ESPN the Magazine feature: Jerry Football

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How can you take those rumours seriously when the ownership was still in doubt.

And who if he was hired would it even work with somebody else it was a perfect storm with Jerry and Jimmy, with the key word being storm. :lol
That's the first I have heard of this as well.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
How can you take those rumours seriously when the ownership was still in doubt.

And who if he was hired would it even work with somebody else it was a perfect storm with Jerry and Jimmy, with the key word being storm. :lol
Just like I can't say for sure that it would happen. You can't say it wouldn't. I was just commenting that he may have been here anyways. If I recall correctly all the Jimmy Johnson rumors were the year before the sale of the team.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Just like I can't say for sure that it would happen. You can't say it wouldn't. I was just commenting that he may have been here anyways. If I recall correctly all the Jimmy Johnson rumors were the year before the sale of the team.
I remember reading that he was who Schramm wanted to hire but he couldn't get Landry to retire and I'm sure he would have recommended Jimmy to the new owners, but other than that who knows what would have happened.

Jiggyfly

Banned
And like I said even if he was here who knows if it would have worked the same.

Do you think he would have had full control under any other ownership?

I know it pains many to give Jerry any credit whatsoever, but he created that situation in the 90's it was probably dumb luck but he created it none the less.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I give credit where its deserved. I will give Jerry credit for being distracted and not putting himself ahead of the team.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Other times, Jones blamed Johnson's covert acts of disloyalty, skulduggery and pettiness for their breakup. "There was just an undermining that went on," Jones says.
At the Ritz-Carlton, I first asked Jones why he had not honored Johnson; after all, he had coached the Cowboys to two Super Bowl titles in five years, while it took Landry 29 years to win the same number. Jones responded with a convoluted explanation about Johnson failing to meet the standards favoring players established long ago by Tex Schramm, whom Jones himself had put in the Ring of Honor in 2003. (Jones had honored Landry in 1993.) Weeks later, Jones struggled to answer the same question during our on-camera interview at Valley Ranch, insisting that his decision is not personal.

But it is.

Onboard his plane, with Gene sitting in a leather chair across from us, Jones spits out the reason Johnson isn't in the Ring of Honor: "Disloyalty ... I couldn't handle the disloyalty. Whether it was right or not, by every measurement you can go, I had paid so many times a higher price to get to be there than he had paid, it was unbelievable. ... By any way you wanna measure it, wear and tear, pain, worry, butt kickin', the criticism -- everything in the book!"
:lol

So the greatest sports GM fraud to ever walk the face of the earth...Mr PT Barnum Jones....is all butt hurt over Johnsons disloyalty...but yet he lied and deceived the Arlington folks so he could get his stadium. And worse than that, he lies, deceives, and shucks and jives loyal lifelong Cowboys fans year after year promising to put a better product on the field. Every year, Jones promises change, but never delivers.

“There was just an undermining that went on,” Jones says of his time working with Johnson. “It’s subtle. It’s smart. … I lost my tolerance of having an associate, a friend, not be loyal. I’ve been told, ‘That’s trite. You should be bigger than that.’ I mean, really — am I so dumb that I don’t know you don’t fire a coach after y’all just won two straight Super Bowls?”
And undermining? Holy shit...lets not even go there.

That "man in the mirror" sure as fuck doesn't talk much back to Jones.

Jones wants to win another Super Bowl for many reasons. But one of the biggest is it would prove to the world he can do it without Johnson

And its why I hope to NEVER see Jones win another title as GM of this team. To win a SB would vindicate all the shitty things he has done to mire this franchise in mediocrity for years.

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
And its why I hope to NEVER see Jones win another title as GM of this team. To win a SB would vindicate all the shitty things he has done to mire this franchise in mediocrity for years.
You say it numerous times daily... That Jones will never step down. That it will take his death to remove him from the GM spot. And even then, Stephen will take over.

