Helman - Jones: Colombo Is "Leader In The Clubhouse" For Final Coaching Vacancy

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones: Marc Colombo Is “Leader In The Clubhouse” For Final Coaching Vacancy

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 2:25 PM CST

By David Helman

DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

MOBILE, Ala. – The Cowboys gave all indications a week ago that they’d be retaining the bulk of their coaching staff, and that is indeed the case.

As Senior Bowl practices kicked off Tuesday at Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones confirmed that he had re-signed all of his coaches to new contracts. The timing couldn’t be better, as the coaching staff left for Arizona on Tuesday to coach in the upcoming Pro Bowl.

The only change to the 2015 coaching staff is the one that Cowboys coach Jason Garrett confirmed last week: offensive line coach Bill Callahan accepted a job offer with the Washington Redskins, while assistant offensive line coach Frank Pollack was promoted to the top spot.

No hire has yet been made to fill the assistant offensive line position, but Jones said he’s seriously considering Marc Colombo as a candidate for the vacancy. Colombo started at right tackle for the Cowboys from 2006-10, and he’s been working in the team’s personnel department for the better part of the last year.

“You would really have to think he’s the leader in the clubhouse, because he’s highly, highly respected and thought of by all the members of the staff, and I know firsthand with Jason,” Jones said. “I can tell you the work he’s been doing around our place this year is really admirable.”

Asked about Colombo last week, Garrett declined to speculate on the job opening, but he gave the former offensive linemen a huge vote of confidence.

“You want Colombo on your side. We’ll figure out what to do with him, y’know? He’s fantastic,” Garrett said. “He really embraced his role in personnel and helped our team.”

Jones said Colombo is making the trip to Arizona this week to join the coaching staff during Pro Bowl practices.

“We haven’t done anything definitive yet, but we’ll see how that goes in the weeks ahead,” he added. “I don’t want to get ahead of ourselves here.”

Jones also addressed the future of another member of his coaching staff in Monte Kiffin. The Cowboys demoted Kiffin from the defensive coordinator position following the 2013 season, elevating Rod Marinelli in his place. Kiffin served the past year as a defensive assistant head coach, until his contract expired.

Jones said he’ll determine Kiffin’s future when the coaching staff returns from the Pro Bowl.

“I’ll work with him when he gets back. He’s technically operating under the same contract that he’s had,” he said. “I’ll sit down with him when we’re through with the Pro Bowl and get back after the Super Bowl.”

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
It's a shame that's the "final vacancy" We should have fired and replaced Henderson as DB coach.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's a shame that's the "final vacancy" We should have fired and replaced Henderson as DB coach.
Yeah, he was the one guy I wanted gone. I don't see how he fits in with Marinelli since he was a Ryan guy.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Yeah, he was the one guy I wanted gone. I don't see how he fits in with Marinelli since he was a Ryan guy.
I think a lot of our team's struggles with the scheme's coverage can be laid at the feet of having a DB coach from a man-coverage background.

We should have just hired Ron Meeks or someone else with DC experience in the scheme (there were a few available).

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Ha, Jerry is so out of it he doesn't even know Peter Falk is dead.

Whotta dope

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ha, Jerry is so out of it he doesn't even know Peter Falk is dead.

Whotta dope
You are out of practice, Bob.

Tighten up.

Normally, I would want to punch you in the face after one of your jokes.

data

Forbes #1
Free reign concert for 100,000 fans at the Deathstar is the only demand from Colombo.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I've always liked the assistant to the assistant thing. Developing guys like Colombo and Lett in case our coaches move on to better things. Why we keep trash like Wilson and Henderson around is beyond me, though. If you can't get a 'guru' at least get a young coach with potential.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So you're saying wade Wilson is a Progress Stopper?
Yeah. I don't get the Wilson bashing. The QB position in Dallas hasn't been too trashy over the past few years. How else can you judge a position coach other than the performance of the position?

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Yeah. I don't get the Wilson bashing. The QB position in Dallas hasn't been too trashy over the past few years. How else can you judge a position coach other than the performance of the position?
Our Qb position has been a one trick pony "Romo", or a very long in the tooth vet, he has completely struck out in developing a kid...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Our Qb position has been a one trick pony "Romo", or a very long in the tooth vet, he has completely struck out in developing a kid...
I'm certainly not a Wilson fan, but when have we ever given him an even remotely decent prospect to develop?

Stephen McGee? Ok.

junk

Not So New Member
Unless you count Orton, Wade Wilson hasn't developed any QB in the league of note. In 15 years. That's my complaint

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm certainly not a Wilson fan, but when have we ever given him an even remotely decent prospect to develop?

Stephen McGee? Ok.
I have yet to hear any legitimate reason as to what the negative side is for him other than an occassional " he sucks" expression. That to me is a statement that is a fall back position when you dont have a real opinion.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have yet to hear any legitimate reason as to what the negative side is for him other than an occassional " he sucks" expression. That to me is a statement that is a fall back position when you dont have a real opinion.
No one liked the hire when we made it and so their default just continues to be that they don't like the guy. Wade hasn't done anything in Dallas that would really show either that he is a great coach or a horrible coach. He is just sort of there.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No one liked the hire when we made it and so their default just continues to be that they don't like the guy. Wade hasn't done anything in Dallas that would really show either that he is a great coach or a horrible coach. He is just sort of there.
I don't know where any circumstance has existed that has allowed him to show either. If the benchmark is development then there has not been any legitimate candidate to produce. Certainly not in the past 7 or 8 years. If the benchmark is QB performance, well only Romo has been in place to evaluate the position. In his few absences you have Kitna , Orton, and Weeden who were all groomed elsewhere before coming to Dallas.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If we consider the Wilson tenure alone, Wade's does coincide with Romo's career. Therefore, ......just sayin...

Last edited:
Top Bottom