Cowboys QB Tony Romo: “I can throw it better than I ever have.”

p1_

DCC 4Life
Cowboys QB Tony Romo: “I can throw it better than I ever have.”
By David Moore
dmoore@dallasnews.com
1:24 pm on September 15, 2014 | Permalink

Observers insist Tony Romo doesn’t look right in the first two weeks of the regular season. The consensus is that he doesn’t have the same zip on his passes.

Romo answered repeated questions on his health and arm strength in the wake of the team’s 26-10 victory over Tennessee.

“Listen, I’m telling you guys, the reason I’m excited is because of the way I’m throwing the football,’’ Romo said. “Physically just piercing it when I want to.

“I can throw it better than I ever have. The rest of it is part of the game and footwork and your hips. Did you find the guy at the right time, or are you working here and throwing it over there so it’s like you don’t get anything on it?’’

Romo concedes the subtle aspects of his set-up and delivery are coming along slowly since his back surgery nearly nine months ago. But he said he feels better with each week that goes by and is throwing the ball well down the field.

He said this even though he had only one completion that went for more than 20 yards against the Titans. While he had no interceptions, a sideline out to Jason Witten near the end of the first half would have been intercepted if the tight end hadn’t knocked the ball away from safety Bernard Pollard.

“How about that same route I threw to Cole Beasley on the third down at the end of the game,’’ Romo countered. “It’s actually a tougher route than what I threw to Wit.’’

On third-and-seven early in the fourth quarter, Romo hit Beasley for 10 yards on a comparable pattern to extend what would be the team’s final field goal drive. Owner Jerry Jones, who acknowledged some of Romo’s throws lacked energy, cited that completion to Beasley after the game to express his confidence in the quarterback.

Romo broke down the difference in the throws to Witten and Beasley and why he was able to get more velocity on his throw to Beasley later in the game.

“It’s the end of the half so you’re trying to make the corner go high, because you’ve got to get out of bounds,’’ Romo said of the throw to Witten. “Its 14 seconds, no timeouts. So what you’re going to try to is hold yourself up high so the corner drives up and then at the last second throw it here.

“Your body’s not turned, so it’s really hard. You don’t want to just open up and turn, or the corner comes off.

“So that throw has nothing to do with arm or any of that stuff. It’s more body and getting yourself in position. That’s always a hard throw at the end of the half. It looks easy. It’s just not.’’

And the pass to Beasley?

“I’m just right in here and he breaks out and you throw it and it’s right on target,’’ Romo said as he displayed how he moved his feet and positioned his body to make the throw.

“If I’m able to just drop back and throw the ball, I’ve never thrown it as well as I am. But you’re going to be looking for more stuff, and then the little things that come up, that you guys will find.’’

Carp

DCC 4Life
When he has time to set up and step into it, sure the ball looks good. However, his trademark was scrambling around and then throwing a dart...and he just is not capable of doing that anymore.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Yeah, Tony, everyone's looking for reasons to doubt you. Whatever.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Better than he ever has? That's BS.

His passes don't have much zip and he's throwing some ducks too. That could be a result of a back that isn't fully healed, but the point remains - he isn't throwing it better than he ever has and to suggest otherwise is foolish.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think physically Romo is fine. I just don't think he is in playing shape yet and I don't think he is mentally back yet and I'm not sure he will ever mentally come back all the way. He is an older guy and he certainly looks gun shy out there.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think physically Romo is fine. I just don't think he is in playing shape yet and I don't think he is mentally back yet and I'm not sure he will ever mentally come back all the way. He is an older guy and he certainly looks gun shy out there.
That's what I think also. The media is trying to create a bad back story. If his back fails we will all know and it won't be a matter of asking him. It will be physically obvious.

p1_

DCC 4Life
It will be physically obvious.
I think their notion of 'physically obvious' entails his scrambling capacity, perceived arm strength and accuracy. To some, these are indicators as to his physical state, as opposed to whether he slumps, limps, winces or grimaces.

Last edited:

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think their notion of 'physically obvious' entails his scrambling capacity, perceived arm strength and accuracy. To some, these are indicators as to his physical state, as opposed to whether he slumps, limps, winces or grimaces.
That could also be attributed to no being in playing shape yet. He hasn't gotten himself physically ready nor has he had the practice reps yet. He is just now doing a full week of practice. The real story is still obscured by all this. If he continues this trend half way into the season maybe these things will be indicators. I stlil contend there is nothing tangible to indicate that a back problem is the exclusive reason to his performance. Time will tell.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Tony Romo misses practice with back tightness, says he’ll be fine, ready to go Thursday

By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
3:28 pm on September 17, 2014 | Permalink

IRVING – Tony Romo did not participate in Wednesday’s practice because he was experiencing tightness in his surgically-repaired back.

However, the Dallas Cowboys quarterback took part in Wednesday’s walk-through and said he’d be back on the field Thursday.

“Like we said throughout training camp, you have to be smart,” Romo said Wednesday. “It’s just part of you understanding when your back gets tight, you’ve got to do those things and you’ve got to go and do gluts, abs and hammer out functional strength stuff in the weight room and do a lot of things to enhance that. It’s been good.”

Romo hasn’t looked like himself during the Cowboys’ first two games. His mobility and arm strength haven’t resembled the player he was before his December back surgery to repair a herniated disk. Romo insists that he’s fine, even acknowledging Wednesday that he could throw 50 times on Sunday if needed.

But it’s probably not the last time he’ll miss a practice this season.

“It’s going to happen,” Romo said. “It’s going to pop up. I’m sure it’ll happen throughout the rest of the season. You’ll see a day here or there. It’s the same as the arm.

“It’s just obviously more talked about because of having surgery on the back. You play this game. It’s a very violent, physical game, and you throw the ball a lot and you do all these things. Sometimes it’s just that tightness stuff comes up. You prefer obviously to do everything 100 percent of the time, but you can’t always do that.

“I’ll be fine. I’ll be good to go tomorrow.”

So what did Romo miss out on?

“Wednesday is a lot of our run game stuff,” he said. “The installation part of it, though, you know you have that stuff down before you go out on the field. It’s not like you’re just catching on when you’re out there. I’ve had plenty of meetings and communication and walk-throughs.”

Romo, who has thrown for 457 yards, two touchdowns and three interceptions in two games, was limited throughout training camp, missing a total of seven practices.

“You learn along the way,” Romo said. “I mean, you want to go and do everything 100 percent. When you’re coming off surgery you have to be smart with how the process goes and I think we’ve been that way and we’ll continue to be that way.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, so much for that better physically thing.

Fact is, it is downhill from here. And since he is not at the level of Peyton Manning where his brains are just as important to his game, it might be a good time to start thinking about the future. I would have started it this past draft.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Jerry Pt Barnum Jones says Romo is ok....so ya know...Romo is good to go.

:dunce

p1_

DCC 4Life
But golly gosh booze.......

p1_

DCC 4Life
I just noticed his throwing hand looks disproportionately small. It's creepy...

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Top Bottom