So even after knowing that, why would you want to spite yourself out of seeing a winner by hoping to NEVER see another title in Dallas? It's one thing to believe they aren't good enough to win one. Why would you also hope for it? You need a hug or something? Damn, Unk.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't care how we win again...I'll take what I can get.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones surprised at how much lengthy feature story mentioned him drinking alcohol
By Jon Machota jmachota@dallasnews.com
11:12 am on August 29, 2014 |

While talking to a group of reporters outside of the Dallas Cowboys locker room late Thursday night, Jerry Jones addressed many of the topics covered in a feature story about him that was published earlier in the day.

An over 10,000-word piece by ESPN senior writer Don Van Natta Jr. touched on several aspects of Jones’ career, ranging from regrets about not drafting Johnny Manziel to not having plans to put Jimmy Johnson in the Ring of Honor.

Jones told the media members gathered around him for roughly 20 minutes that he hadn’t read the article. During a Friday morning radio interview, it was apparent the Cowboys owner and general manager had finally looked it over.

“I think the writer got his facts accurate when it was a need to have an accurate fact,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM]. “He did it through his eyes, and that’s fine. That’s what we bargained for.”

But one particular aspect bothered Jones. He didn’t like how much the consumption of alcohol was mentioned.

“This surprised me very much, there was a ton of emphasis on drinking Johnnie Walker Blue,” Jones said. “I think that is intended to make it, I guess, colorful, make it have a little bit of zing to it. But it did occupy a lot of that material, having drinks. And he didn’t just do it with me, he obviously did it with guys like [Tony] Romo. He really went into big description about him having a long neck Miller and drinking it all the way down past the neck, that kind of stuff.

“That surprised me a little bit, dwelling in that particular area because there were a lot of other things, of course, that we talked about. But that’s the way it goes. As they say, that’s the way it go.”

Jones didn’t try to say he wasn’t sipping on expensive whisky as much as the writer portrayed, Jones just wanted it to be clear that he wasn’t always drinking and having fun.

He was often serious, however, it didn’t always come across that way.

“I, under the right circumstances, and we were under them, the writer, Don Van Natta, we traveled, and we’d get through talking and we’d still be traveling and we would have a little bit of social time,” Jones explained. “I think that was reflected there. … Really it was kind of the right framework to have a drink while you’re talking about that stuff. Those are the kinds of things when you sit around and have a beer or whatever, that’s the kind of almost casual talk that you have.

“Now, the problem with that is, of course, that it’s very important that you some how portray when you were being serious or when you weren’t taking yourself seriously, or when you were just having some kind of good conversation.”

UncleMilti

Staff member
You say it numerous times daily... That Jones will never step down. That it will take his death to remove him from the GM spot. And even then, Stephen will take over.

So even after knowing that, why would you want to spite yourself out of seeing a winner by hoping to NEVER see another title in Dallas? It's one thing to believe they aren't good enough to win one. Why would you also hope for it? You need a hug or something? Damn, Unk.
The reasons are too many...but the simplest way I can put is that I grew up absolutely worshipping the Cowboys. The last 15 years have been terrible, for the most part, as a true Cowboys fan.

The more desperate Jones has become, the more he has been unable to modulate what flows out of his mouth. Its been a very revealing 6-7 years, and the only hope for anything to turn around is for him to lose his marbles, die, or hand the reins over to Stephen. I have never liked liers and con artists, and Jones is a bit of both.

I never said I didn't want the Cowboys to ever win a SB again..I said as long as Jerry Jones is the GM.

Lets face it...its been almost 20 years since the last one....and Jones doesn't have 20 years left...so at least there is that.

Last edited:

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The guy probably has 10 more years left as GM. If it was up to me, he'd win 10 superbowls and I wouldn't give a rat's ass if he took every ounce of credit. All I'd care about is that my favorite team had won.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's the first I have heard of this as well.
Schramm was in pursuit of Johnson to be Landry's defensive coordinator and heir apparent.

Thing is, Landry resisted giving up control and did not want to abandon the flex.

