PFT: Week 16 playoff scenarios - Cowboys can clinch

Jiggyfly

Banned
We have only had this playoff setup for 12 years. Prior to that we had a playoff setup that made it far less likely for a losing team to win a division.
This playoff setup is not radically different and it's not the reason these teams suck.

data

Forbes #1
:lol

Hell why not 32 teams with double digit wins.

Oh wait because that's statistically impossible. Much like 20 teams with double digit wins.
Possible if regular season is expanded 4 games. Goodell says, 'suck it. cha-ching'

Smitty

DCC 4Life
By that you mean a 12 year history?
No, I mean the long time history that has Dallas slated in a division with NY, Philly, and Washington.... Green Bay in a division with Minnesota, Chicago, and Detroit... etc.

To me the playoffs are about getting the best teams competing against the best teams. Not sure what the point of a playoffs system that rewards teams for having a weak division. Basically saying we don't care how good a team is when it comes to the playoffs. We only care how weak the other teams in their division are.
Actually it's not saying that.... it's what you are inferring.

What I'm saying is that if you don't win your division, that means for 16 weeks, you were not the best team in your division. Why should that entitle you to a shot at the Super Bowl any more than finishing 8-8 does? You'd have already proven over 16 weeks that you aren't the best team.

It's just a matter of preference. I think winning the division should entitle you to a playoff berth. It's very rare that it happens that a sub-.500 team wins the division.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It was a big deal when Seattle did it 4 years ago. It's not a once a decade thing. This has nothing to do with the Cowboys. If it had something to do with the Cowboys we would be talking about changing it before playoffs this year. That's obviously not going to happen. Long term it is an issue though and it will probably come up again in the near future when another shit team is looking to make the playoffs because they play in a shit conference.
It was a big deal then and then they whipped the Saints.

Quit being in denial. You are ass hurt because Dallas might get shafted out.

I just get a kick out of our fans now.

They are all about playoff equity and shit.

Fagmos.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
And think of the current system. Is Arizona truly one of the best teams right now? They might have the first-third best record but who the eff thinks they make the Super Bowl with their QB situation?

It cuts both ways.

This idea that the "best teams" make the playoffs eliminates the recent trend where slow starting teams have been able to win titles.

Honestly, I don't see a big issue. This kind of thing happens once a decade and it just seems like a big deal now because it affects the Cowboys.
Might as well go with the Jerruh/NBA plan then and let in 16 teams. :tehj

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a big deal then and then they whipped the Saints.

Quit being in denial. You are ass hurt because Dallas might get shafted out.

I just get a kick out of our fans now.

They are all about playoff equity and shit.

Fagmos.
You keep insisting this has something to do with Dallas and yet you're the only butt hurt one bringing them up. I'm totally ok with an 11-5 team missing the playoffs. I have a bigger problem with a bullshit 7-9 team making the playoffs.

People do understand that having 5 teams in a division made it far less likely to be a division winner with a losing record right? Or do some people on this board need a remedial math class?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, I mean the long time history that has Dallas slated in a division with NY, Philly, and Washington.... Green Bay in a division with Minnesota, Chicago, and Detroit... etc.
You do realize that about 12 years ago Dallas was slated in a division with the Cardinals as well right?

data

Forbes #1
We should have a system where a computer calculates victories with strength of schedule, dominance in wins and other variables. Who's to say a 10-6 wild card with shitty 4th place opponent schedule is better than an 8-8 division winner?

We wouldn't even need the playoffs and could just play one title game.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
We should have a system where a computer calculates victories with strength of schedule, dominance in wins and other variables. Who's to say a 10-6 wild card with shitty 4th place opponent schedule is better than an 8-8 division winner?

:lol :towel

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Just have the computer do the title game as well.

Jiggyfly

Banned
You keep insisting this has something to do with Dallas and yet you're the only butt hurt one bringing them up. I'm totally ok with an 11-5 team missing the playoffs. I have a bigger problem with a bullshit 7-9 team making the playoffs.

People do understand that having 5 teams in a division made it far less likely to be a division winner with a losing record right? Or do some people on this board need a remedial math class?
I guess I need remedial math because I don't understand why an extra division team makes more difference when you are still playing 16 games, If you suck you suck.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I guess I need remedial math because I don't understand why an extra division team makes more difference when you are still playing 16 games, If you suck you suck.
I am all for the current format, but having said that...are you serious? You do not understand that with 4 divisions that is 1 more guaranteed playoff spot than having 3 divisions like back in the day?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The odds of an entire division sucking is reduced significantly. For example the NFC South this year is a festering pile of crap. The odds of a fifth team in their division also being a festering pile of crap is not likely at all. Possible sure, but extremely unlikely yes. When you go from 3 division winner to 4 you're increasing the odds that one of those division winners would be shit. The odds of having 5 shitty teams in a division and then not have at least one of those shitty teams beat up on the rest of them to a 8 win season is just not very likely. Because 8 of those games are against really shitty opponents.

This is why we saw the first 7-9 team in the playoffs with the Seahawks after realignment. We now have a really good chance of seeing our second losing record team in the playoffs since realignment. None of this ever happened before realignment.

Jiggyfly

Banned
The odds of an entire division sucking is reduced significantly. For example the NFC South this year is a festering pile of crap. The odds of a fifth team in their division also being a festering pile of crap is not likely at all. Possible sure, but extremely unlikely yes. When you go from 3 division winner to 4 you're increasing the odds that one of those division winners would be shit. The odds of having 5 shitty teams in a division and then not have at least one of those shitty teams beat up on the rest of them to a 8 win season is just not very likely. Because 8 of those games are against really shitty opponents.

This is why we saw the first 7-9 team in the playoffs with the Seahawks after realignment. We now have a really good chance of seeing our second losing record team in the playoffs since realignment. None of this ever happened before realignment.
Yeah I see what you mean, but I don't think this tilts the odds that much.

And lets see what NO's actual record is before we continue to be riled up.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah I see what you mean, but I don't think this tilts the odds that much.

And lets see what NO's actual record is before we continue to be riled up.
You're right, it's still possible a 6 win Carolina team could come out of that division setting an all time low. Jesus, could you imagine winning 6 games and thinking playoffs?

townsend

Banned
I don't think it would destroy the current system if you just had a rule that to make it to the playoffs you have to have at least an 8-8 season, and have the #1 wildcard take their spot in the playoffs, with the next highest record earning the last wildcard spot.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think division winners should get in, but they should not automatically get a higher seed based on being a division winner. For instance...this year the NFCS winner should be the 6 seed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes, I do realize and it doesn't change my point in the slightest. You do realize that, don't you?
Sure it does. You refer to the history of the division. The NFC South that is stinking up the place didn't even exist 13 years ago. So yeah there really isn't any long standing history that you claim.

Top Bottom