TV Thread

D

Deuce

I'm 3 episodes in on the 6 episodes of Last Chance U on Netflix. It's about the nations top JUCO football program during last season. It's good...but so damn annoying with how some of these kids act. High school/college athletes today are so different with their attention seeking behaviors and these recruiting services and twitter have just magnified it. Some of these guys are so entitled and are literally being given the answers to their school work and they still won't even put in a little effort to do it. No wonder they are where they are.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The Night Of finished strong last night. It was more procedural than anything, but it was also very interesting how a little time in Rikers Island can change someone.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
About 5 episodes into Night Of. Damn, it's good.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Binge watching season 2 of Narcos, still excellent :towel

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
FX has a new show called Atlanta that's pretty funny, IMO.

The premiere was on Tuesday night.

The first 2 episodes are still available for stream on FX's website.

Jiggyfly

Banned
FX has a new show called Atlanta that's pretty funny, IMO.

The premiere was on Tuesday night.

The first 2 episodes are still available for stream on FX's website.

I have been meaning to DVR this.

Glover is kind of hit or miss he can be grating at times, interested to see how he does here.

His hiphop stuff is not half bad either.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I have been meaning to DVR this.

Glover is kind of hit or miss he can be grating at times, interested to see how he does here.

His hiphop stuff is not half bad either.
I don't think I've ever listened to anything he's put out. If it hasn't hit mainstream airways I probably haven't heard it.

As for the show, the episodes are still available on FX's website. Ad free at that. Well I did sit through one interactive ad at the beginning that lasted about a minute. After that it was commercial free programming.

I like it because it's only a 30 minute show. I'm growing weary of trying to keep up with series with hour long programs.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't think I've ever listened to anything he's put out. If it hasn't hit mainstream airways I probably haven't heard it.

As for the show, the episodes are still available on FX's website. Ad free at that. Well I did sit through one interactive ad at the beginning that lasted about a minute. After that it was commercial free programming.

I like it because it's only a 30 minute show. I'm growing weary of trying to keep up with series with hour long programs.
I am sure they will replay it between now and the next episode.

This is what he records under.

dallen

Senior Tech
I am sure they will replay it between now and the next episode.

This is what he records under.

I think it is funny his rap name came from a Wu-Tang Clan name generator. He's super talented no doubt

Jiggyfly

Banned
Queen of the South is pretty good for a basic cable show.

I like what they are doing with the women as the the scarface types.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I finished Stranger Things the other night. I thought it was pretty good. Definitely extremely relatable as I was around the same age as those kids in 1983 and was into some of the same things (including Dungeons and Dragons :geek). I was also a kid when movies that inspired it like ET, Poltergeist, the Goonies, etc. (even Stand By Me to a point just because of the 'boys go on grand adventure' aspect), came out. That nostalgia certainly enhanced my appreciation of this series.

Totally agree that Winona Rider continues to be a terrible actress. I get it that her character was supposed to be half-crazed and frantic because of the situation, but she was like fingernails on a chalkboard most of the time.

The kids were all pretty damn good and most of the adult characters as well (the Hopper character and Matthew Modine's character in particular). I looked it up on IMDB after I finished watching and discovered that the Jonathan Byers character is actually an English dude. Never would have guessed. His American accent was flawless. Eleven is also English but her dialogue was so limited it was less of an issue. She did a hell of a job in her role.

The performances of the kids really carried the movie and then the whole Spielberg/80s feel really sold it. Even the intro graphics/synthesizer tune felt very authentically 80s.

I did have a lot of problems with the story and it is very easy to shoot holes in it, but this was just one of those series where it is just a lot more fun to just enjoy for what it is. Some of shit was a little harder to overlook though:

Eleven had those powers because the government did LSD, etc., experiments on her mom while she was pregnant? :lol Come on, man! I was thinking for sure that they were going to explain it that she somehow gained those abilities during all of her interdimensional travel stuff/experimentation as a kid at the evil Hawkins Lab. Seems like it would have been a much easier sell because of the completely unknowable effects of a parallel dimension or whatever. But secret government experiments when she was en utero? Weak.

