Training Camp/OTA's Chatter Thread...

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Holy Christ. :lol

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don't know about yall, but I foresee Garrett making mistakes on a whole new level this year

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't know about yall, but I foresee Garrett making mistakes on a whole new level this year
I don't how you can get much worse than running only 7 times up by 23.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I don't how you can get much worse than running only 7 times up by 23.
Ok I just consulted Carnac the Magnificent and he predicts this -ahead by 1 with seconds left in the game on your own 25 yard line and going for it on 4th and 1 with a pass play

Cotton

Staff member
Ok I just consulted Carnac the Magnificent and he predicts this -ahead by 1 with seconds left in the game on your own 25 yard line and going for it on 4th and 1 with a pass play
:lol

Gawd damn, it pisses me off just reading that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What does this guy have to do to get cut? Die?

dallen

Senior Tech
It is impressive that we can injure so many players without pads on

Cotton

Staff member
Dallas OTA observations: Defense wins late

June, 2, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Here are some observations from the Dallas Cowboys’ organized team activities on Monday:

• The Nos. 1 and 2 defenses came up with wins in the two-minute drills against the offense. Linebacker Justin Durant broke up a fourth-down pass from Brandon Weeden to Jason Witten. Weeden was late with a third-down throw to Dez Bryant that could have been a big gain.

• The second-team defense had two would-be sacks to close out their two-minute drill.Martez Wilson came unblocked after the defense blitzed from the strong side.

• Linebacker Kyle Wilber showed some position flexibility by moving to left defensive end in the two-minute drills. He was at least able to battle to a draw with Doug Free.

• Cornerback Morris Claiborne took part in team drills after being limited to individual drills during the first OTA open to the media. With the Cowboys working mostly in their nickel defense, Claiborne got a lot of work on the outside, but Orlando Scandrick continued to work with the starters.

• Wide receiver Terrance Williams had two drops in the early part of practice but came up with a nice sideline catch on a throw from Weeden with safety J.J. Wilcox late with some help.

• Safety Jakar Hamilton came up with a nice pass breakup on a crossing route by Jamar Newsome on a throw from quarterback Caleb Hanie.

• Running back Lance Dunbar killed the backup linebackers in 7-on-7 drills. He ran away from Keith Smith on an underneath route. He lined up in the backfield, in the slot and even motioned wide. Dunbar has the look of a space player Scott Linehan has excelled with in the past in special circumstances.

• Jason Witten was a late arrival to practice because his son had minor surgery Monday. Witten said his son is fine and he was able to take part in all of the team work. Backup tight end Gavin Escobar did not practice because of a sore back. He said he banged his knee in practice last week but that is OK.

• Wide receiver Dwayne Harris did not take part in any offensive team drills but he did return punts during the special teams portion of practice.

• New defensive tackle Terrell McClain showed some burst up the middle to stop a run byDeMarco Murray while playing the three technique. He also played the nose tackle spot for a few snaps with Nick Hayden sitting out.

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Nice to see at least one player in regular season form so soon.
Forget Wilcox. What about Williams continuing with the drops.

That kid has to be solid this year. If not we have issues. At least at times last year Austin being on the field would be threatening that maybe he was still the capable player he once was. He starts dropping things, Romo loses trust, forces more to his BFF.

Cotton

Staff member
Dallas Cowboys release official training camp schedule
By Rainer Sabin
rsabin@dallasnews.com
11:54 am on June 4, 2014 | Permalink

The Cowboys will fly to California for training camp July 22 and practice for the first time two days later, according to the preseason schedule the team released Wednesday.

Dallas will also hold a blue-white scrimmage Aug. 3 in Oxnard, Calif. The Cowboys will then play their first preseason game against San Diego on Aug. 7 before leaving town Aug. 15 and returning to Dallas.

Most of the practices will be open to the public and the majority are scheduled to begin at 6 p.m. central time.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys, Raiders practices taking shape
June, 5, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- With the Dallas Cowboys announcing their tentative training camp schedule on Wednesday, the dates for their possible practices against the Oakland Raiders look to be taking shape.

The Cowboys have a 4 p.m. practice on Aug. 12 and a 9 a.m. practice for Aug. 13 in Oxnard, California, which would seem to fit both teams’ preseason schedules.

