2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Usually it's because they don't care what they do to get what they want. Legal or not. Well, for an overly ambitious person that is. Cutting corners. Deleting emails (j/k kind of). That is my interpretation of why at least.
Exactly.

Genghis Khan

And that could be attributed to anybody who has run for president in the last 70 years.

Go back and read up on LBJ, Nixon, Kennedy or Eisenhower.
Eh. I don't think that's true. For some it's true. Certainly true for Nixon and LbJ.

I don't think we want that as our gold standard, regardless.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Eh. I don't think that's true. For some it's true. Certainly true for Nixon and LbJ.

I don't think we want that as our gold standard, regardless.
It's debatable but who out of the 30 or so candidates we have had since 2000 who fit the not overly ambitious?

My point is why is that used as a hammer against Hillary and not say Cruz?

townsend

Banned
It's debatable but who out of the 30 or so candidates we have had since 2000 who fit the not overly ambitious?

Cruz got drummed out of the Bush administration for being a spotlight stealing little weasel. But I don't think he would have had any legitimate chance at the presidency. His weasel nature would have come under spotlight and probably have been a big part of his media portrayal.

I think we want politicians that act like they aren't ambitious even when they are. I think that's why Clinton, Bush, and Obama all tried to cultivate a laid back persona. Hillary's nakedly ambitious which is off putting for most people, but especially for a woman really rubs people the wrong way.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Argue qualifications all you want, to anyone who values a fair and balanced SCOTUS she is not a choice.
To that point, neither would any conservative candidate.

The court has gotten to politicized and neither party is looking at qualifications as much as they are about ideology.

2233boys

Not So New Member

I'd argue that Bernie Sanders wasn't running because of ambition.

I think their ambition argument leans to her career moves have been training spots or stepping stones for the POTUS position. That is all she ever really cared about, and I tend to agree.

townsend

Banned

I think their ambition argument leans to her career moves have been training spots or stepping stones for the POTUS position. That is all she ever really cared about, and I tend to agree.
I'd say you're right about Sanders. That's what made him such an attractive candidate. But it's also the reason that he was fighting against the grain the entire primary. I also think it's weakened him as a candidate, there were more than a few times that Sanders got caught off guard by an issue that wasn't his talking point. I think a lack of ambition made him more out of touch with some vital issues (such as our energy portfolio).

I don't think anyone could argue that Clinton has a level of knowledge that dwarfs every single other candidate on either side of the aisle. Her ambition is a big part of that.

Genghis Khan

You said the last 70 years, not since 2000.

Cruz isn't currently running, which is why I didn't say Cruz. However, to indulge your non-sequitur, I DID have those very same caveats regarding Cruz and I've said as much in this thread when it was relevant. Cruz has mostly allayed those fears for me, however, by standing up to Trump.

I have the same dangerously ambitious fears about Trump btw, but I didn't state it in that post because the context was about Hillary.

Since 2000...I'm not going to list everyone, but Ron Paul, Rand Paul, Joe Lieberman, and John McCain, as examples.

To clarify, by dangerously ambitious I mean willing to do ANYTHING, including break major laws and trampling the constitution, to get elected. In other words I'm talking about more than just morally deficient.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Maybe not his driving factor but there is some ambition mixed in there.

And Hillary taking the proper training spots is an issue why?

She used the the established playbook to being president, why is that now a mortal sin?

She has a real record of public service which is ignored when using the too ambitious narrative.

Being ambitious was once considered a prime trait of being an american now it's not when concerning Clinton.

Genghis Khan

Cruz got drummed out of the Bush administration for being a spotlight stealing little weasel. But I don't think he would have had any legitimate chance at the presidency. His weasel nature would have come under spotlight and probably have been a big part of his media portrayal.

I think we want politicians that act like they aren't ambitious even when they are. I think that's why Clinton, Bush, and Obama all tried to cultivate a laid back persona. Hillary's nakedly ambitious which is off putting for most people, but especially for a woman really rubs people the wrong way.
One thing that has solidified that perception of Hillary for me is the emails from the DNC plotting to discredit Sanders and manipulate the media. Major smoking gun.

But, she started with that naked ambition. Domiciling in NY and running for Senate. She didn't care about that job or her NY constituates. It was all with an eye on the white house from day one and it was obvious.

Most politicians start at the bottom with a local / state level focus.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You said the last 70 years, not since 2000.

Cruz isn't currently running, which is why I didn't say Cruz. However, to indulge your non-sequitur, I DID have those very same caveats regarding Cruz and I've said as much in this thread when it was relevant. Cruz has mostly allayed those fears for me, however, by standing up to Trump.

I have the same dangerously ambitious fears about Trump btw, but I didn't state it in that post because the context was about Hillary.

Since 2000...I'm not going to list everyone, but Ron Paul, Rand Paul, Joe Lieberman, and John McCain, as examples.