Some of the kids were entirely too fearless as well. It is somewhat understandable that Jonathan would go out in the woods with a gun looking for the monster because his little brother was missing. Nancy though...she, the 90 pound teenage girl, goes out there to take on some monster with a fucking baseball bat because her ginger friend is missing? Really? And she crawls into the tree when she find the weird, creepy organic gate thing? Are you kidding me? No way in hell she crawls into that thing, especially since she has to assume the monster is responsible for it and could well be waiting inside to kill her or that it was a trap created by the monster...like a spider web type of thing. No one is that brave and/or stupid.

There is a lot of stuff like this. Like I said, I made the decision to just pretty much ignore most of this kind of stuff and just enjoy it. And I did enjoy it. There were just some things that I felt like they probably could have tried a little bit harder to make somewhat believable is all.

Definitely an enjoyable series overall but I think it is probably getting a pass in certain areas because of how heavily it rides the wave of nostalgia.

Last edited:

Jiggyfly

Banned
Fargo season 3 plan revealed: Characters may return
Exclusive: 'Fargo' showrunner Noah Hawley has figured out next season's setting
BY JAMES HIBBERD • @JAMESHIBBERD

Fargo
Posted December 3 2015 — 7:39 PM EST

Fargo is leaving the 20th century behind for season 3.

FX’s acclaimed anthology drama was set in 2006 for its Emmy-winning debut season last year, and then the action shifted to 1979 for its current second season.

Season 3 will take place a couple years after the first season, EW has learned exclusively.

“It’s more contemporary,” showrunner Noah Hawley said when asked about the season 3 time period. “It’s set a couple years after season 1.”

Asked if this means some characters from the first season will return (or maybe even we’ll see older versions of characters from season 2), the writer-producer replied, “Potentially.”

The two seasons of Fargo have had entirely different casts, though one key character, Lou Solverson, was played by different actors in both seasons (Keith Carradine in season 1 and Patrick Wilson in season 2). Solverson’s daughter Molly (Allison Tolman) was a main character the first year, and a young minor character this year. Given that those two characters were in both seasons, one would suppose they’re among the most likely to continue in some capacity in season 3. But Hawley has also previously expressed some reluctance to put Molly Solverson through the dramatic wringer again, given her character’s satisfying season 1 arc.

We also asked Hawley if there were any hints about season 3 planted in the current season of Fargo, which FX recently renewed.

“There are going to be connections, the way the first year was connected to the movie and the second year was connected to the first, but I think part of the fun is figuring that stuff out and I wouldn’t want to take that away from anybody,” he said. “There will be definitely things that connect to something in our story.”

Jiggyfly

Banned
Fargo casts 10 Cloverfield Lane star in major role
Mary Elizabeth Winstead cast as a crafty bridge-playing ex-con
BY JAMES HIBBERD • @JAMESHIBBERD

(Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic)
Posted September 16 2016 — 6:30 PM EDT

Fargo has cast another acclaimed actor for season 3.

Mary Elizabeth Winstead (10 Cloverfield Lane, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World) has joined previously announced stars Ewan McGregor and Carrie Coon in the next edition of the acclaimed series.

Winstead will play “Nikki Swango,” a “crafty and alluring recent parolee with a passion for competitive bridge playing. Nikki is a woman with a plan, focused on always being at least one move ahead of her opponents.”

Oh Fargo, if you didn’t have us already, casting Winstead as a bridge-playing ex-con sealed the deal.

As previously announced, Fargo season 3 takes place in 2010 – a few years after the events in the first season and a few decades after season 2. McGregor will play brothers “Emmit and Ray Stussy” at the center of the story. Emmit, the Parking Lot King of Minnesota, is a handsome, self-made, real estate mogul and family man who sees himself as an American success story. His slightly younger brother, Ray, is a cautionary tale – balding and pot-bellied, Ray peaked in high school and is now a parole officer. Ray has a huge chip on his shoulder about the hand he’s been dealt, and he blames his brother, Emmit, for his misfortunes. Coon will play “Gloria Burgle,” the chief of the Eden Valley Police, and a newly divorced mother, who is struggling to understand this new world around her where people connect more intimately with their phones than the people right in front of them.