The Cowboys open the preseason on Aug. 7 at the San Diego Chargers and break camp on Aug. 15. The Raiders play at the Minnesota Vikings on Aug. 8 and host the Detroit Lions on Aug. 15. The practices on Aug. 12-13 would give the teams a decent break between their first two preseason games.

Speaking at the Cowboys’ sponsors’ golf tournament on Tuesday, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said a plan has not been finalized, but he believes teams benefit from the joint practices. The Cowboys last practiced against another team in 2012 before playing the Chargers in the preseason.

“To me I’ve always looked at it that it’s kind of a change of scenery,” Jones said. “You get to where you’re going against each other every day and it’s the same old, same old. I think anytime you can bring some people to look at it kind of gets everybody a little more motivated again. ... Just working against different schemes, different people, different techniques, different ways of doing things can only be a plus.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Scout's Eye: Some Under The Radar Stories From OTAs

Posted Jun 4, 2014

Bryan Broaddus

Football Analyst/Scout

IRVING, Texas – There’s only so much we can glean from a handful of limited-contact practices in the months before training camp starts. As the Cowboys get deeper into Organized Training Activities, we can fully cover obvious developments like Tony Romo’s recovery progress or the search for Sean Lee’s replacement.

I wanted to take the time to look through some of the lesser-discussed facets of these practices, though. They might not gran headlines, but here are five things that could have big ramifications for the team going forward.

•I have had two opportunities to observe a practice with Scott Linehan as the primary play caller. He is big on putting running backs in the formation as receivers. He is not afraid to put a running back out wide near the sideline or in the slot.

One of the strengths of this running back position is their ability to catch the ball in space. There were times during his college career where DeMarco Murray was lined up as a receiver and had the ball thrown in his direction on the outside. As we work through these OTA practices and minicamps, Linehan will be able to add a wrinkle here and there to this offense and this is one of those opportunities.

•During Monday’s practice, Mackenzy Bernadeau took some snaps with the first offense at left guard. I have written before that a battle for a roster spot could come down to Bernadeau and Tyronne Green, but we should not discount Bernadeau taking a starting spot away from Ronald Leary this summer.

It is not that Leary has been playing poorly, but Bernadeau just might be too good to put on the bench. Leary and Tyron Smith were a nice combination in 2013, but these are the days where you can experiment a little bit with combinations to see how they might work out. I look for Bernadeau to continue to split reps with Leary but also see a fair amount of work at center.

•Been trying to keep track of the wide receiver group and how that is shaking out. When they go into “11” personnel, Cole Beasley comes into the slot with Dez Bryant and Terrance Williams outside. The next receivers off the bench have been rookie Devin Street and LaRon Byrd.

Dwayne Harris has not practiced and L’Damian Washington is out with a sprained shoulder. Tim Benford has been getting work in the slot with Jamar Newsome on the outside. I was told that Newsome had a couple of really nice grabs in the red zone 7-on-7 portion of practice. Chris Boyd has not received as many snaps as the others in this rotation. This is one of those positions where a young guy other than Street might have trouble making the roster.

•Despite the fact that he might not enjoy playing as a defensive end, Martez Wilson is getting plenty of work. Wilson is lining up on both the left and right side. Wilson might not have the power to play on that left side and handle the rush, but as a nickel rusher he brings a little juice.

I can see in the second half of some of these preseason games where he and DeMarcus Lawrence will get plenty of opportunities. Wilson has a little shake when he comes up the field. He is a hard guy for tackles to cleanly get their hands on. In a rotational scheme, he has a chance.

•If you want a Mike linebacker to keep an eye on this summer, Dontavis Sapp from Tennessee might be your guy. We all focus on Justin Durant, DeVonte Holloman and Anthony Hitchens but with Holloman on the sidelines, Sapp has been getting more snaps and hasn’t been disappointing at all.

One of his best traits coming out of college was his ability to play in zone coverage with his drops and his flow to the ball. He had a really nice awareness of where receivers were in routes. There were snaps where he was outstanding in working through the trash and making the tackle.

From what I have been able to observe, his sense of urgency has been better and this was an area that I had some questions about. Like his linebacker partner, Will Smith, I think he will be better when the pads come on.

Top Bottom