Robinson: The Tony Romo backup debacle didn't teach Cowboys anything

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Dak turns out to be something, I think it's pretty fair to say we lucked into him, since we had him very low on our draft board. For all the risk taking this team takes, it seems most of the big payoffs are low risk picks and signings.
Any time you hit on a QB outside of the top 40 picks or so it's lucking into them. I really hope Dak works out long term here. Hell even as a really good backup a late fourth is worth it.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Let's just say he was due and leave it at that.

Dallas' defense is so bad we must have a real QB making plays. In Houston Weeden beat the Colts (sans Luck), Titans, and Jags on a team with a very strong defense, exciting WR, and good running game.

Had the Cowboys any semblance of a defense he might have won here too.
You left the most important reason he won in Houston and not here. The coach. Let's just say that was the reason and leave it at that.

Cotton

Staff member
Exactly.

Weeden sucks, make no mistake about it. But when you combine his limitations as a QB with the limitations of Garrett's scheme and coaching ability, it gives the guy very little chance for success and that is why he didn't win a single game for us but yet went to Houston and won.

It's not a coincidence.
This is correct.

townsend

Banned
Any time you hit on a QB outside of the top 40 picks or so it's lucking into them. I really hope Dak works out long term here. Hell even as a really good backup a late fourth is worth it.
No doubt. Of course with the QB famine that's happened in this league the line between really good backup and serviceable starter is fine.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No doubt. Of course with the QB famine that's happened in this league the line between really good backup and serviceable starter is fine.
No kidding and it's why career backup is a hard thing to find. If you're a really good backup for 4 years, some NFL team is likely to offer you are contract to become a starter.

I'm actually a little impressed by Dallas's dedication in scouting this entire QB class really in depth. A few guys we liked have looked very good. Paxton Lynch, Connor Cook and Dak were all QBs that could have easily landed in Dallas and all 3 guys have showed well so far.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
If Dak turns out to be something, I think it's pretty fair to say we lucked into him, since we had him very low on our draft board. For all the risk taking this team takes, it seems most of the big payoffs are low risk picks and signings.
But the team had him in for more than just one visit, didn't they?

We knew they had interest before the draft.

townsend

Banned
But the team had him in for more than just one visit, didn't they?

We knew they had interest before the draft.
Yeah, obviously he'd been very evaluated and ranked. My point was that they didn't see that he was this hidden gem. If Dallas had had their way they would have drafted Goff, Wentz, Lynch or Cook first. Dak was their bottom of the barrel that they had to settle for when none of the other QBs they ranked over him were available.

Cotton

Staff member
I thought at one point we had him as like a 2nd rounder. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Cotton

Staff member

townsend

Banned
I thought I had seen it somewhere. It was in an article I posted earlier today.

It started in March when there was talk the Cowboys were so in love with Prescott that the team was considering a high 2nd round pick.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2016/08/15/sturm-cowboys-morning-dak-prescotts-debut
In that leaked draft board it said they had him as a 4th.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016/7/18/12208248/all-seven-rounds-of-dallas-cowboys-2016-draft-board-possibly-revealed

I'd have been pretty livid if we thought Dak was a 2nd round quality QB and passed on him in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th.

Cotton

Staff member
Boy this article looks a lot different today. :lol

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You left the most important reason he won in Houston and not here. The coach. Let's just say that was the reason and leave it at that.
No doubt about it. In Dallas the QB has covered for everyone in management since 2006.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
If it's true they asked for a third, wonder if Cleveland is regretting setting the price tag for mccown so high. Probably.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If it's true they asked for a third, wonder if Cleveland is regretting setting the price tag for mccown so high. Probably.
I hadn't seen they asked for a third but dear god, they must have really thought they found a desperate sucker in Jerry Jones.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Apparently it was a fourth they asked for, which is still ridiculously high.

Browns Want Fourth-Rounder For Josh McCown
August 13th, 2016 at 6:28pm CST • By Dallas Robinson
The Browns don’t appear willing to simply give away Josh McCown, as Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports indicates that Cleveland is demanding “no less than fourth-round pick” for the veteran quarterback. The Cowboys, the club that’s been most heavily linked to McCown, aren’t willing to trade “anything of value,” per Robinson, who suggests that Dallas would only part with a pick in the sixth round or later."<strong

[RELATED: Cowboys not interested in Johnny Manziel]

The Cowboys’ depth chart behind Tony Romo was already thin as the team headed into training camp, and became even more so when backup Kellen Moore suffered a leg injury during a practice session that will sideline him for three-to-four months. Dallas was thought to have interest in free agent Nick Foles before he signed with the Chiefs, and were reportedly considering other options such as Mike Glennon (who, like McCown, would’ve have to been traded for), Jimmy Clausen, and Josh Freeman.

The Browns, meanwhile, have seemingly braced McCown for a possible deal, as a report last week indicated that the club had spoken with McCown about the mechanics of a trade. Cleveland has already named Robert Griffin III its starting quarterback, and while there is certainly value in retaining a high-end reserve, the team’s reluctance to deal McCown could simply be posturing in the hopes that they can net a higher return. The Browns used a 2016 third-round pick on USC quarterback Cody Kessler, and signed fellow backup Austin Davis to an extension last season, so unless the club wants to keep four signal-callers on the roster, there doesn’t appear to be room for McCown.

While the Browns boast depth at QB, the Cowboys do not, as they only other available options behind Romo are fourth-round rookie Dak Prescott and 2015 undrafted free agent Jameill Showers, neither of whom has ever attempted an NFL pass.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
So we should be able to get him for only a 4th now, right?

The price just went down. :towel

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Damn I missed Gengh's post.

McCown for a 5th now?

Top Bottom