It was more flirt than substance but it happened.

UncleMilti

Staff member
The guy probably has 10 more years left as GM. If it was up to me, he'd win 10 superbowls and I wouldn't give a rat's ass if he took every ounce of credit. All I'd care about is that my favorite team had won.
Yep....and a smart Cowboys fan should be prepared for 10 more years of 8-8, 6-10 or even worse seasons.

Theres not one thing that shows me Jones is going to suddenly wake up and know how to build a football team that can win a SB.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Not too much that isn't common knowledge but still a very good read and pretty objective. It does confirm some things that most of us knew and elaborates on some of them.

If I owned the Cowboys and hadn't won fuck all but 1 playoff game in 20 years my ego wouldn't let me continue dicking around like this idiot.
In people with egos like Jones it doesn't matter, especially if he has built in excuses for the team's futility regardless of whether or not his actions or lack thereof are a core reason for that futility. His driving forces seem to be recognition, money and prestige. Owning the team takes care of the latter two but ironically, if he truly ceded some authority and the team returned to dominance on the field, it would bring even more money and prestige. The problem is, he would have to relinquish some of the recognition and his ego won't allow that. Just look at how he said that last SB meant more to him than the first two. Bottom line, being validated as a football guy and the recognition that goes along with it is as or more important than the money or prestige. He had the "500 coaches" quote and still some obvious bitterness that Jimmy is even mentioned in conjunction with those first two SB titles.

I also figured that alcohol played something of a role in things and it sounds as though he has a long standing issue with it. Based on reading this, he would probably qualify as a high functioning alcoholic but even a HFA has lapses in judgement. I qualify as one of those but even I couldn't drink until 5 AM than go on TV two hours latter. He's likely self medicating for a mental disorder (Been there) and I wouldn't be surprised if he actually has low self esteem and requires validation to be happy.

Eh. Enough armchair analysis. We're screwed as long as he feels the need to be front and center but we already knew that.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

UncleMilti

Staff member

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Watching that OTL piece morning, I thought the same thing. He tries to be nice and accessible but he comes off like a douche who's a huge showoff.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Not too much that isn't common knowledge but still a very good read and pretty objective. It does confirm some things that most of us knew and elaborates on some of them.

In people with egos like Jones it doesn't matter, especially if he has built in excuses for the team's futility regardless of whether or not his actions or lack thereof are a core reason for that futility. His driving forces seem to be recognition, money and prestige. Owning the team takes care of the latter two but ironically, if he truly ceded some authority and the team returned to dominance on the field, it would bring even more money and prestige. The problem is, he would have to relinquish some of the recognition and his ego won't allow that. Just look at how he said that last SB meant more to him than the first two. Bottom line, being validated as a football guy and the recognition that goes along with it is as or more important than the money or prestige. He had the "500 coaches" quote and still some obvious bitterness that Jimmy is even mentioned in conjunction with those first two SB titles.

I also figured that alcohol played something of a role in things and it sounds as though he has a long standing issue with it. Based on reading this, he would probably qualify as a high functioning alcoholic but even a HFA has lapses in judgement. I qualify as one of those but even I couldn't drink until 5 AM than go on TV two hours latter. He's likely self medicating for a mental disorder (Been there) and I wouldn't be surprised if he actually has low self esteem and requires validation to be happy.

Eh. Enough armchair analysis. We're screwed as long as he feels the need to be front and center but we already knew that.
This is a pretty spot on analysis of the situation.

Even though Stephen is a flat out football idiot as well I don't think he has the same chip on his shoulder that Jerry does, the same obsessive need for recognition as a "football guy" or the same megalomaniacal personality type. He may be a new money, alcoholic redneck like his father but I don't think he would delude himself for 20+ years just because he wants to be seen as a "football guy".

That's really all the hope I have with Stephen, he may continue in his father's role for 5 or so years after he dies but I think he will be pragmatic enough to change if/when it fails.

Top Bottom