have made bank off of mediocre performances.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I'll never understand why fans feel the need to lessen what players did here once they've left. Not sure why Hatcher and Parnell are shitbags. And neither guy was a bad player. Certainly not a shitbag. And I would love to see how an 11 sack season from anybody, much less a DT, could be classified as a mediocre performance.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Parnell was a bad player.

Hatcher I just don't like cause he went to a rival.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'll never understand why fans feel the need to lessen what players did here once they've left. Not sure why Hatcher and Parnell are shitbags. And neither guy was a bad player. Certainly not a shitbag. And I would love to see how an 11 sack season from anybody, much less a DT, could be classified as a mediocre performance.
Completely correct, though Jacksonville has overvalued Cowboy free agents of late.

Hatcher's was old by the time he started to contribute, otherwise he'd have been a Cowboy for life.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Parnell was a bad player.

Hatcher I just don't like cause he went to a rival.
Jacksonville vastly overpaid for him, sure. But Parnell is not a bad player. He was a serviceable backup that has a place on a football team. I believe Jacksonville will find out that he is not a starting tackle. Or at least not one worth what they paid. But for what he was on our team and the role he filled, he certainly was not a bad player.

townsend

Banned
I was being mildly hyperbolic. Hatcher had one really good year. Parnell was a passable backup. They both got paid like top starters. I called them shitbags because they in no way played well enough to receive those contracts, teams just like overpaying for Cowboys players.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Hatcher hasn't set the world on fire since he left though, neither did Canty. Bowen had one good season then returned to earth. I don't think Parnell is going to go out and be awesome either. Sure, you can say they contributed while they were here, but you can't say they weren't overpaid.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Hatcher hasn't set the world on fire since he left though, neither did Canty. Bowen had one good season then returned to earth. I don't think Parnell is going to go out and be awesome either. Sure, you can say they contributed while they were here, but you can't say they weren't overpaid.
Not sure where Canty and Bowen come into this, but, ok. And I don't care how any of those guys have done once they left here. I was only saying they were decent players while they were here. And as far as saying they weren't overpaid... I never said that. In fact, I think I said exactly the opposite.

hstour

Brand New Member
I was being mildly hyperbolic. Hatcher had one really good year. Parnell was a passable backup. They both got paid like top starters. I called them shitbags because they in no way played well enough to receive those contracts, teams just like overpaying for Cowboys players.
So if you are offered a large pay increase to take a position at a different company you are a shitbag? That doesn't really make sense. You always get your money coming in the door because it's 3-5% yearly pay increases, if you are lucky, once you are there.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Bad players do not sign for the money he did and how did that that bad player give up zero sacks while starting 5 games overall and 2 playoff games?

He might have gotten overpaid but in no way was he a bad player.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Bad players do not sign for the money he did and how did that that bad player give up zero sacks while starting 5 games overall and 2 playoff games?

He might have gotten overpaid but in no way was he a bad player.
Bad players sign for ridiculous money in FA sometimes, don't be absurd.

He was barely a keep your head above water player and it was mostly due to the strength of the linemen around him. If Chaz Green doesn't surpass him as a swing tackle it will be a huge disappointment.

You can have him on your team if you want. Not mine.

Top Bottom