MacMahon: Cowboys' Henry Melton getting back in flow

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' Henry Melton getting back in flow
September, 15, 2014

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- This was a glimpse of the Henry Melton the Dallas Cowboys hoped they were getting.

Melton is still chipping off rust after missing the final 13 games of last season with a knee injury and sitting out the entire preseason due to a strained groin, but he made an impact in the Cowboys' 26-10 victory Sunday against the Tennessee Titans.

Melton, the former Pro Bowl defensive tackle the Cowboys are counting on to provide an interior pass-rushing threat, split a sack with Kyle Wilber in the first half. He got credited with a hurry. And he had a hand in the Cowboys’ biggest defensive play of the game, deflecting a pass to allow linebacker Rolando McClain to make a remarkable, diving interception.

“I'm still trying to get my rhythm out there,” Melton said. “I'm improving and my wind is getting better.”

The Cowboys only sacked Titans quarterback Jake Locker twice, but they got relatively consistent pressure, particularly in the first half. Locker finished with 234 yards and a touchdown with two interceptions on 18-of-34 passing. He was only 4-of-12 for 26 yards and a pick at halftime, when Dallas had a 16-0 lead.

Melton played a prominent role in Locker’s long day.

“Even when I wasn't in the game, I felt like we were getting a lot of push, making him uncomfortable,” Melton said. “We've still got a ways to go as a rush front, but I thought we did some great things.”

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
“Even when I wasn't in the game, I felt like we were getting a lot of push, making him uncomfortable,” Melton said. “We've still got a ways to go as a rush front, but I thought we did some great things.”
He is right. There was at least push.

Far more than we ever got last year where teams could just shove the ends out wide and stand their ground inside without fear.

Now the opposing OL is devoting more attention inside. We also appear to be shading the linemen a lot differently.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

Far more than we ever got last year where teams could just shove the ends out wide and stand their ground inside without fear.

Now the opposing OL is devoting more attention inside. We also appear to be shading the linemen a lot differently.
Yep, and just wait til Spencer comes back. :mj

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Our D-line is definitely knocking dudes back. We still lack any real speed rushers who can turn the corner but otherwise I like what I'm seeing. We are getting a legitimate push up the middle and it's coming from multiple guys. Hell even our DEs are knocking people backwards. It at least makes the QB uncomfortable.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Yeah, while it hasn't translated into sacks we're at least getting some pressure on the QB and they may improve after they've played together for awhile. We were so hamstrung by injuries last year, we were constantly shuffling people in and out so they never had a chance to gel as a unit. It was the 2013 version of the season awhile back where the same thing was happening on the offensive line.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yep, and just wait til Spencer comes back. :mj
I have my doubts but I would like to be wrong. If he comes back to the lineup I think he will hobble back to the bench. I really don't expect him to try to play this year. I think he is just biding his time this season then he unpacks his Ratliff kit. Again I really hope I am wrong.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
If the Cowboys keep dominating time of possession the defensive front has a chance to build confidence and become a very consistent unit.

I would love to have seen a game against the 49ers where the QB didn't commit three ridiculous unforced errors.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I have my doubts but I would like to be wrong. If he comes back to the lineup I think he will hobble back to the bench. I really don't expect him to try to play this year. I think he is just biding his time this season then he unpacks his Ratliff kit. Again I really hope I am wrong.
If he was like Ratliff he would not be at the facility at all working out or would not have come back to this team at all, the two situations are nothing alike.

Ratliff did not want to be here Spencer does, you don't fake microfracture surgery, now he might not play another productive down for the Cowboys but there is no inkling of proof that he is milking a fantom injury.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If he was like Ratliff he would not be at the facility at all working out or would not have come back to this team at all, the two situations are nothing alike.

Ratliff did not want to be here Spencer does, you don't fake microfracture surgery, now he might not play another productive down for the Cowboys but there is no inkling of proof that he is milking a fantom injury.
I agree the only similarities in the situations is that neither guy may play another down for us. I have no doubt Spencer wants to be back on the field. The problem is microfracture surgery is often a career ender. I just don't have a lot of confidence that he will be able to play at a high level once he has recovered.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Yes there is an "inkling". He should be further along with his conditioning and practice activity by now if the surgery was successful. It s easy enough to know whether it was successful it has had more than ample time to be healed. As I recall it has been about a year and that is more than sufficient time to know. He should be further along in the process of rejoining the team.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Yes there is an "inkling". He should be further along with his conditioning and practice activity by now if the surgery was successful. It s easy enough to know whether it was successful it has had more than ample time to be healed. As I recall it has been about a year and that is more than sufficient time to know. He should be further along in the process of rejoining the team.

Oops .

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would love to have seen a game against the 49ers where the QB didn't commit three ridiculous unforced errors.
I think we would have won that game had it not been for Romo.

Jiggyfly

Banned

Oops .
Return from this type of injury is 9 to 12 months its been 10 months since his surgery.

Show me one thing that says he is behind schedule and while you are at it show me anything that says his conditioning is behind.

He had his surgery 10 months ago that's the same timeline Kenny Phillips and John Beason had before they returned and even if it is longer its quite a leap to say he is pulling a Ratliff.

You making proclamations of where he should be has no merit or do you have access to the doctors that we don't know of or are you just making shit up?

Oops Indeed.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Return from this type of injury is 9 to 12 months its been 10 months since his surgery.

Show me one thing that says he is behind schedule and while you are at it show me anything that says his conditioning is behind.

He had his surgery 10 months ago that's the same timeline Kenny Phillips and John Beason had before they returned and even if it is longer its quite a leap to say he is pulling a Ratliff.

You making proclamations of where he should be has no merit or do you have access to the doctors that we don't know of or are you just making shit up?

Oops Indeed.
First oops was for the double post. The normal rehab time for his type surgery is 4 to 6 months. Don't take my word for it look it up yourself. That would still leave 4 months for him to train toward football. He hasn't made a practice yet.

Jiggyfly

Banned
First oops was for the double post. The normal rehab time for his type surgery is 4 to 6 months. Don't take my word for it look it up yourself. That would still leave 4 months for him to train toward football. He hasn't made a practice yet.
I did look it up and the lowest time was 6 months and that's depending on how much cartilage is gone, I gave you 2 examples of football players on this exact timetable were they also milking it?

This type of surgery has no exact timetable because each persons cartilage growth is different.

You are the only person saying he should be ok by now there has been nobody around the team saying the same if this was an issue at least one writer covering the team would have said something.

The fact that you think this injury has a specific timetable shows how much you do not know.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I did look it up and the lowest time was 6 months and that's depending on how much cartilage is gone, I gave you 2 examples of football players on this exact timetable were they also milking it?

This type of surgery has no exact timetable because each persons cartilage growth is different.

You are the only person saying he should be ok by now there has been nobody around the team saying the same if this was an issue at least one writer covering the team would have said something.

The fact that you think this injury has a specific timetable shows how much you do not know.
This article estimates 6 month which I stated 4 to 6 months and I stated 6 months as well which one could return to activity. That's 4 months to train for football activities. By this time if he is going to have a successful rehab he and the doctors would know. Either he isn't rehabbing successfully or he is laying low. Either scenario has bad connotations.

http://lermagazine.com/article/rehabilitation-following-microfracture-surgery

dallen

Senior Tech
If the Cowboys keep dominating time of possession the defensive front has a chance to build confidence and become a very consistent unit.

The best way to hide a bad defense is to keep them off the field

Top Bottom