Murray hand surgery

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yeah, recall it happened the night he broke Walter Payton's record, we were playing Minnesota. He had like a buck~fitty that night. He was demon possessed that night.
He didn't break the record, but he very well could have.

150 yards by halftime.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Really doesn't look all that hampering. I would guess the pain will hamper him more than the protective equipment.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Really doesn't look all that hampering. I would guess the pain will hamper him more than the protective equipment.
Yep. It's a matter of pain endurance and ball protection.. I think he plays and I think we will see quite a bit of Randal.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I don't see any issue especially since it's his off hand. I rarely see him switch hands anyway. Maybe run him 15-20 times and let Panty Thief and Doobar get some carries in.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
He didn't break the record, but he very well could have.

150 yards by halftime.
He broke the record for most yards by halftime. Could have easily broken the single game rushing record, IMO, that Corey Dillon ended up breaking.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I don't see any issue especially since it's his off hand. I rarely see him switch hands anyway. Maybe run him 15-20 times and let Panty Thief and Doobar get some carries in.
It will hurt like crazy in pass protection and every defender is going to swat at it until he re-earns respect.

I'm kind of expecting another fumble and at least one dropped pass.

vince

Not So New Member
Per Jason Garrett's press conference this morning, Murray hasnt practiced yet, like at all. He only participated in warmup drills. Not looking good for him to play.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Yeah, recall it happened the night he broke Walter Payton's record, we were playing Minnesota. He had like a buck~fitty that night. He was demon possessed that night.
The single game rushing record. But he didn't break it. He was running great, and had something like 150 yards at the half, but broke his hand right before half on a TD carry. That was the game right after Payton had died, and Emmitt had dedicated his game to him before hand. Emmitt didn't play the second half, and during the first drive of the 2nd half, we lost Aikman after he got splashed by 360lb Jerry Ball. Vikings came back to win it in the end. I was at that game... Sucked.

That was also the game Duane Clemons punched Flozell Adams in the nuts.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Flozell needed punched in the nuts. A few times.

D

Deuce

Per Jason Garrett's press conference this morning, Murray hasnt practiced yet, like at all. He only participated in warmup drills. Not looking good for him to play.
There's really no need not to play him. It's his non-ball carrying hand. Give him a little more rest throughout the game but he can run.

p1_

DCC 4Life
There's really no need not to play him. It's his non-ball carrying hand. Give him a little more rest throughout the game but he can run.
I suppose you think he won't try to stiff arm anyone with that empty hand?

Jiggyfly

Banned
You can't stiff arm with one small broken bone in 1 finger that is covered in padding?
Uh no, at least not consistently.

That is a an area that has been traumatized and is probably still swollen, you also have to factor in his ability to break his fall with that hand and blocking (which is probaly my biggest worry) even if he has a high pain tolerance he is going to favor that hand.

D

Deuce

Uh no, at least not consistently.

That is a an area that has been traumatized and is probably still swollen, you also have to factor in his ability to break his fall with that hand and blocking (which is probaly my biggest worry) even if he has a high pain tolerance he is going to favor that hand.
My biggest worry is catching the ball. I would play him only on 1st and 2nd down and limit the opportunities he has to catch or block. But protecting that bone can be done with padding and if it doesn't work, big deal. It's not an injury that will become a chronic issue. Worst that can happen is rebreaking it and so you have another surgery. Stephania Bell said there is a liklihood that this bone is now stronger than the others because of the hardware in place and so rebreaking it would be difficult. This is simply a pain issue.

If Romo can play with a broken back, this dude needs to nut up with the playoffs on the line.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DeMarco Murray says decision on playing this week will be up to him

Posted by Josh Alper on December 18, 2014, 5:09 PM EST

Cowboys running back DeMarco Murray moved up from unofficial participant in practice to limited participant in practice on Thursday and said that his surgically repaired left hand is feeling good.

That keeps hope that Murray, who is wearing a plastic protective shell over the broken bone in his hand, can play on Sunday against the Colts very much alive.

“I’m a very competitive person and I want to help this team out as much I can, so whatever that portrays me doing Sunday, then we’ll see,” Murray said, via ESPNDallas.com. “But I’ve had two good days, and we’ll see how it goes.”

Murray said that the ultimate decision about playing will be up to him, something that owner Jerry Jones confirmed when he said that doctors told him that Murray “has to tell us if he feels like playing or not” and that it is about how Murray feels rather than strategy. Barring a change in Murray’s condition in the next 24 hours, it sounds like he’s headed for a questionable tag on Friday and the words coming out of Cowboys camp have the needle pointed in the direction of playing.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Murray said that the ultimate decision about playing will be up to him, something that owner Jerry Jones confirmed when he said that doctors told him that Murray “has to tell us if he feels like playing or not”.
Here's his chance to grab a bit of the mystique that Emmitt enjoys over being "tough". He's still getting mileage out of that game against the Giants where he played hurt and led the team to the division title, and rightfully so.

If Murray can have a big game against the Colts in a win, I'm not saying he'd reach Emmitt's status, but it sure would be a nice cherry on top of the big season he's having.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Another reason why I think he'll probably play is it might diminish his contract value a little if he sits.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
My biggest worry is catching the ball. I would play him only on 1st and 2nd down and limit the opportunities he has to catch or block. But protecting that bone can be done with padding and if it doesn't work, big deal. It's not an injury that will become a chronic issue. Worst that can happen is rebreaking it and so you have another surgery. Stephania Bell said there is a liklihood that this bone is now stronger than the others because of the hardware in place and so rebreaking it would be difficult. This is simply a pain issue.

If Romo can play with a broken back, this dude needs to nut up with the playoffs on the line.
I saw the same Bell article and I agree with you that he should play. Unless there is legit concern about his ability to effectively protect the ball, I think the coaches should allow him to play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I saw the same Bell article and I agree with you that he should play. Unless there is legit concern about his ability to effectively protect the ball, I think the coaches should allow him to play.
Anyone who has broken a bone in there hand knows it's not that horribly painful.

Top Bottom