UDFA Signings

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
All of this depends on how these players are ranked just because he is 12 on your board does not mean he is comparable to your top 5 players.

You are using that 12 ranking like all 12 of the players are interchangeable, there are tiers to every draft and this draft had 5 players and then everybody else.

Like Geng said you get in trouble overdrafting QB's especially of you have a group of players who are rated that much higher.

I don't see how you think he was 10-20 rated player and then say take him at 4 that is the definition of reaching.
Yep.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You are using that 12 ranking like all 12 of the players are interchangeable, there are tiers to every draft and this draft had 5 players and then everybody else.

Like Geng said you get in trouble overdrafting QB's especially of you have a group of players who are rated that much higher.
Oh gtfo of here with that tier bullshit. You never wanted a first round QB and this draft didn't have a top tier. That's why everyone bitched and moaned all offseason.

Reaching for a second round QB is one thing. But reaching for the 12th best player with the 4th pick isn't some horrible game of chicken as you suggest. Its actually a good move if you want a QB.

I have no problem with Geng thinking Lynch is a secomd roumd QB. That debate has come and gone. But if the guy is 12 on your board. You shouldn't be afraid to burn the first round pick and you shouldn't be afraid to use your second and third on him.

If he is your 42nd player on your board. Different story. Christian Ponder looked like a third round prospect at best.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Oh gtfo of here with that tier bullshit. You never wanted a first round QB and this draft didn't have a top tier. That's why everyone bitched and moaned all offseason.

Reaching for a second round QB is one thing. But reaching for the 12th best player with the 4th pick isn't some horrible game of chicken as you suggest. Its actually a good move if you want a QB.

I have no problem with Geng thinking Lynch is a secomd roumd QB. That debate has come and gone. But if the guy is 12 on your board. You shouldn't be afraid to burn the first round pick and you shouldn't be afraid to use your second and third on him.

If he is your 42nd player on your board. Different story. Christian Ponder looked like a third round prospect at best.
I wanted Goff in this draft and would not have been upset with Wentz at 4.

There is a reason a guy is ranked 12, that means you think 11 other players are better it's common sense.

Just because a guy is a QB you should not move him up just because, you should always be afraid to reach on a guy when there is better talent available and other positions of need.

Anytime you pick a QB it's a game of chicken that's why the bust rate is so high.

You keep talking like all drafts are equal and the 12th ranked player in any draft would be ranked the same, all of those QB's from Rothlesbergers class would have been picked before these guys and if it was last year Lynch would have been a 2nd round pick.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The board rankings are not linear and based on talent, fit, and need.

The QB's already have been elevated well beyond their talent level because of the need. Even with that going for him, Lynch only made it to 12.

You'd be willing to trade a 3rd round pick every few picks earlier than 12, so the leap from 12 to 4 is a very big gap.

Elliott is a better player than Lynch by every measure. Why screw yourself talent wise? Especially with Romo at QB for at least two years if not more.

Genghis Khan

The board rankings are not linear and based on talent, fit, and need.

The QB's already have been elevated well beyond their talent level because of the need. Even with that going for him, Lynch only made it to 12.

You'd be willing to trade a 3rd round pick every few picks earlier than 12, so the leap from 12 to 4 is a very big gap.

Elliott is a better player than Lynch by every measure. Why screw yourself talent wise? Especially with Romo at QB for at least two years if not more.
Exactly. The difference between4 and 12 is pretty big.

townsend

Banned
The difference between pick #2 and #3 was larger than the difference between #3 and #15. The First tier was Wentz and Goff, the second tier was the better part of the first round. God knows why Joey Bosa is picked high, but Tunsil falls nearly ten spots. Most of the best guys in this draft had red flags that would have dropped them out of the top ten in any other draft, and guys like Buckner and Elliot would have been mid 1st round prospects the year before or next year. Lynch on the other hand would probably have gone about the same spot last year, and top 5 in a draft without a better QB.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Especially with Romo at QB for at least two years if not more.
How can you be so generous with Romo's window? I think Elliotts presence buys Tony some time, but to a point.

Romo will take many more shots to the same location, and from this point forward, there will be a collective
cringe from this crew as well as all Cowboy fans each time he goes down on a shoulder. To think theres 32 games and
potentially some post season play left for Romo is hopeful, but Im not so sure it's realistic. Much less 3+ seasons...

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How can you be so generous with Romo's window? I think Elliotts presence buys Tony some time, but to a point.

Romo will take many more shots to the same location, and from this point forward, there will be a collective
cringe from this crew as well as all Cowboy fans each time he goes down on a shoulder. To think theres 32 games and
potentially some post season play left for Romo is hopeful, but Im not so sure it's realistic.
I think Romo is a ticking time bomb. Maybe it happens this season, he breaks his collar bone again and calls it quits. Maybe he lasts 3 more years before it explodes. I don't know, but when you're dealing with a 36 year old with multiple chronic injuries the odds are that it happens sooner rather then later.

Genghis Khan

And no one at 12 was looking to make that move. Because there was no one worth it.
Because of what it would have cost.

I mean seriously, this whole discussion is about whether we should have just taken the 26th player taken in the draft at 4. At 4.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because of what it would have cost.

I mean seriously, this whole discussion is about whether we should have just taken the 26th player taken in the draft at 4. At 4.
It's not really though, that's hindsight. What the discussion really is, is do you take the 12th best player in the draft at 4, if that player is a QB and you need a QB. That's the real discussion. You can pretend that you knew he would fall to 26 but you really had no idea. Hell if the Cowboys could have found a trading partner they would have taken him sooner then that. Presumably other teams as well.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It's not really though, that's hindsight. What the discussion really is, is do you take the 12th best player in the draft at 4, if that player is a QB and you need a QB. That's the real discussion.
Simply put everything should be factored into your board, and I think this was the case for Dallas. The board does not reflect only talent, but is the final draft order period.

If they wanted the QB irrespective of talent level, then Lynch should have been #3 on their board. It's that simple.

I think you don't take the 12th guy on your board until as close to pick 12 (or later) as you can get.

Top Bottom