To clarify, by dangerously ambitious I mean willing to do ANYTHING, including break major laws and trampling the constitution, to get elected. In other words I'm talking about more than just morally deficient.
This is a matter of opinion so we will differ on the ambitious line of demarcation.

But Hillary has broken no major laws or trampled the constitution to be president so how is she dangerously ambitious?

And I think Ron and Rand were both very ambitious and both have done things to compromise their morals.

townsend

Banned
One thing that has solidified that perception of Hillary for me is the emails from the DNC plotting to discredit Sanders and manipulate the media. Major smoking gun.

But, she started with that naked ambition. Domiciling in NY and running for Senate. She didn't care about that job or her NY constituates. It was all with an eye on the white house from day one and it was obvious.

Most politicians start at the bottom with a local / state level focus.
I will say that Hillary's co sponsoring the post 9-11 GI Bill is a big deal to me(since it's the only reason I can be in college right now) I'm not saying she didn't just make a stop in the senate for the resume bullet (she absolutely did), but she took care of her constituents in that instance more than a lot of longer tenured Senators have.

2233boys

Not So New Member
Maybe not his driving factor but there is some ambition mixed in there.

And Hillary taking the proper training spots is an issue why?

She used the the established playbook to being president, why is that now a mortal sin?

She has a real record of public service which is ignored when using the too ambitious narrative.

Being ambitious was once considered a prime trait of being an american now it's not when concerning Clinton.
Not necessarily saying it is an issue, but her only purpose for anything she has ever done (since she was Flotus), was to be president. It makes her seem calculating and insincere. Ambition is one thing, but ambition as our only driving force, (man or woman) tends to turn folks off.

I question whether or not she really cares about the issues she talks about or is just saying what she needs to say to gain votes. Like the President in 08 I think she says what she thinks she needs to say to gain votes.

She was late to marriage rights, late to Iraq war, late to income inequality, late to most progressive values, yet since she saw that is the direction the Democratic Party was leaning, she jumped on board. One minute she says call me a moderate then the next day she's a progressive that likes to get things done.

To me, she is an ambitious opportunist, and nothing more. I don't want a president like that.

BipolarFuk

Demoted

Got that right.

The majority of men are scared shitless and intimidated by strong women.

Genghis Khan

This is a matter of opinion so we will differ on the ambitious line of demarcation.

But Hillary has broken no major laws or trampled the constitution to be president so how is she dangerously ambitious?

And I think Ron and Rand were both very ambitious and both have done things to compromise their morals.
I said MORE THAN just compromising morals.

Again, this isn't just ambition I'm talking about. It's willing to cross just about any line you could imagine. Think Watergate and worse.

It's the way I see her. It's even more true of trump btw. At least Hillary I think has some competence. At least Hillary I think has some Machiavellian purpose to her (as in, her endgame is probably to improve the country), as opposed to Trump who appears to be just pure, unadulterated ego.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Not necessarily saying it is an issue, but her only purpose for anything she has ever done (since she was Flotus), was to be president. It makes her seem calculating and insincere. Ambition is one thing, but ambition as our only driving force, (man or woman) tends to turn folks off.

I question whether or not she really cares about the issues she talks about or is just saying what she needs to say to gain votes. Like the President in 08 I think she says what she thinks she needs to say to gain votes.

She was late to marriage rights, late to Iraq war, late to income inequality, late to most progressive values, yet since she saw that is the direction the Democratic Party was leaning, she jumped on board. One minute she says call me a moderate then the next day she's a progressive that likes to get things done.

To me, she is an ambitious opportunist, and nothing more. I don't want a president like that.
That's your opinion and even if true, so what?

There is usually a a path one takes to become president, if you look at everybody who has run outside of Trump they have used the senate or a governorship as a means to become president.

I understand why these traits can turn people off I just don't understand why they are used against Hillary to such a degree.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I said MORE THAN just compromising morals.

Again, this isn't just ambition I'm talking about. It's willing to cross just about any line you could imagine. Think Watergate and worse.

It's the way I see her. It's even more true of trump btw. At least Hillary I think has some competence. At least Hillary I think has some Machiavellian purpose to her (as in, her endgame is probably to improve the country), as opposed to Trump who appears to be just pure, unadulterated ego.
I understand what you are saying we just differ on how much Hillary is different than any other candidate.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

Jiggyfly

Banned
And I am glad that Hillary is not skating through this election, it is good that there is a contingent that will continue to hold her feet to the fire, but they also need to understand they are not the only constituency she will have to listen to.

2233boys

Not So New Member
That's your opinion and even if true, so what?

There is usually a a path one takes to become president, if you look at everybody who has run outside of Trump they have used the senate or a governorship as a means to become president.

I understand why these traits can turn people off I just don't understand why they are used against Hillary to such a degree.
You are right, it is my opinion, never said it was anymore.

I think I addressed why i believe her driving ambition to be president only and her record of saying whatever she thinks will gain her a vote, lend me to believe she gets hammered for it. She seems seem calculating and insincere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom