Woman Confronting Man at Walmart Using Food Stamps

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'm not against food stamps at all. I just wish that the church would get off their asses and do their duty rather than leave it to the government and then bitch.
The church would restrict the program as to what would be made available. Our church works in tandem with other congregations toward a community food bank.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The church would restrict the program as to what would be made available. Our church works in tandem with other congregations toward a community food bank.
Ours was giving away 10k plus per month when they realized that it was often the same people with the same problems each month with no end in site. So they created a really good program called STEPS that is community and based. It is a 52 week program with trained life coaches and specific steps to take. I've seen some people go from poverty to productive. It is really cool.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'm not against food stamps at all. I just wish that the church would get off their asses and do their duty rather than leave it to the government and then bitch.
The government can smooth the process by making it easier for supermarkets and restaurants to donate excess food to community food banks.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Probably more so with denominations. Those are shrinking quickly though.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The government can smooth the process by making it easier for supermarkets and restaurants to donate excess food to community food banks.
Well, it is the government so don't expect that soon. Look at adoption, we have orphans everywhere and it is difficult to adopt.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Well, it is the government so don't expect that soon. Look at adoption, we have orphans everywhere and it is difficult to adopt.
And it's damned easy to be a foster parent and get paid. This fucking country. :lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you pay taxes and don't take the benefits it makes as much sense as the government forcing you to get car insurance and then insisting that you pay for the damage yourself when you have a wreck. I don't give a shit if people have 'shame' or not. 40% of the food produced in this country is thrown away, most of it when it's still good. I'd rather some poor people eat it.
Well hell, government should just give everyone foodstamps then. There is enough food produced, might as well just have the government hand it out to everyone.

By the way, I think your example is actually exactly what foodstamps should be used for. Honestly though, I know a lot of people who would be eligible for food stamps that are too embarrassed to get them. Most of those same people actually eat with no problem. I certainly wouldn't want anyone in this country to be starving to death. Or even suffering from hunger. Especially not children who aren't even able to work.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Ours was giving away 10k plus per month when they realized that it was often the same people with the same problems each month with no end in site. So they created a really good program called STEPS that is community and based. It is a 52 week program with trained life coaches and specific steps to take. I've seen some people go from poverty to productive. It is really cool.
That is the problem. It is a temporary assist for some but it also becomes just another place for some to frequent permanently.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
And it's damned easy to be a foster parent and get paid. This fucking country. :lol
A lot of the programs are simply tools to create a voter base for some politicians. The programs make the recipient depend on them and ensure their vote to be retained.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you pay taxes and don't take the benefits it makes as much sense as the government forcing you to get car insurance and then insisting that you pay for the damage yourself when you have a wreck.
And what if you don't pay for car insurance? Should the insurance company pay for your car too?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That is the problem. It is a temporary assist for some but it also becomes just another place for some to frequent permanently.
That's what is cool about STEPS. They want you to make a Life Plan. It isn't easy to get into the program, there are requirements.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I honestly didn't listen to all that he said. I realize that welfare in on another level due to the stigma of possibly not doing your fair share. The thing is that we ALL take full advantage of tax benefits on other levels, right? The middle classes, upper class and lower class all look for loopholes. I'm not surprised at all.
Nice point.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I think that should be the basis of the overall welfare system more job life skills training, there is some of that now but it needs to be revamped big time.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Well hell, government should just give everyone foodstamps then. There is enough food produced, might as well just have the government hand it out to everyone.
That would cause a runaway in prices, IMO, they need to direct the food stamp money into food banks and buy the food that's in danger of getting thrown away at 1/4 price and give it to poor people at the food bank. That way there's no fraud, no selling food stamps for cash or any of that nonsense.

By the way, I think your example is actually exactly what foodstamps should be used for. Honestly though, I know a lot of people who would be eligible for food stamps that are too embarrassed to get them. Most of those same people actually eat with no problem. I certainly wouldn't want anyone in this country to be starving to death. Or even suffering from hunger. Especially not children who aren't even able to work.
I was too embarrassed to get food stamps until I ran out of money. By that time I had been looking for work for six months (I was a certified teacher but no districts were hiring in 2010) I went through a great deal of personal savings and took a $1000 loan from my brother before I did it. I hate to say it but I made my wife go file the papers. Kind of irrationally thought they'd deny me for being a grown man who couldn't find work in the middle of a recession. I didn't buy any steak with those food stamps either. I learned to eat poor growing up. I bought a little bacon and Wal Mart frozen ground turkey and a lot of rice and some flour and a few pounds of beans. I calculated that rice was cheaper than potatoes or pasta based on final food volume. I had 3 dogs and I couldn't afford dog food, so I kept all the grease from my meat and made them some gravy and rice to eat. It was summer in central Texas and I turned off the AC. My wife and I slept during the day, we'd take cold showers to cool off, and I'd fill out applications all night hoping I'd have the gas money to get to an interview. I was told I had a job twice. Once Big Brothers Big Sisters wanted me as a supervisor and someone else came in and got it. Another time a quarry demolitions company liked my science teacher background and was going to hire me to drill holes to put explosives in. I drove to Texarkana, Ft Stockton, Childress and Beeville for interviews and that takes up most of Texas if you draw the points of that diamond.

So I'm a goddamn welfare bum. Might as well write me off cause I ran out of food one time while I was trying to get a job.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Churches restrict who they donate to, to increase their membership and their "goal" to reach as many people as possible.

Come at me, bro.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
BTW, I was mostly kidding. Don't come at me.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I think that should be the basis of the overall welfare system more job life skills training, there is some of that now but it needs to be revamped big time.
Skills training would help a ton but more needs to be done. We don't have a standard of character anymore. That is a grassroots type of change that needs to happen.

Top Bottom