Fargo season 2 received 18 Emmy nominations and won two in the recent Creative Arts ceremony. The next season is expected to premiere in the spring of 2017

Jiggyfly

Banned
The Walking Dead: Jeffrey Dean Morgan on how his Negan is different from the comic
BY DALTON ROSS • @DALTONROSS

The Walking Dead
Posted September 12 2016 — 11:46 AM EDT

When it was announced Jeffrey Dean Morgan would be playing the infamous Walking Dead comic book villain Negan, the casting seemed perfect. And having watched him on set, I can say that Morgan has Negan’s mix of evil motives and disarming charm on lockdown. The guy is bringing it every single take.

But his approach is not a carbon copy of the comic book baddie. Morgan is adding some new wrinkles to the character with his take on the leather-clad lunatic. We spoke to the actor to get some insight as to what to expect from his Negan when The Walking Dead returns with season 7 on Oct. 23 on AMC.

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: You came on set for the finale to film that one scene and then had a long break before starting on season 7. How much were you thinking about this character during that time off and how you wanted to approach him?

JEFFREY DEAN MORGAN: I sure thought about him a lot. I have stacks of all the comic books, and what I have taken from those panels is a posture or a smile or whatever it is, and then filling those blanks in between. And as closely as we follow what Negan says and does in those comic books, we also have to add and subtract. We’ve added a lot, obviously, that’s not in the comic books with Negan. Not only trying to keep his language and his persona, but it’s how he walks and how he stands and all that kind of stuff.

I’ve created this whole kind of physical presence that is unlike anything I’ve ever done before, kind of how he moves. My move now for Negan and what I’ve taken physically from him is a kind of lean-back smile, which I saw in one panel one time. I’ve taken that and run with it. What I have found in doing it and seeing a little bit of playback is it is really unsettling because it just shows this kind of comfort and casualness that Negan has in these horrendous situations when he’s doing his thing.

RELATED: Hear what TV shows to watch and avoid this fall

Watching you on set, it seems like your Negan is a little bit less manic than the comic version, but with this disarming charm and what-me worry smile that could erupt into violence at any second, which makes him even more disturbing in a way. Do you notice any differences between your Negan and the original?

This is unlike anything I’ve ever done as far as a character. I mean, Negan is just an original. I could try to draw parallels with say, the Comedian, and I’ve done a couple of other bad guys, but I’ve never done anybody like Negan.

And as far as similarities with the comic book, yeah, he might be a little bit more manic, but understand that I’ve got to connect those panels together and how Negan does that, there’s not a script for. So the writers will give me the material and then it’s about okay, well, how can I make that work? I’ve got to make this guy real, you know what I mean?

I think that was the key — if I just make this guy manic and kind of one dimensional then I don’t have anywhere to go. So I thought, for me, and especially after doing that first episode, the introduction, and some head bashing, there had to be a place I could go. I try to make every scene a little bit of a rollercoaster so you don’t know. So it’ll keep you on your toes of where Negan is, and I only have so much I can go on working on the comic book. Then I get all this dialogue. How can I make that make sense and make it effective for the other actors that I’m working with?

So what we’ve created is very disarming. I think there is this f—ing charm and devil may care, but you’re going to do it my way. But he does it with a smile. But when that violence comes, there is no doubting what this guy is going to do and how he’s going to do it, and I think we’ve established that very early on, that at any given moment you can die in front of Negan. What I hope is that it does make it scarier. I think after the premiere airs this year, I think the audience is going to get a very good idea of what Negan is capable of. So if there’s a scene where he’s smiling and people are like, “What the f—? He’s not a badass.” Well, just watch, because at any given minute, you know, Lucille is going to take your f—ing head off and he’s going to do it with that same smile. That’s the thing.

Top Bottom